Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
image.jpg
That'll do

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No they didn't. You really think they weren't trying to win? To get the goal?

Football players are not that bright.

Total rubbish. If you can't get a goal against Ukraine then you're not going anywhere.

And what is Roy on about - players not being used to this sort of pressure. Rubbish.

We've got to stop looking at this through rose tinted spectacles.

Let's wake up. English football is rubbish. English players are rubbish. Our national game is played by a bunch of over paid over rated individuals that command absolutely no respect.

You make it sound as though it's easy to walk into Kiev and take 3 points off them in front of a partisan 70k crowd without our best strikers. The fact is England have NEVER found these sort of matches easy. The teams of 90 or 96 wouldn't have won that match either.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You make it sound as though it's easy to walk into Kiev and take 3 points off them in front of a partisan 70k crowd without our best strikers. The fact is England have NEVER found these sort of matches easy. The teams of 90 or 96 wouldn't have won that match either.

I make qualifying against a team we should beat sound easy?

Sorry.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I must be mental, but I actually thought the first half was a really good match. It was really open and I thought both teams were playing well. People tend to remember how matches finish rather than start though, and it's true that the last half an hour was dull.

Mental!

Or drunk.

Or you fell asleep.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Quite happy with that watch the game on the Bonsian boarder with Ukraines who were happy also with a point

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Mental!

Or drunk.

Or you fell asleep.

It hardly comes as any great surprise that The Complete Todger evidently hallucinated his way through the first half. I can, however, go to bed happy in the knowledge that he remains safely on my ignore list. :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Reality check. The best England team of recent times was Bobby Robson's England side that got to the WC1990. That team finished runner-up to Sweden in the qualifying group with 3 wins and 3 draws. We qualified as one of the best runners up. Interestingly, we didn't concede a goal in that group yet still didn't win it, and the same accusations of being dull, lacking creativity etc were levelled at England back then.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Reality check. The best England team of recent times was Bobby Robson's England side that got to the WC1990. That team finished runner-up to Sweden in the qualifying group with 3 wins and 3 draws. We qualified as one of the best runners up. Interestingly, we didn't concede a goal in that group yet still didn't win it, and the same accusations of being dull, lacking creativity etc were levelled at England back then.

Again, England lose VERY VERY few competitive games. People completely forget this. We didn't even lose a game at the Euros. We tend to qualify fairly well. We just don't perform in the knockout stages of major tournos v often...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
disappointed that the players were consistantly unable to pass accurately to feet and repeatedly made poor choices too often involving hoisting long passes that simply invited the opposition back onto the attack.

Good result and nothing else really matters but too often we were made to look very poor.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Again, England lose VERY VERY few competitive games. People completely forget this. We didn't even lose a game at the Euros. We tend to qualify fairly well. We just don't perform in the knockout stages of major tournos v often...

We tend to crawl through qualification against teams with inferior setups and smaller populations. Is that a surprise?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sturridge, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck, Wilshere, Barkley, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Walcott. The question is whether a combination of these guys can a) stay fit, and b) produce some magic. I think we have a chance, but need 2 or 3 of the younger players to have big seasons.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think we did well, we will qualify

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
disappointed that the players were consistantly unable to pass accurately to feet and repeatedly made poor choices too often involving hoisting long passes that simply invited the opposition back onto the attack.

Good result and nothing else really matters but too often we were made to look very poor.

I think that sums it up.

We'll qualify, which is good news for the supermarkets, merchandising manufacturers and a good excuse for a petrol retailer to do another World Cup coin collection a la Esso 1970

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not inspired by that. Sorry. I expect more. And I'm entitled to it given what we have sacrificed in the cause of the premier league and football in this country.

Quite simply, this performance shows we have failed to nurture our national game. And for what? The richest league in the world.

Three months ago we were minutes away from beating Brazil in the Maracana, earning a creditable draw against the favourites for the World Cup. That Brazil team went on to rip Spain apart, a team we beat the last time we played them courtesy of a Lampard goal.

I don't pretend that we're one of the top four, but in terms of attacking threat I think we're getting better with the emergence of Sturridge and Welbeck, we're damn hard to beat and have dangerous players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports