Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***England v Germany***

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did you see our left back. I thought he was having a competition with himself for the most aimless longest pass to nobody competition. Down the right we were better. Our central midfield were average against Germany's second string

If you're going to simply compare our team to other teams then you are undoubtedly going to have a very disappointing 9 months ahead of you. I'm looking at where England have come from, and I am talking a clueless run of performances in SA 4 years ago, and not so much better in the Euro's 2 years ago, to what appears to be a side with a bit of excitement about it.

No where near a finished article but for the most part I'm enjoying watching them and feel they are growing as a team.

We are well behind many international teams, and there seems to be an expectancy that we shouldn't be, and this attitude has plagued us for 40 years. Start to see this team from where they've come from, and I believe there is room for optimism.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If you're going to simply compare our team to other teams then you are undoubtedly going to have a very disappointing 9 months ahead of you. I'm looking at where England have come from, and I am talking a clueless run of performances in SA 4 years ago, and not so much better in the Euro's 2 years ago, to what appears to be a side with a bit of excitement about it.

No where near a finished article but for the most part I'm enjoying watching them and feel they are growing as a team.

We are well behind many international teams, and there seems to be an expectancy that we shouldn't be, and this attitude has plagued us for 40 years. Start to see this team from where they've come from, and I believe there is room for optimism.

Yeah, but it's all about our left back!

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
We are clearly lacking in most areas when compared to the top international teams. Until we go right back to coaching the basic skills, techniques, passing, movement, awareness at u7's and upwards nothing will improve. At the lower age groups it should be all about playing football and not winning by hoofing it forward to some lad goal hanging (parents on the line might not agree, which is another problem).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the plus side I thought the following were OK - Hart, Walker, Cole, Jagielka, Gerrard, Townsend.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I think in 7 months time we're going to be flying a quality team out to Brazil. If we win a few matches then I'll be happy. Just be grateful that we aren't Scottish or Welsh.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Down our left hand side in particular our full back spent all game smacking it aimlessly up to nobody and giving away possession. Fooking useless, just pass the bloody thing and stop smacking it to nobody. Down the right we were better.

With Gary Neville involved, the headless hoof down the line was always going to be coached.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are clearly lacking in most areas when compared to the top international teams. Until we go right back to coaching the basic skills, techniques, passing, movement, awareness at u7's and upwards nothing will improve. At the lower age groups it should be all about playing football and not winning by hoofing it forward to some lad goal hanging (parents on the line might not agree, which is another problem).

Which is happening in all age groups with U6's, U7's and U8's 5-a-side, U9's to U10's 7v7, U11's to U12's 9v9. FA Chartered clubs should resist picking the 'biggest and best' and the emphasis is on fun and as many touches of the ball as possible. In fact results shouldn't be recorded or any competitive leagues etc. until U10's or U11's. This is about ensuring it's not just the strongest or biggest kids that shine through, but everyone gets a chance and skill levels can be developed without kids getting whacked off the park.

It is going to take a bit of time, but try getting yourself along to some kids games in the local park, and you will see this happening. It's going to take some time for this to manifest itself as a new generation though.

Last edited:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

There were interviews on radio 5 live today with German Football coaches on the differences between the coaching setups in our two countries ( maybe already mentioned). Think one stated there are about 10 times more fully qualified coaches in Germany, and to even be considered to coach an under 10 team you would need your badge. Here, a parent on the line is usually sufficient.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There were interviews on radio 5 live today with German Football coaches on the differences between the coaching setups in our two countries ( maybe already mentioned). Think one stated there are about 10 times more fully qualified coaches in Germany, and to even be considered to coach an under 10 team you would need your badge. Here, a parent on the line is usually sufficient.

That is changing though. Again an FA chartered club has to have a coach that is at least FA Level 1 qualified for every age group to be chartered. Obviously this isn't the case in every instance, but it is slowly becoming the norm. Things are changing, perhaps not as fast as they could, but also comments like yours and Quinney suggest that people just aren't aware of the change that is happening throughout grass roots youth football.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Which is happening in all age groups with U6's to U9;s playing 7-a-side games with Samba size goals and smaller pitches with 2 matches per fixture of 20mins per half. FA Chartered clubs should resist picking the 'biggest and best' and the emphasis is on fun and as many touches of the ball as possible. In fact results shouldn't be recorded or any competitive leagues etc. until U10's or U11's. This is about ensuring it's not just the strongest or biggest kids that shine through, but everyone gets a chance and skill levels can be developed without kids getting whacked off the park.

It is going to take a bit of time, but try getting yourself along to some kids games in the local park, and you will see this happening. It's going to take some time for this to manifest itself as a new generation though.

They still go to 11-a-side in Y6 though, don't they? This is much too young, and way earlier than in other countries who produce consistently better players in bucket loads.

When my son got to that age, he was smaller than most, and went from being one of the better, more skillful players to a little lad who couldn't keep up with the bigger, faster lads. He wasn't alone, and eventually gave up playing along with many others.

When they get to this age it becomes uber competitive, and all about winning. Skills are no longer developed, and the emphasis moves to those who develop their strength earliest.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They still go to 11-a-side in Y6 though, don't they? This is much too young, and way earlier than in other countries who produce consistently better players in bucket loads.

When my son got to that age, he was smaller than most, and went from being one of the better, more skillful players to a little lad who couldn't keep up with the bigger, faster lads. He wasn't alone, and eventually gave up playing along with many others.

When they get to this age it becomes uber competitive, and all about winning. Skills are no longer developed, and the emphasis moves to those who develop their strength earliest.

No, U11's and U12's are 9v9 on a smaller pitch, nominally like the edge of the 18 yard box to the other edge on a normal pitch and a bit narrower.

U9's and U10's are 7v7 on a smaller pitch than above.

U7's and U8's are 5v5 again on a smaller pitch.

The emphasis is on football, not winning. I don't think you have recorded results until U10's (but I stand to be corrected on that).

http://www.thefa.com/my-football/player/youth-football/youth-development-review

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It wasn't clear what you intimated and I am not picking on you before you message me.

Who would you have in front of him? He's not good enough to play for England as long as there are at least two English strikers who are better than him.

It was clear what I said, especially when the poster I quoted had asked where our strikers were going to score goals.
Don't flatter yourself.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Personally, I thought England played well. Much better tempo than England teams recently, and clear progression on the pitch. We are not there yet, and we do not have the class in depth of nations like Germany. They are far better than we are because they're in a different stage of their cycle. Ours is just re-starting.

Roy Hodgson is getting it right.

With Gary Neville involved, the headless hoof down the line was always going to be coached.

Going to stop you there, that is in stark contrast to how Neville played the game and is wildly unfair and plain wrong.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No, U11's and U12's are 9v9 on a smaller pitch, nominally like the edge of the 18 yard box to the other edge on a normal pitch and a bit narrower.

The emphasis is on football, not winning. I don't think you have recorded results until U10's (but I stand to be corrected on that).

Well, things have improved in the last five years then, so if that is happening everywhere it offers some sort of hope for the future.

Still loads to be done though. Are the U13's 11 a side? Still too early.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

http://www.thefa.com/my-football/player/youth-football/youth-development-review
Under 10s results are not recorded for my sons team(saltdean) they have no league table or cup games.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Personally, I thought England played well. Much better tempo than England teams recently, and clear progression on the pitch. We are not there yet, and we do not have the class in depth of nations like Germany. They are far better than we are because they're in a different stage of their cycle. Ours is just re-starting.

Roy Hodgson is getting it right.

Going to stop you there, that is in stark contrast to how Neville played the game and is wildly unfair and plain wrong.

Intelligent NSC post alert

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Poxy pitch didn't help our fluid passing game :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm enjoying watching them and feel they are growing as a team.

And the cycle starts once again. I have seen faith put into numerous generations of England teams only for them to fail with increasingly bizarre reasons. Can't you see the whole system up is completely ****ed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here