Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Australia to mark Israel/Gaza deaths

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I see the right-wing press, who were previously frothing at the gash to 'keep politics out of football', are now frothing at the gash that politics is being kept out of football and have turned on the FA for not putting some lights on...

But 'the left' are the 'wokies'. Yeah, OK mates :facepalm:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Not the same thing at all, in August last year Israel targeted Gaza with missile strikes. It’s not as black and white as Russia invading Ukraine.
Is Russia and Ukraine black and white?

Back in 2016 when Merkel and Hollande were out of their depth trying to get agreement on how to manage the civil war in Ukraine, their plans were rejected by Ukraine…….

“Another stumbling block is that the peace plan would require Poroshenko to carry out local elections, which would likely serve to legitimize pro-Russian, anti-Kiev leaders in the east, giving them an official role in Ukraine’s government and control over budgets.”

Another example of one group people seeking to deny another group of people legitimate democratic sovereignty.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ang...hollande-fail-to-achieve-miracles-on-ukraine/

Sport would be better off keeping out of any political entanglements period.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Commendable but couldn’t really see them doing anything else.

Apologies for my memory, but even though he was murdered in the July, did we have a minutes silence for Don Lock before the first game?

It’s such a horrible and angry world at the moment it’s likely in years to come we’ll be doing it every other week at the Amex 😞

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't recall you posting the same thing when Russia invaded Ukraine. There are casualties on both sides of that as well, but Wembley ony lite the arch in Ukrainian colours.
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

At both Old Trafford and the AEK game a few days later we all observed a minute's silence for victims of an earthquake in Morocco. A UEFA directive. On their website they said: "UEFA will be holding a moment of silence at all upcoming national team and club competition matches as of tomorrow and until 21 September, in memory of the victims of the tragic earthquake in Morocco. The thoughts of European football are with the people of Morocco in these difficult times."

UEFA are fabulously wealthy. Why not donate £10m to the relief fund instead of this "let's congratulate ourselves on how compassionate we look" gesture which achieved absolutely nothing for the victims.
Spot on.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Commendable but couldn’t really see them doing anything else.

Apologies for my memory, but even though he was murdered in the July, did we have a minutes silence for Don Lock before the first game?

It’s such a horrible and angry world at the moment it’s likely in years to come we’ll be doing it every other week at the Amex 😞
No. There was a minute's applause in the 79th minute instead:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I can’t believe comparisons are being made to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Hamas are terrorists. Israel have every right to fight them. The issue is that they need to do so within international law. Some of the coverage and comments are shocking (not on here but elsewhere) suggesting they have to do whatever it takes. It can’t possibly be right that they treat all Palestinians as terrorists. I am not saying it is easy, merely that if everyone shows only support for Israel rather than making it clear they should not indiscriminately kill innocent people then we have a real problem.

Killing innocent people is never right and in doing so it could easily be argued that Israel are as bad as Hamas. The “but they started it” is a defence for the school playground and I don’t know enough (and I suspect very few do) about how we ended up in this situation. I have done quite a lot of reading about it and bad things have happened on both sides. It is grim.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The FA have got it right on this one, don't often say that
If the adoption of a neutral stance is best in this case, it merely proves the FCA have been wrong in all the other political matters they have entangled themselves in over recent years.

The fact that they are choosing to sit this one out makes a mockery of their decisions to champion certain causes despite opposition.

Hypocrisy at worst craven faux virtue signalling at best.

At least we all know now…………

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If the adoption of a neutral stance is best in this case, it merely proves the FCA have been wrong in all the other political matters they have entangled themselves in over recent years.

The fact that they are choosing to sit this one out makes a mockery of their decisions to champion certain causes despite opposition.

What part of supporting anti-discrimination do people have a problem with?

The opposite of supporting anti-discrimination is supporting discrimination. It isn’t something people should be neutral about.

Sadly professional offence takers like farage who wanted politics to stay out of football when he didn’t like the cause are now slating football for not taking a side in something that is far too nuanced for “right and wrong”

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The opposite of supporting anti-discrimination is supporting discrimination. It isn’t something people should be neutral about.

Sadly professional offence takers like farage who wanted politics to stay out of football when he didn’t like the cause are now slating football for not taking a side in something that is far too nuanced for “right and wrong”
You can lead a horse to water etc etc.....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They should play John Lennon's 'Give Peace a chance'
On a lighter note, and heaven knows we need one, I was at a Quins match in Twickenham once. The players ended up having a bit of a punch up. Over the tannoy they started playing 'Give peace a chance'. One of my favourite moments. It's hard to have a punch up with that ringing in your ears .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

What has it got to do with the Financial Conduct Authority ?

SAC

May 21, 2014
A shame that people are having a go at the FA for not doing enough (ie not unconditionally supporting Israel) but the FA are in a difficult position as the death count mounts. A one minute silence for all the nurders, hopefully well respected, is the correct decision.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Lack of foresight that “events” which are nuanced will occur is exactly the point, and why wise heads were were conveying concerns that pride always comes before a fall……..no pun intended.

There is nothing wrong with sporting bodies retaining neutrality whist supporting anti discrimination policies, not playing SA under apartheid being a prime example. However that is different to the constant piety and sermonising by the FA to football supporters, in a way no other sporting body behaves.

Now they look foolish, and next time there’s minutes silence because of a flood in Uzbekistan or famine in some other God forsaken shithole, we can all say you f@cking what?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here