Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v India, Fourth Test match, The Oval, 02-06 September

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
That didn’t look THAT high

I know it's not an exact science, but anything hitting above the knee roll is dubious in my opinion. Surprised the umpire gave it, but glad he did as I'm pretty sure Root would have reviewed if he hadn't.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I know it's not an exact science, but anything hitting above the knee roll is dubious in my opinion. Surprised the umpire gave it, but glad he did as I'm pretty sure Root would have reviewed if he hadn't.

I have in the past come across the view that a fielding team should always aim to use all their reviews, since if you consistently have 2 or 3 left at the end it suggests you've been too conservative and might have missed out on overturning a decision that could have gone your way.

Now I don't entirely buy into that, not least because it's definitely not how the system is intended to be used. But I don't have a major issue with Root or whoever taking a punt on something that looks about right when they've still got a couple left.

Half the time of course they seem to waste reviews on appeals that look at first glance as though they could never conceivably be out, and are confirmed to be nowhere near.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wasting a review is obviously annoying, but it is not remotely as bad as NOT reviewing something that is subsequently shown to have been out. That must really dwell on the minds of the bowler and captain - worse even than a simple dropped catch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Here comes Pant, to bat like an absolute (brilliant) CLOWN again...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Wasting a review is obviously annoying, but it is not remotely as bad as NOT reviewing something that is subsequently shown to have been out. That must really dwell on the minds of the bowler and captain - worse even than a simple dropped catch.

Indeed. Ask any old Paine and Lyon from Headingly 2019.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Pant = hey batta batta swing batta

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No batsman is more entertaining to watch on 0 than Pant IMHO

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The innings Pant played to win the decisive Test in Australia was utterly incredible. The most gripped I've ever been, by a Test match that didn't involve England.

The guy is a fantastic talent, with seemingly no ability whatsoever to read a match situation.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
117 -6 . So what would you be happy restricting India's total to now ?

At lunch I had thought 200 would be good but now hoping for 150 -160 tops .

Go England !

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
117 -6 . So what would you be happy restricting India's total to now ?

At lunch I had thought 200 would be good but now hoping for 150 -160 tops .

Go England !

Someone could swing the bat and push them past that, but anything below 200 is a great day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here