Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Kosovo 7.45 tonight @ St Mary's (capacity 32,505)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This game was a classic example of when VAR should have been in operation as the Kane penalty would have been ordered to be retaken as the keeper was clearly a yard off his line.

Couldn't disagree more. It was a brilliant game from start to finish. VAR would have absolutely sucked the life out of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Couldn't disagree more. It was a brilliant game from start to finish. VAR would have absolutely sucked the life out of it.

Totally agreed. And I've been mildly pro-VAR. This game was joyous, played at a ludicrously breakneck pace. Wouldn't have been possible with VAR checking each goal.

This game confirmed my views that I'm anti-VAR-in-it's-present-state. I do think it can work. But it needs another 10 years of work and a LOT of common sense applied.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This game was a classic example of when VAR should have been in operation.

Wouldn't a "classic example" be something more like a 1-0 win with a dodgy goal rather than a game where a team was 5-1 up and missing the penalty you mentioned didn't actually matter?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally agreed. And I've been mildly pro-VAR. This game was joyous, played at a ludicrously breakneck pace. Wouldn't have been possible with VAR checking each goal.

This game confirmed my views that I'm anti-VAR-in-it's-present-state. I do think it can work. But it needs another 10 years of work and a LOT of common sense applied.

Exactly. Can you imagine how many bloody reviews there'd have been in that game ? Perceived fouls in build-ups to goals, penalty review decisions, offsides...all the flow and energy of that game would have been drained into a morass of delays and hold-ups so the nerds could get their fix of pixel lines and super slo-mo's.

A game without VAR goes right back to what we all watch football for - to be entertained. How refreshing was that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. Can you imagine how many bloody reviews there'd have been in that game ? Perceived fouls in build-ups to goals, penalty review decisions, offsides...all the flow and energy of that game would have been drained into a morass of delays and hold-ups so the nerds could get their fix of pixel lines and super slo-mo's.

A game without VAR goes right back to what we all watch football for - to be entertained. How refreshing was that.

Back to VAR World at 1500 tomorrow :down:

*disclaimer* I reserve the right to change my mind if it works in our favour tomorrow

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Back to VAR World at 1500 tomorrow :down:

*disclaimer* i reserve the right to change my mind if it works in our favour tomorrow

WhisperedIgnorantAlpinegoat-size_restricted.gif

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Nothing has happened to change my views on VAR.

I think VAR is a much needed addition to football.
I think the laws of football are great.

But

The 2 just don't mix.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Best game I've seen for ages. All credit to Kosovo for playing with a positive attitude rather than just trying to keep the score down, and I agree with Easy - it was great to see a proper flowing game without VAR analysing the crap out of everything. I'm sure Southgate learnt far more from that than he did against Bulgaria.

Back to the usual bollocks this weekend though. I'm not going, but I'll check our score at about six o'clock. Even VAR should have finished analysing everything by then.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
This game was a classic example of when VAR should have been in operation as the Kane penalty would have been ordered to be retaken as the keeper was clearly a yard off his line.

He certainly was, but don't expect VAR to pick this up in the premier league. It's not being used to check keepers are on their lines for penalties, so it's up to the ref and assistants to spot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here