Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Poland - Official Match Thread - WQC

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The bbc news summary talks of us hanging on, nervous, warned and Hart to the rescue etc. Were they watching the same game? For once we were superb and thoroughly deserved to win. Yes Poles had chances but we had equally as many, more so. And most of all, we put 2 of em away!! Bloody media. Never happy! Always ready to bash England. Default setting it seems.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Not sure I share your same positive view of the overall picture. Great first half performance I thought.

Agree with you that we are seeing evidence that suggests it is time to forget the old guard of lampard, terry, cole etc. I'm sure Jose is hoping that happens and then he can kick them out of Chelsea too.

On reflection Smalling didn't fill me with confidence but then he doesn't get many games for Man U let alone England so maybe not surprising. Not sure who gets the RB spot - Johnson/Walker/Smalling/Phil Jones are the best of an average bunch. Its the defence that makes me feel uneasy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
On reflection Smalling didn't fill me with confidence but then he doesn't get many games for Man U let alone England so maybe not surprising. Not sure who gets the RB spot - Johnson/Walker/Smalling/Phil Jones are the best of an average bunch. Its the defence that makes me feel uneasy.

Walker for me. With Jones as cover.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The bbc news summary talks of us hanging on, nervous, warned and Hart to the rescue etc. Were they watching the same game? For once we were superb and thoroughly deserved to win. Yes Poles had chances but we had equally as many, more so. And most of all, we put 2 of em away!! Bloody media. Never happy! Always ready to bash England. Default setting it seems.

It's bitterness because Itv got the gig.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leighton Baines was excellent again. Has to keep his place ahead of cole now.

He was sensational first half, but really poor when England were under pressure towards the end. Continually gave away possession.

Way way way better than Lampard, mind, who was astonishingly poor. Wellbeck very unconvincing.

Everyone else very good.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Thought the young Manchester united player, Zaha, is it, was brilliant tonight, dont know what England would have done without him. Oh hang on

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I haven't enjoyed an England match since Glenn Hoddle was manager, until the last two games. Hodgson has done a great job despite performances being a little disappointing at the start of the campaign.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I haven't enjoyed an England match since Glenn Hoddle was manager, until the last two games. Hodgson has done a great job despite performances being a little disappointing at the start of the campaign.

I thought Hoddle did ok until Beckham let him (and us) down against the Argies, when we were looking good ('that' Michael Owen goal etc plus a legit Sol Campbell goal getting disallowed). Then the usual penalty shoot out debacle.

Sven had a couple of decent games. The 1-5 win in Germany was probably the best performance in recent years. Plus that World QF against Brazil in Japan/Korea when we were 1-0 up and playing well but fell apart 2nd half when we should have progressed.

D

Deleted member 18477

Brilliant performance tonight under pressure. We won't win the world cup but if we go out playing that type of attacking football i will be happy.

The England set up certainly looks more promising than it has done for a while... Oxlade, Walcott, Townsend, Welbeck, Sturridge, Barkley, Wilshere, Zaha, Walker, Smalling, Jones, Gibbs, Sterling, Zaha... Ward-Prowse, Ravel Morrison, Berahino, Tom Ince, Jack Butland, Jenkinson, Jesse Lingard, Nathan Redmond, Nick Powell, Harry Kane... all under 25.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought Hoddle did ok until Beckham let him (and us) down against the Argies, when we were looking good ('that' Michael Owen goal etc plus a legit Sol Campbell goal getting disallowed). Then the usual penalty shoot out debacle.

Sven had a couple of decent games. The 1-5 win in Germany was probably the best performance in recent years. Plus that World QF against Brazil in Japan/Korea when we were 1-0 up and playing well but fell apart 2nd half when we should have progressed.

Yep I was talking about actually believing in the team.

I-5 Germany was more about what Keegan drilled into the squad and it spilled over into Sven's first game. It was down hill all the way from then.

The Brazil QF, as soon as we got the goal it was back to the usual caution rather than creative progression, everyone behind the ball type of thing, certainly didn't enjoy the game, it was one of the most frustrating.

The Glenn Hoddle era was the last enjoyable England time but we looked very good tonight and hopefully we will peak at the right time. Looking forward again.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Played very well tonight, maybe still lacking that clinical edge but good performance overall. Townsend was the best of a good bunch.

Welbeck isn't the best in front of goal but he does work hard tracking back. Not sure if that's enough to justify a starting spot though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here