Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
What do you lot reckon?

Play some sort of double bluff and select Finn?

He'll be raring to go, and knowing full well that those naughty Aussie's will be targeting him, it could well work.

The only thing in Finn's favour is the next test is at Lord's, his home ground, and where his height could be advantageous if he rediscovers his accuracy. He's had a mixed match, he was expensive at times for sure, but he also was on a hat-trick on the first evening when Australia were reduced to 75 for 4.

If the overhead conditions result in the ball swinging at Lord's as they invariably do there then Graham Onions could be a shrewd pick. Bresnan is more of a 'safe pick' in as much as he strengthens the lower order batting line-up. Personally, I'd prefer the bowler more likely to take wickets to get the nod.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373813330488.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373813330488.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 94

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Never change a winning team.

While I can see where you are coming from, I think that's a weak mantra. The ruthless teams in any sport will always change a winning team if they feel there is a weakness their next opponents can exploit, or if there is a better player to come back. If Cook and the selectors think they stand a better chance of winning with another third seamer at Lord's, their vindication will come should England win the match.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Listened to end on 5-live as on the beach jesus did Mcgrath try to talk down the fact is was a nick and out, tried every excuse he could think of.

And apparently the Melbourne Times already has a front page whinge about the last wicket.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
KP photo on twitter of Jimmy Anderson passed out asleep in a bed already :lol:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Why did Boycott suggest it would have been better for cricket if Australia had won?

I love this photo.
Because he's from Yorkshire and everyone knows they say what they like and bloody well like what they say.
Personally I think they all talk shite.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Boycott and Vaughan both have Bresnan in for Finn at Lord's but then they're Yorkshire so would say that. I'd stick with Finn in the side, but pick Bresnan ahead of Bairstow.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Boycott and Vaughan both have Bresnan in for Finn at Lord's but then they're Yorkshire so would say that. I'd stick with Finn in the side, but pick Bresnan ahead of Bairstow.

The only change I would make is Eion Morgan for Joe Root, talk about rabbit in the headlights, his nervous antics at the crease were making me dizzy and he always looked suspect.:mad:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So Broad not walking ultimately won England the test match?

I think that could be as close as the Aussies get this summer. England played poorly, Australia played pretty well & England still ended up prevailing.

The Finn/Bresnan debate is a tricky one. I hate knee jerking with selection but you can't afford to carry a bowler when you only play 4, for that reason I'd probably give Bresnan the nod.

As for Australia, the bowling looked pretty good. I was even fairly impressed with Agar's bowling in the second innings. I can't see tham changing much there.

Cowan's likely got 1 Test to get some runs before they look to Warner or Khawaja.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The only change I would make is Eion Morgan for Joe Root, talk about rabbit in the headlights, his nervous antics at the crease were making me dizzy and he always looked suspect.:mad:

Crazy talk. Morgan's recent test record is woeful & who would you promote to open? I'd be pretty suprised to see Morgan back in the Test side anytime soon without some serious work on his technique. I'd have Compton & Taylor ahead of him in the pecking order.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Finn's looked a bit lost this year, he's tinkering too much with his run-up and needs a spell in CC to figure out what he's doing. Bresnan in which will also strengthen the batting

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Is it possible that the umpire didn't give Haddin out before the review because England had 2 reviews left and Australia had none. I know I would have done that if I were him.

Not a chance. He didn't give it because of the noise - he couldn't hear it. Prior did though - although he ddn't look overly convinced. We had nothing to lose by referring it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here