[Football] England v Malta official match thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
While I agree that Kane’s signature move is both illegal and dangerous, rugby is a different game with different rules. I’ve no idea why people on here keep comparing the two sports. You wouldn’t compare football to water polo or hockey, would you?

Nevertheless, that was a stone wall penalty in the first half. Looking back on it though he deserved the yellow for an absolutely criminal first touch. When the keeper gives you it there you should be scoring from open play.
It's the attitude of the players,not the sports themselves
Rugby players tend to get up and get on with it
Whereas footballers,stay down in order to win a free kick
Even if they're not actually fouled,which is cheating

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Imagine trying to tell Paul Gascoigne that once you get the ball
Don't go on a maisy run and shoot or try and beat two players and pass it forward
No, turn round and pass it 20 yards back to a defender
No wonder there's not much atmosphere at the football these days
It's sucked out of you right from the beginning
You know from the kick off that the ball will end up back with the goalkeeper
Who then stands there with his foot on the ball

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Imagine trying to tell Paul Gascoigne that once you get the ball
Don't go on a maisy run and shoot or try and beat two players and pass it forward
No, turn round and pass it 20 yards back to a defender
No wonder there's not much atmosphere at the football these days
It's sucked out of you right from the beginning
You know from the kick off that the ball will end up back with the goalkeeper
Who then stands there with his foot on the ball
The Albion do this, and it's the best football I've ever seen.

It's not the passing back which is the problem with England - it's the lack of drive forwards, the unimaginative set-up and, of course, the selection of out-of-form players.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I went last night, still just about recovering.

There were not too many of the 82,000 left when the injury time board went up!

20231117_213508.jpeg

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The Albion do this, and it's the best football I've ever seen.

It's not the passing back which is the problem with England - it's the lack of drive forwards, the unimaginative set-up and, of course, the selection of out-of-form players.
Jude Bellingham being out seemed to mean we had almost no forward momentum whatsoever. Our chances in Germany seem already to depend on his form and fitness.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Jude Bellingham being out seemed to mean we had almost no forward momentum whatsoever. Our chances in Germany seem already to depend on his form and fitness.
Yep..and the ‘dynamic’ pairing of Henderson and Gallagher made it much too easy in the middle for Malta.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How can it be a dive when the keeper has clearly smashed his leg?

I genuinely can’t comprehend how anyone can say it’s a dive, why should Kane move his planted foot to avoid a reckless goalkeeper smashing through his leg? Since when has the onus been on the player being tackled to avoid contact. People let their dislike of a player cloud their judgment.
I've just watched it now for the first time.

Yes, Harry Kane has dived in the past.

Last night wasn't one of them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
While I agree that Kane’s signature move is both illegal and dangerous, rugby is a different game with different rules. I’ve no idea why people on here keep comparing the two sports. You wouldn’t compare football to water polo or hockey, would you?

Nevertheless, that was a stone wall penalty in the first half. Looking back on it though he deserved the yellow for an absolutely criminal first touch. When the keeper gives you it there you should be scoring from open play.
I agree about last night. It was a penalty. My feeling is that the referee just didn't trust Kane.

I don't agree with you about comparing sports. Dangerous actions by players are no different because of the code.

In Rugby, when a player is in the air, to deliberately back into them is regarded as highly dangerous play. Kane has done this on occasions and, as an example, the backing into Cresswell could have caused a serious neck injury. I've seen it in rugby and the scenario is no different. Red card and an immediate ban.

I think Kane is a quality and very intelligent player. But he crosses the line of cunning too far.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
True but less pressure at that point in the match as the clock was not ticking. Maybe I would forgiven him if he had not already cost us a World Cup through selfishness previously. He scores loads of goals in qualifiers vs crap teams though so it’s all good.
Just a little stat.

Ronaldo has never scored in a world cup knockout game

In the euros he scored in neither final.
In the 9 knockout games he has played in, he has scored 3

I make it that Kane has scored 6 goals in knockout stages of tournaments having started 8 or so years later?

Still Ronaldo scores lots of goals in qualifiers Vs crap teams though so it's all good.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I went last night, still just about recovering.

There were not too many of the 82,000 left when the injury time board went up!

View attachment 169989
I love your pictures. Keep them coning. Who do you follow in rugger BTW ?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Jordan Henderson is winning his 81st England cap.

He's made 13 appearances for Al-Ettifaq this season who are seventh in the Saudi Pro League.

:rolleyes:
Maybe, but who wouldn´t relish the thought of playing in a desert in front of 795 people and getting paid millions for it?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I didn´t watch but was it really THAT bad?
To be fair, Malta played pretty well and could easily have scored a couple of times. England were very flat, no spark, no energy. Possibly the fact it was a dead game for the group (though maybe not re seedings) didn’t help but I was surprised how distinctly average we looked against what on paper was a very weak opponent. It was hard to see 170 places between them in the rankings on that showing.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Just woke up....................................................did an OG and a pen decide our result against MALTA ? Really ?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I didn´t watch but was it really THAT bad?
It must have been. It happened at some point in the first half, my mind drifted off, and before I knew it, I was reading Crodo's Christmas TV thread.

However, it should be said I returned to the football, and didn't return to Crodo's thread.

Credit to Malta though. They played well.

'We really should be beating teams like these' - Bjorn Vassallo, President, Malta Football Association.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
How can it be a dive when the keeper has clearly smashed his leg?

I genuinely can’t comprehend how anyone can say it’s a dive, why should Kane move his planted foot to avoid a reckless goalkeeper smashing through his leg? Since when has the onus been on the player being tackled to avoid contact. People let their dislike of a player cloud their judgment.
The keeper was looking likely to foul him. But then Kane moved his leg towards the goalie so him instigating the contact by a completly unnatural move with his leg. He kicks the ball one way and his leg is aimed straight at the keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports