Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Sri Lanka - First Test - Lords

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
OOOOHHH Bumble just announces to the world Zamora has left QPR chatting to young Redknap

Hilarious, you could hear Jamie panic as Bumble said it, obviously an off mic conversation that wasn't meant for live on air!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Thank God for Ian Bell.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Those watching... have England looked to get on with it or have Sri Lanka been loose/attacking?

I will be massively relived if England are actually attempting to be less attritional.

England have lost wickets, in my opinion, for going after shots when they should have seen off the first hour. Cook's attempted cut was another example of a batsmen short of form, being forced back into his crease by full deliveries trying to cut his way out of trouble off his back foot. He barely gets out of his crease at the moment, in contrast to the largely untroubled Bell who is full of movement and getting his front foot to the ball.

Sri Lanka weren't initially attacking as such, but as their bowlers picked out the right lines and length and we looked troubled, Matthews was able to get more attacking as the morning progressed.

After the first hour or so, the pitch did start to calm down. Looks a good track for a batsmen who gets in and plays at the right balls. Low score for the team that slashes at it, or picks the wrong shots which all 3 of our wickets were guilty of.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
England have lost wickets, in my opinion, for going after shots when they should have seen off the first hour. Cook's attempted cut was another example of a batsmen short of form, being forced back into his crease by full deliveries trying to cut his way out of trouble off his back foot. He barely gets out of his crease at the moment, in contrast to the largely untroubled Bell who is full of movement and getting his front foot to the ball.

Sri Lanka weren't initially attacking as such, but as their bowlers picked out the right lines and length and we looked troubled, Matthews was able to get more attacking as the morning progressed.

After the first hour or so, the pitch did start to calm down. Looks a good track for a batsmen who gets in and plays at the right balls. Low score for the team that slashes at it, or picks the wrong shots which all 3 of our wickets were guilty of.

Time will tell I guess. A lot of pressure on Bell now then.

You have to go back over a year to find a test match century elsewhere in this England line-up.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bell brings up the England hundred with a straight six off Herath in the first over after lunch

105-3 (26 overs)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ian Bell 51* (69 balls, 7 fours, 1 six) :clap2:

Strokes that through the covers... looking good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mooen Ali - I presume his fielding position is cow corner?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think post #48 did Bell there!

Good ball though, not sure Bell did a lot wrong, movement did him.

Indeed, sorry BS :(

That's why I have tried to avoid saying anything about Root and Ali making steady progress... 154-4 (38 overs), Root 25* (48) Ali 20* (35).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here