Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v South Africa, First Test at Lord's

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Root dropped on 16 by Duminy at gully. Went quickly but should have been caught. A second life. Phew!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sorry folks - Bairstow's a goner :nono:

Trapped on the back foot by Philander - no review necessary... 76-4

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch, Day One

England 82-4 (just 25 overs)

Root 33* (and two lives) Stokes 4*

South Africa will be pretty happy with their morning's work having lost the toss... Philander starring with 8-1-26-3

Cook 3, Jennings 8, Ballance 20 and Bairstow 10 and England in general will all be disappointed with their efforts.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I was at Lords in 94 when SA bowled us out for 99...... great day as my Uncle was over from SA..... i think i watched about 2 hours cricket... :-(

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England 102-4 (30.3 overs) Root 45* Stokes 12* :clap2:

brought up with a wild slashing drive from Stokes, which flew over slip/gully for four.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
''What we saw when he first played Test cricket was that guys like Mitchell Johnson and New Zealand's Trent Boult would push him even further back with short stuff, then slip in the full-length delivery.

It was a sucker punch, and Ballance kept nicking off or getting bowled — 70 per cent of his Test dismissals against seamers have come from full-length deliveries.'' - Nasser Hussain pre match.

Morkel to Ballance, OUT, nibble off the seam, Ballance is right back on the stumps - as is his wont - and up goes the finger! Looked like it might be an inside edge on first viewing, but Ballance's clear indecision in reviewing rather rules that out. Sliding down leg? Potentially, but he doesn't look confident. With good reason! That is slamming into middle and leg!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A word of caution - Root has reached 50 on 38 previous occasions but only reached his century 11 times.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ben Stokes 51* (95 balls, 7 fours, 1 six, and a life when bowled off a no-ball by Morkel) :clap2:

England 179-4 (51.1 overs)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here