Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v West Indies 2nd test

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I don't understand the selection of Robinson, a fine first class bowler who may do really well in this country but given that they were playing Wood and Archer together to get a pace attack ready for the next ashes tour, I'm not sure how this works - He wouldn't be selected for Australia, surely?

You are right about getting a pace attack ready for Australia. I guess they may need a few back up bowlers if the quicks breakdown at some stage during the 5 test series.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I've heard people say the same about Woakes. And Broad. And Sidebottom.

You don't need to bowl 90mph to be successful in international cricket, you need to be skilful enough. Sajid Mahmood is one of the fastest bowlers England have had, was utterly useless at international level. James Anderson rarely exceeds 84mph these days and yet would still be the first choice for the bowling attack in pretty much any conditions (the exception being a raging bunsen in India).

And on his home ground when another player is forced to be omitted apparently....

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Rain should blow over very soon. It’s a bowling day, Anderson & Broad partnership would have loved this. Much as I want to see Robinson given a chance, as Anderson wasn’t in the initial 13 man squad can he even be recalled?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Honestly, you can't pick Curran at Old Trafford (especially if we need to bowl first).

Get Robinson in to take the new ball.

If fit, Curran should play. It's probably between Woakes and Robinson.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't think Robinson is quick enough for international cricket.

You need different players for different scenarios. Glenn McGrath wasn't the quickest bowler, but he was metronomic with his line and length, which helped build up pressure on the batsman. They then also had Brett Lee who would be the express bowler to rough batsmen up when necessary.

If Robinson can have consistency with his line and length then he could do well for England...obviously wayyyyy too early to tell but if you don't try, you don't know.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't understand the selection of Robinson, a fine first class bowler who may do really well in this country but given that they were playing Wood and Archer together to get a pace attack ready for the next ashes tour, I'm not sure how this works - He wouldn't be selected for Australia, surely?
Maybe the selectors so have their eyes on the future but I would very much hope that their first priority is to think that we're 1 nil down at home in a test series and we need to win the match this week

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
From cricinfo:

Meanwhile, a word of caution on those concerned by England's lack of pace: the top four first-class wicket-takers at Emirates Old Trafford over the last two years are Tom Bailey (low 80s nibble), Graham Onions (low 80s nibble), Matt Parkinson (leggies) and a certain Jimmy Anderson (low 80s nibble).

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
E68BCC12-2358-45ED-8113-FFE2C9083CAA.jpeg

England selectors:

DE1270C8-CF0B-41A9-9145-4EF59923E0E9.gif

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Theres a bit of weather around but I am not sure a skiddy left armer is what we need? Although I suppose when you see Broad, Woakes, Robinson, Stokes it looks a bit samey.

He should play, but I don't think I would want him opening.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Play due to start at 12.30, get on with it :rolleyes:

Wood & Archer at the Ageas bowl, a pitch known for lack of pace.

Probably Curran, Broad & Woakes at a hard, bouncy and fast Old Trafford.

:ffsparr:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Looks like it will be Curran & Woakes.

EDIT: It is....

England: 1 Rory Burns, 2 Dom Sibley, 3 Zak Crawley, 4 Joe Root (captain), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Ollie Pope, 7 Jos Buttler (wk), 8 Sam Curran, 9 Chris Woakes, 10 Dom Bess, 11 Stuart Broad

West Indies: 1 Kraigg Brathwaite, 2 John Campbell, 3 Shai Hope, 4 Shamarh Brooks, 5 Roston Chase, 6 Jermaine Blackwood, 7 Shane Dowrich (wk), 8 Jason Holder (captain), 9 Alzarri Joseph, 10 Kemar Roach, 11 Shannon Gabriel

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Broad, Woakes, Curran, Stokes and as the pace bowling options, bit ‘samey’ isn’t it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here