Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Malta official match thread

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
By how many goals would Brighton beat England?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Seems the whole team are not over exerting themselves- all playing in 2nd gear - only thing I can think of is they don’t need to up gears as they have qualified, Malta are poor, and being in top fitness for their club teams means more ??
That’s how I saw it. Southgate must take some of the blame but I’m sure he doesn’t tell Rashford, Saka, and one or two others to go out there and mis control the ball, pass to the opposition, etc, etc.

Dion Dublin’s banal commentary was the lowest point for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not looking forward to hearing the uninspiring goon tell us it was a ‘hard fought victory’ and ‘these are a good team’ etc. It’s Malta FFS, their population is a fifth of that of Manchester :facepalm:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
If I kick the ball in front of me and leave my foot there and someone boots my ankle off because I didn’t move it, it’s still a foul, it’s not on the player with the ball to avoid contact.
Except he didn’t have the ball anymore.

The keeper was nearer to it than him at the point Kane made contact.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think the one I remember may have been one of Villa's early goals in the tonking we got.

Here we go. From 0.40

Yeah Villa was definitely one this season. I think there were a couple last season too.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Southgate is surely coming to the end of his tenure.

The performance tonight was a long way from acceptable.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s how I saw it. Southgate must take some of the blame but I’m sure he doesn’t tell Rashford, Saka, and one or two others to go out there and mis control the ball, pass to the opposition, etc, etc.

Dion Dublin’s banal commentary was the lowest point for me.
Where was the insight?
Let's take a look upstairs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You jest, but it is.

Not a great night tonight but in general we’re light years ahead of Hodgson’s team.
Three points. Nobody red carded or stretchered off. Finished top. What's not to like?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Southgate is surely coming to the end of his tenure.

The performance tonight was a long way from acceptable.
He’ll see out the 2024 Euros and quit, I’m convinced of it, whether we win or go out in the group. Growing more convinced that Potter has been sounded out as a replacement.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I just spent the evening longing for a few cans of this in the early evening sun before making my way to Axis

IMG_2802.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You jest, but it is.

Not a great night tonight but in general we’re light years ahead of Hodgson’s team.
Quite. Potentially tricky group and England ease through with time to spare, beating the European Champions home and away.

All the major international sides have matches they lumber through that should have been easier. Malta defended well tonight. England put six goals past them in qualifying- same amount as Italy.

England looked like an old 45' being played on 78' tonight. Happens, especially when the whole thing is done and dusted and players have got their minds on the league and club competitions in Europe.

Had they won 6-0 folk would have been bemoaning that things are too easy. I feel sorry for Southgate.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
He’ll see out the 2024 Euros and quit, I’m convinced of it, whether we win or go out in the group. Growing more convinced that Potter has been sounded out as a replacement.
The timeframe seems reasonable. I think Southgate is past the sell-by date, but succession planning has to happen.

I've no idea regarding Potter, but he must be thinking it's time he got back into coaching. You can't be out for too long. After the payout of a lifetime, a part-time job as England manager might appeal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The timeframe seems reasonable. I think Southgate is past the sell-by date, but succession planning has to happen.

I've no idea regarding Potter, but he must be thinking it's time he got back into coaching. You can't be out for too long. After the payout of a lifetime, a part-time job as England manager might appeal.
Surely Potter wants to get back into full-time management? He needs to get his career back on track with the right job.

He'll be on a hiding to nothing with England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here