Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England vs Bangladesh

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Care to share what that's all about?

When the England Cricket Chairman Colin Graves hinted at a KP return, Selvey wrote an article in the Gruaniad saying it was undermining Moores and Downton, called KP a fruit fly that would not go away, and a pest. He has consistently backed Paul Downton, the managing director of England, who was appointed to the job after a 15 year career in the City of London, and was instrumental in KP's sacking.

Selvey didn't however mention that he and Downton both played together for Middlesex for many years. I asked him on Twitter why had we still not been told the reasons for KP's sacking, given that the legal embargo was over, and saying his analysis was inaccurate. He sent back a snotty Tweet back saying how did I know it's inaccurate.

Today I sent him back a message following the defeat asking if he was going to say was KP still responsible, and he then went off in a TAMMY HUFF and blocked me, ****.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How exactly is Mike Selvey 'establishment'?

Former Middlesex and England player now has a cosy existence writing about the game for the Grauniad, mates with Downton, doesn't rock the boat, but happy to give both barrels to a pain in the arse Saffer like KP who didn't go to the right university (unlike Downton (Durham) or Selvey (Cambridge).

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
When the England Cricket Chairman Colin Graves hinted at a KP return, Selvey wrote an article in the Gruaniad saying it was undermining Moores and Downton, called KP a fruit fly that would not go away, and a pest. He has consistently backed Paul Downton, the managing director of England, who was appointed to the job after a 15 year career in the City of London, and was instrumental in KP's sacking.

Selvey didn't however mention that he and Downton both played together for Middlesex for many years. I asked him on Twitter why had we still not been told the reasons for KP's sacking, given that the legal embargo was over, and saying his analysis was inaccurate. He sent back a snotty Tweet back saying how did I know it's inaccurate.

Today I sent him back a message following the defeat asking if he was going to say was KP still responsible, and he then went off in a TAMMY HUFF and blocked me, ****.

All clear :thumbsup:

He's a bit of a Twunt isn't he?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Former Middlesex and England player now has a cosy existence writing about the game for the Grauniad, mates with Downton, doesn't rock the boat, but happy to give both barrels to a pain in the arse Saffer like KP who didn't go to the right university (unlike Downton (Durham) or Selvey (Cambridge).

I see, interesting, and there was me thinking Selvey was a bit anti-establishment after his falling out with the BBC, and various criticisms of the ECB prior to Downton. Thanks for the informative reply.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I see, interesting, and there was me thinking Selvey was a bit anti-establishment after his falling out with the BBC, and various criticisms of the ECB prior to Downton. Thanks for the informative reply.

Selvey has always NUDGED the boat in the past. Interesting block of EP though.

For me Selvey has a point. England's problems may be currently sitting heavily at Downton and Moores' door but they started with KP's ego.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
[tweet]574907892786053121[/tweet]

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Downton, Moores, KP the ECB in general, where do you stop? It's a collective shambles from top to bottom run by people still living in the 19th century who have just been blinded by TV money for T20 cricket. The county game gets marginalised and the England team milked with incessant touring. There seems to be no plan in place to oversee in an improvement of playing standards or to increase the social mobility between the county set up and the England side.

In a country that is spectacularly let down by its sporting governing bodies the ECB excel at being the dimmest and most shambolic.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He did say we were missing Trott, he also said 'We'll have to analyse the game data', he is so hopeless out of his depth.

That said, I have a lot of time for Trott, just not the solution right now!!

Here's some data for you Pete

We lost to a team rated 77 in the last set of rankings
They scored 275. We scored 260
We failed to bat out 50 overs

Get rid now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Selvey has always NUDGED the boat in the past. Interesting block of EP though. For me he has a point. England's problems may be currently sitting heavily at Downton and Moores' door but they started with KP's ego.

That's an alternative point of view and worthy of debate.

Having a different opinion is healthy, denying someone a right of reply (as Selvey has done) because they don't share your opinion isn't though.....IMO. He's happy to dish it out but lacks the cajones to take it back.

I'm still recovering from Peter Moore's post match comments about the loss of Jonathan Trott 12 months ago and how it contributed to England's departure from the tournament.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's an alternative point of view and worthy of debate.

Having a different opinion is healthy, denying someone a right of reply (as Selvey has done) because they don't share your opinion isn't though.....IMO. He's happy to dish it out but lacks the cajones to take it back.

Entirely fair point. Typical of Billy Big Bollox jounos who find Joe Public beneath them, even when they've got a point. It's one reason I like debating on here. Everyone's got a voice, however mental....

I'm still recovering from Peter Moore's post match comments about the loss of Jonathan Trott 12 months ago and how it contributed to England's departure from the tournament.

REALLY? FFS. I turned the telly off as the last wicket fell.

As an aside I've been to a couple of Ashes games in Oz but never in the UK. My mate has tickets for Day 2 of Egbaston this year. I'm going to need a lot of booze aren't I?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Both his and Morgan's post match interviews were appalling. There is a reality block within the England camp at the moment, like there is just a bit of tweaking to be done, or a left arm spinner to discover.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Entirely fair point. Typical of Billy Big Bollox jounos who find Joe Public beneath them, even when they've got a point. It's one reason I like debating on here. Everyone's got a voice, however mental....

REALLY? FFS. I turned the telly off as the last wicket fell.

As an aside I've been to a couple of Ashes games in Oz but never in the UK. My mate has tickets for Day 2 of Egbaston this year. I'm going to need a lot of booze aren't I?

Test cricket is not the same and we will not be as bad. We need different approaches to test and limited overs format but have failed to do that

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Barber out!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bangladesh have a population of 156 million, no way England can cope against that.

They're not all playing at the same time are they've? Christ where would you get those singles ?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Test cricket is not the same and we will not be as bad. We need different approaches to test and limited overs format but have failed to do that

We'll see whether it is not as bad over the next 12 months....

I'd hazard a guess that it is just as bad. We may beat a West Indies in complete melt down (if we don't we may as well just give the game up...), but both NZ and of course Australia will provide stern tests at home this summer. We then end the year in South Africa. I might actually see what the odds are of England losing 11 test matches in a row.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Downton, Moores, KP the ECB in general, where do you stop? It's a collective shambles from top to bottom run by people still living in the 19th century who have just been blinded by TV money for T20 cricket. The county game gets marginalised and the England team milked with incessant touring. There seems to be no plan in place to oversee in an improvement of playing standards or to increase the social mobility between the county set up and the England side.

In a country that is spectacularly let down by its sporting governing bodies the ECB excel at being the dimmest and most shambolic.

This. I saw us lose a Final in Oz in 1992 we should have won, and it's been downhill ever since. Back in 1992 Sri Lanka were treated by the "Establishment" as a joke, and Bangladesh were just a place George Harrison had sung about.

They are stuck in a Neo-colonial past, I just hope Afghanistan beat them. On R5 this morning Boycs was willing Bangladesh to win. Make him Chair of a new TCB!!

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
We'll see whether it is not as bad over the next 12 months....

I'd hazard a guess that it is just as bad. We may beat a West Indies in complete melt down (if we don't we may as well just give the game up...), but both NZ and of course Australia will provide stern tests at home this summer. We then end the year in South Africa. I might actually see what the odds are of England losing 11 test matches in a row.
Having purchased my tickets for Lords tests against Oz and NZ wondered if I should see if Lords will take them back and give me a refund

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Both his and Morgan's post match interviews were appalling. There is a reality block within the England camp at the moment, like there is just a bit of tweaking to be done, or a left arm spinner to discover.

how about 5 blokes with a decent set of nuts.....( each , not between them) that would do for a start.........we are just dog shyte at the moment, as long as we are relying on Bell....( ffs did he think he was in a test match at the wanderers)......we just don't have the flair or mentality for this format of the game.....we are the old ladies of cricket and a fecking embarrassment to the flag/shirt/country/barmy army whatever bla blah blah blah .......shiiiiiite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here