Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Same old story

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."
- Gary Lineker

Different time, same result.

Better team won on the night though.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
To be fair to the Germans they were the better team by some distance.

Playing with zero gusto in an U21 tournament defeats the point of being there. Had we gone through I'm not too sure we would have learned the lessons expected of progressing so far. At that level it's not actually about the winning as much as it is to understand the strengths of the team.

I didn't dislike certain periods of the game but there was a lot of absorbing pressure and hoofing it away when surely the idea is to encourage the players that this is the time to not do that. Other times in the first half it looked as if we were defending for our lives (but that being said I was watching on mute, on my phone, in a taxi, with poor connection, so I'm not the best judge perhaps).

Credit to the players for going as far as they did but in reality the bigger picture is, "Can we compete against the relative generation of German players"? and the answer looks like a no, based on that evidence.

Lastly, that TA penalty was abysmal. Don't do that. Penalties need to go in the top corner. I'd rather one hit it over than have the keeper save it.

Not as bad as 2009 though, and we have some capable players. They are kids and hopefully they took something from the summer.

Edit : Having watched the saved TA penalty back, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
[Tweet]879962570970382336[/Tweet]

Really Boothroyd it didn't look like it from where I was sitting!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here