Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England versus Honduras unofficial Match Thread

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Expect a lot of this at the World Cup. South American sides are almost all dirty *******s. Lots of red cards I'm thinking especially with angry Latino referees & raucous atmospheres.

Agreed on red cards at this World Cup.

Even Brasil themselves are very capable in the physical department if they need to be. Just part of the game down there it seems, and plenty of gamesmanship.

In African football - some of the challenges that fly around in the African Cup of Nations games are eye watering! Not so cynical as the South Americans though, more 'over enthusiastic' than anything :lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know it's a friendly but this whole affair is a shockingly sh*t shambles of a sporting event.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure England had some fairly bad friendly results in the lead up to Italia 90. Can't remember who (someone North African- Tunisia, perhaps?). Bobby Robson was slaughtered by the media. We ended up having our best World Cup in 24 years.

Whatever goes on here, it has no bearing on World Cup results.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sturridge has missed 3 or 4 great chances tonight. I wonder how many of those Ricky Lambert would have buried?

This. I'd fancy Lambert as a flat track bully against lesser sides, certainly. As opposed to Rooney who is bang average in an England shirt, whatever the opposition.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If Sturridge had put his chances away this would have looked a good workout. I think we've played well overall.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Aparrently there are 3 Palacios brothers in the Honduras squad - Wilson Palacios, Gerry Palacios and Crystal Palacios.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I think we've played well. Some real positives too, Barclay in particular. At the end of the day, it's only a friendly.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I do hate all this flicking/tappy stuff around the edge of the box - it looks good when it works but the success rate is appaling. Just ***king spank it in.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Good workout tonight, don't really care about the performance

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure England had some fairly bad friendly results in the lead up to Italia 90. Can't remember who (someone North African- Tunisia, perhaps?). Bobby Robson was slaughtered by the media. We ended up having our best World Cup in 24 years.

To be fair, I suspect Hyperion is referring more to the nature of the game than the result or England's performance.

Honduras have been shameful and the thunderstorm break, also out of our control, has only added to the shambles.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think we've played well. Some real positives too, Barclay in particular. At the end of the day, it's only a friendly.

This. Result means nothing really, I really am more positive than I have been for a long time about England, maybe misguided but got to have hope :thumbsup:

Just lacked that final cutting edge & competitive spark.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder how much stick Welbeck would have got if he'd missed the chances (and played in a general sense as) Sturridge has. Not been hugely impressed with Sturridge tonight.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Friendly or whatever.

Same old.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

I remember that hence my acknowledgment that is is only a warm up match. That aside, I would have liked to have seen a bit more creativity.

Honduras are are clearly a team of cloggers. The example you make is fair but rare.

I think the heat and will be too much for us poor old fair weather centric blighters

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here