England v Poland - Official Match Thread - WQC

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brilliant result

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Loved the Gerrard goal. Real determination to get past the man and get first to the ball.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Really enjoyed the last 2 England games. Felt proud again. Players played like it MEANT something, fantastic to see. A sense of national pride has returned.......roll on June 2014.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really enjoyed the last 2 England games. Felt proud again. Players played like it MEANT something, fantastic to see. A sense of national pride has returned.......roll on June 2014.
It does seem much easier to get behind this side, with it's multitude of youngsters, than some of the absolute twats we've seen in England shirts in the past.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I assumed he wasn't near a TV...

This. Despite the bleak % of home players being used in the Prem the ones that are look decent. Townsend has been awesome for 2 games. Rooney looks re-energised. Baines kicks Cashley's BUTT.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
They seemed to play without the usual fear. They still misplaced passes but not nearly as much as they can do and seemed to play with some real confidence.

Don't see us getting too far in the WC but as long as we play like that I'll be happy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...and Welbeck is very hit and miss,

for my money Welbeck has been one of the best and consistant players this campaign. his fault is not being ruthless, he'll play a pass or put it across goal for others rather than take the shot himself. he's tireless, team player though, reminds me of Heskey (with less falling over).

that was the difference in general the past two games, player wanting to do something, calling for the ball, not looking to off load but get the ball and move positivly (except one notable player, but thats his style..)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
They seemed to play without the usual fear. They still misplaced passes but not nearly as much as they can do and seemed to play with some real confidence.

Don't see us getting too far in the WC but as long as we play like that I'll be happy.

Also all of this

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
for my money Welbeck has been one of the best and consistant players this campaign. his fault is not being ruthless, he'll play a pass or put it across goal for others rather than take the shot himself. he's tireless, team player though, reminds me of Heskey (with less falling over).

that was the difference in general the past two games, player wanting to do something, calling for the ball, not looking to off load but get the ball and move positivly (except one notable player, but thats his style..)

Can't agree - he's had enough shots, he just misses most of them. He scored 4 goals in the campaign - 2 at home to San Marino, 2 in Moldova. When the opposition gets a bit tougher he tends to look out of his depth - a bit like poor old Crouch used to. Crouch scored a lot more goals though.

Wellbeck and Smalling were the weak links tonight. Smalling only came in at the last minute, and will not be rushed back in. Unfortunately, Wellbeck looks like part of the furmiture.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Agree with this. Tonight was fun, and I didn't feel the usual surge of anger once!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Great result and on merit too. We can approach the World Cup in a very positive mind.

A real captain's goal from Gerrard to seal qualification. A team coming into form just at the right time, always carrying a threat in front of goal, creating lots of chances and doing the unexpected at times. Good to see youngsters making a difference. Still a bit flaky at the back especially against the really top sides out, but did ok tonight.

That team ought to be the starting line up in Brazil. Forget Ashley Cole. Rio and JT are now history. Not sure Lampard has earned a place on the evidence of the last two games. Keep Wilshere fit. I want to see youngsters like Barkley who are very attack minded get a few games now. No doubt Walcott will get a place in the squad. That looks very promising.

I presume it will be hot and humid in Brazil so there will be a premium on retaining possession and letting the ball do the work, probably not able to play a whole game at the same pace as tonight or last Friday so that's something for Roy and co to work on.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
That first half was the best I have seen England play in any match for YEARS. What a fantastic team selection from RH and what a performance from a very impressive young team. As much as Ashley Cole has been a great player for England, I think his time could now be up and that spot will go to Baines. You can't doubt the quality of a midfield when Wilshere and Lampard are on the bench. Plus Townsend looks like a revelation. He could be our relatively secret weapon next summer. I still feel Cahill is the weak link against good teams and I'd like to see him replaced, and Welbeck is very hit and miss, but overall this team is going in the right direction.

One thing that is quite interesting is that next summer will be the first tournament for quite a few years where we haven't been a top seed. That means we're guaranteed to get one of the big guns in our group. I'm looking forward to it already!

This.

Easily the best I've ever seen England perform, we looked like a team who were familiar with each other rather than 11 individuals stuck on a pitch each trying to do their own thing. If we can put out performances like that consistently we'll be able to go deep into next summer's tournament.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Great result and on merit too. We can approach the World Cup in a very positive mind.

A real captain's goal from Gerrard to seal qualification. A team coming into form just at the right time, always carrying a threat in front of goal, creating lots of chances and doing the unexpected at times. Good to see youngsters making a difference. Still a bit flaky at the back especially against the really top sides out, but did ok tonight.

That team ought to be the starting line up in Brazil. Forget Ashley Cole. Rio and JT are now history. Not sure Lampard has earned a place on the evidence of the last two games. Keep Wilshere fit. I want to see youngsters like Barkley who are very attack minded get a few games now. No doubt Walcott will get a place in the squad. That looks very promising.

I presume it will be hot and humid in Brazil so there will be a premium on retaining possession and letting the ball do the work, probably not able to play a whole game at the same pace as tonight or last Friday so that's something for Roy and co to work on.

Not sure I share your same positive view of the overall picture. Great first half performance I thought.

Agree with you that we are seeing evidence that suggests it is time to forget the old guard of lampard, terry, cole etc. I'm sure Jose is hoping that happens and then he can kick them out of Chelsea too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here