Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Poland - Official Match Thread - WQC

D

Deleted member 18477

Played very well tonight, maybe still lacking that clinical edge but good performance overall. Townsend was the best of a good bunch.

Welbeck isn't the best in front of goal but he does work hard tracking back. Not sure if that's enough to justify a starting spot though.

Oxlade or Walcott instead of Welbeck when fit? Townsend deserves his place currently... Walcott had started the season well for Arsenal before his injury...

The fact were disputing this is a promising sign to say the least... if Zaha goes out on loan it could make things very interesting in the wing department... he must go out on loan to a prem team though - no point wasting his time in the championship anymore.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Oxlade or Walcott instead of Welbeck when fit? Townsend deserves his place currently... Walcott had started the season well for Arsenal before his injury...

The fact were disputing this is a promising sign to say the least... if Zaha goes out on loan it could make things very interesting in the wing department... he must go out on loan to a prem team though - no point wasting his time in the championship anymore.

Walcott is overrated, more often than not he just runs into people and always disappoints me.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Wouidn't it be boring if we all thought the same thing?

I thought Wellbeck was abysmal tonight - an absolute waste of space.

I also think that Walcott would be a massive improvement.

So there you go.

Fair enough, but Townsend is playing the Walcott position because he is out injured, and there has been a massive improvement without him.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Fair enough, but Townsend is playing the Walcott position because he is out injured, and there has been a massive improvement without him.

Townsend was indeed excellent. A real surprise to me, and to many others I would imagine.

I think Walcott could successfully play up front, and would be a substantial improvement on Wellbeck.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Added to the possibility of Walcott returning is the fact that Aaron Lennon is back in training at Spurs so will come into the reckoning. I thought that Welbeck did a lot of work tonight but fluffed his chances and also Baines had a very good 1st half but poor 2nd as he continually gave the ball away. Lampard was poor when he came on but this was made up for by Gerrard having a good game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Walcott will have Ozil making him look a much better player than he actually is, as Ozil would do with any of us.
If Walcott can make that stick then he's a shoe in for a start.

If he doesn't then there's plenty of others to take his place, as it is 1 or 2 will be missing out.
Walcott, Welbeck, Townsend, The Ox, they are not all going to Brazil.

As for Lennon, ha, bye bye, he'll not even be playing league football let alone t'internationals.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I only got to see bits of the game and from what I saw, Townsend worked his balls off to earn his shirt last night. Looked much more effective than Walcott for me.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think I hate having to read how much of a great captain Gerrard is, even more than I hate hearing much of great captain Terry was.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I hate having to read how much of a great captain Gerrard is, even more than I hate hearing much of great captain Terry was.
At least it won't be for much longer.

When Ashley Cole's place is in doubt, you know the previous generation don't have too long left.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I would love to see Roy take a risk and play Baines instead of Cole for this tournament.

Cole is, however much you dislike him, a brilliant left back.

However Baines now has that FRESHNESS.

He basically became our left side attacker last night, and with Townsend on the other side we had some real WIDTH which was lovely to see.

I'm delighted for Townsend though. I watched quite a few QPR games last year and when he moved to them on deadline day it was just seen as a pretty boring signing. However he was the ONE player in that team that showed any fight and ability. Delighted it's been noticed at England level.

I am probably going to get shot down here but, when Walcott is back, I would say our players actually lend themselves to a potential 4 -2-1-3 formation.

Hart

Walker (although I thought smalling was excellent) - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines
Gerrard - Carrick
Rooney
Walcott - Sturridge - Townsend.

That's before you consider Welbeck, Wilshire etc etc

Again, not saying that would be anywhere near what Hodgson would go for as it's probably a bit risky and exposes the wing backs a little too much, but it's nice to have a group of players who are a bit more FLEXIBLE this time round.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I would love to see Roy take a risk and play Baines instead of Cole for this tournament.

Cole is, however much you dislike him, a brilliant left back.

However Baines now has that FRESHNESS.

He basically became our left side attacker last night, and with Townsend on the other side we had some real WIDTH which was lovely to see.

I'm delighted for Townsend though. I watched quite a few QPR games last year and when he moved to them on deadline day it was just seen as a pretty boring signing. However he was the ONE player in that team that showed any fight and ability. Delighted it's been noticed at England level.

I am probably going to get shot down here but, when Walcott is back, I would say our players actually lend themselves to a potential 4 -2-1-3 formation.

Hart

Walker (although I thought smalling was excellent) - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines
Gerrard - Carrick
Rooney
Walcott - Sturridge - Townsend.

That's before you consider Welbeck, Wilshire etc etc

Again, not saying that would be anywhere near what Hodgson would go for as it's probably a bit risky and exposes the wing backs a little too much, but it's nice to have a group of players who are a bit more FLEXIBLE this time round.

I think Johnson would start over Walker. Or Smalling. Or that Burnley bloke. Probably even el-Abd if he wasn't a Pharoah

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Walker (although I thought smalling was excellent)

I thought Smalling was atrocious to begin with - terrible positioning (a few times the RCB had to come over and cover him as he had wandered off) and didn't quite seem to have the pace to link up with Townsend on the right. He grew in confidence as the game went on though and finished well. I know he's only as cover and he's a CB naturally, but i'd wonder if we can use any friendlies before the WC to blood cover for Walker/Johnson incase of injury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here