Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Next time someone tells you cricket is boring you can either smile knowingly because you clearly know something they don't.
Or you could waste your breath trying to explain

People say football’s boring, but when you’re invested in it, you can’t live without it.

...I think my signature sums it up.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I think Stokes has moved into the realm of Botham. Yes he is a fantastic cricketer but he is more than that. The opposition see him as iconic just as we did Botham.
Shane Warne had the same affect on the opposition.
Botham won so many series from shear personality as did Warne.
Don’t make him Captain. It didn’t work with Botham and Warne.
We have waited for a long time for the new Botham. Just enjoy him/

Spot on :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Brilliant as today was, Smith was not playing. If he was Australia would win this game easily.

I get what you're saying, but he would have played instead of Labuschagne, who was the only Aussie to score runs in both innings. I don't think it would have been much different.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Further to SweatyMexican's post, I was chatting about this with a colleague at work after Stokes smashed the winning runs...

England's cricket World Cup final win.
Manchester United's Champions' League victory over Bayern Munich.
Michael Thomas's title winning goal at Anfield.
Aguerrrrrrrrrrroooooooo!
Reinelt.

And that's just two sports in our little corner of the world. Sport's ability to create the most astonishing drama is remarkable. It does it time and again. It's utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things yet, sometimes, it means absolutely everything.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I get what you're saying, but he would have played instead of Labuschagne, who was the only Aussie to score runs in both innings. I don't think it would have been much different.

Its amazing Labuschagne was not in Australia's squad with hind sight. He's performed better than most of their established batsmen.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Its amazing Labuschagne was not in Australia's squad with hind sight. He's performed better than most of their established batsmen.

Sometimes a bit of hunger and desire from fresh faces spurs them on. Established batsmen (or footballers for that matter) can grow sloppy with no competition behind them. If their place in the team is up for grabs, they’ll be desperate to show they deserve a spot.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am of the mind we did the groundwork yesterday, I know we're all chewing our nails off, but if one partnership could reel off a quick hundred the Aussies will start doubting themselves.

Thanks for liking this. By the way I was going out, mate turned up, two pints later, going out!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wow. Astonashing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Brilliant as today was, Smith was not playing. If he was Australia would win this game easily.
If Anderson hadn't got injured, we'd probably have won the first test. If it hadn't rained, we'd have won the second. Today we saw the greatest ever test innings by an Englishman, and you want to hypothesise about if the opponents were different? :rolleyes:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ifs buts and maybes. . . . .cant wait for the next test, and I sincerely hope both camps make changes to up the Game!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If Anderson hadn't got injured, we'd probably have won the first test. If it hadn't rained, we'd have won the second. Today we saw the greatest ever test innings by an Englishman, and you want to hypothesise about if the opponents were different? :rolleyes:

Fair point.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Think it was Paul Parker in the covers for Sussex. Barclay was a slip fielder.

Indeed, Paul Parker was an exceptional fielder at Cover/Cover Point , the Jonty Rhodes of his day.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Erm his replacement was just as good, if not better. How would they have done if we had Anderson in attack ? And if they didn’t have rain on their side? Ashes would now be almost over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here