Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So just because it's a test match you still have to cheat do you?

Interesting comments on Sky re walking and them justifying not doing so as "no one does these days". Even though Bairstow effectively did just that when he was out as he had already turned around and started walking off before the umpire gave him out.

I'm with you on this one. Don't like to see it and I would be extremely pissed out of an Aussie did that to us.

It was, however, a terrible bit of umpiring. It was so bad and obviously out that no-one really bothered appealing. Unreal.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hats off to Ian Bell. A fantastic knock in tough conditions today. There are many of us on here that believe him to be mentally weak but he answered some critics today.

88 tests in mind.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Just replayed Broads not out.....:lolol: he middled it to slip, that was shite umpiring.

Broad has got a lot of front not walking there. Wow, that'll endear him to the Aussies.....although to be fair they NEVER walk.

:lolol:

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just replayed Broads not out.....:lolol: he middled it to slip, that was shite umpiring.

Broad has got a lot of front not walking there. Wow, that'll endear him to the Aussies.....although to be fair they NEVER walk.

:lolol:
Wouldn't expect Broad to walk he never thinks he's out anyway...

Seem to remember Michael Clarke doing exactly the same thing off Pietersen in the last Ashes.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
The aussie's have never walked, they always wait for the umpires decision. So it is a no brainer to me, Broad was we'll within his rights to stand his ground.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's all true. But this might have the side effect giving them something to rally around: nothing like an injustice to do that.
Ah, but our injustice was before theirs

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Ah, but our injustice was before theirs

And in real terms our injustice was far greater. Whilst Agar's decision was a closer call it was still clearly out and that decision cost us 135 runs. We have no way of knowing how much Trott's and Root's (who also should not have been given out) dismissals cost us. So far the Broad incident has cost Australia 12 runs.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So just because it's a test match you still have to cheat do you?

I'm saying it's not a fair comparison.

In your village games you are playing for your own enjoyment in your spare time, you are paying for the privilege, the umpires are volunteering, there are no cameras, there is no DRS, there is hardly anyone watching. If the majority of people weren't honest about edges or catches there would be no point in playing.

If you'd grown up being coached by professionals at a county and cricket was your only job, were playing an ashes test in front of 1000's, had professional umpires, cameras and DRS then your opinion might be a bit different.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm saying it's not a fair comparison.

In your village games you are playing for your own enjoyment in your spare time, you are paying for the privilege, the umpires are volunteering, there are no cameras, there is no DRS, there is hardly anyone watching. If the majority of people weren't honest about edges or catches there would be no point in playing.

If you'd grown up being coached by professionals at a county and cricket was your only job, were playing an ashes test in front of 1000's, had professional umpires, cameras and DRS then your opinion might be a bit different.

I take your point and do see where you are coming from. It's just not the way I was brought up on playing a game I love.

I suppose if you were really cynical, you could say the same of all professional sport, ie win at all costs..be it drug taking in cycling and athletics, theatrical diving and feigning injury to get a player sent off and the like in football, doping in horse racing, and even worse, match fixing in all forms of sport.

The days of the Corinthian amateur spirit are well and truly gone

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Hats off to Ian Bell. A fantastic knock in tough conditions today. There are many of us on here that believe him to be mentally weak but he answered some critics today.

88 tests in mind.

Bell's proved his class and mettle a number of times previously. He has 20 test centuries to his name and was consistently amongst the runs for England in the last Ashes series in Australia. He is certainly one of those players who can look like a club player when is searching for form, but at the top of his game, he knows how to steadily build an innings.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
England are 261 ahead. Get another 40 runs on top of that and I'm not sure I'd fancy Australia chasing that down on a dry, wearing pitch helpful to turn for Graeme Swann playing on his home ground. Somebody would need to score a century batting last for Australia if they are chasing a target above 300, IMO.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My man Geoff tells it how it is...lol

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I take your point and do see where you are coming from. It's just not the way I was brought up on playing a game I love.

I suppose if you were really cynical, you could say the same of all professional sport, ie win at all costs..be it drug taking in cycling and athletics, theatrical diving and feigning injury to get a player sent off and the like in football, doping in horse racing, and even worse, match fixing in all forms of sport.

I think to compare the decision not to walk, with drug taking, is daft. The latter is conscious, premeditated cheating. The former is taking advantage of an officiating error - nothing more or less. Broad hasn't set out to cheat. He's simply declined the opportunity to right a wrong. You would walk on a Saturday Dave. I'd walk if I'm out, this Sunday, but the situations are so, so different that they bear no comparison.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Absolutely. Professional sports, especially football, are almost alien to their amateur counterparts. Whole industries have appeared off the back of professional sport - think of all the technology that's been developed to monitor and analyze performance and how far the science has developed. It's inevitable that some "spirit of the game" will be lost because so much effort is put into winning.

Cricket is still miles ahead of football though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
England are 261 ahead. Get another 40 runs on top of that and I'm not sure I'd fancy Australia chasing that down on a dry, wearing pitch helpful to turn for Graeme Swann playing on his home ground. Somebody would need to score a century batting last for Australia if they are chasing a target above 300, IMO.

Aussies highest successful 4th innings run chase against England in The Ashes is 284. Can't wait for today, I reckon it's going to be fascinating days cricket.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
No sympathy with the underarm bowling, dropped catch claiming Aussies in this issue about broad. He didnt claim he hadnt hit it, he just waited for the umpire to give him out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here