Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not walking. Hmmm. I don't have much of a problem with not walking now that every side has 2 challenges. The moral of the story is don't spunk your challenges away like Australia have done, because 2 blown challenges is likely to cost you at least one wicket.

And anyway, who's to say Broad wasn't thinking "We're owed one here for Jonathan Trott" and doing his bit for the team? I just hope he makes it count.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not convinced by that, to be honest. And I have to say, the difference between this and the two other poor decisions is that the batsman knew perfectly well that he'd hit it. He simply should have taken the decision away from the umpire.

TMS are saying Broad's acting was brilliant. I didn't think so - it was written it was all over his face, but as I've said before, Broad is a renowned cock and this shows it.

Anyway, I think this message on cricinfo sums it up for me:
"Well deserved punishment for fooling around with their reviews! DRS is meant to correct howlers like this, and not to be used as high stake gambles! Serves Clark right!"

If the situation had been reversed an Aussie would have done the same. No point in losing a Test by being a gentleman in this day and age especially with some of the recent decisions against England.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What comes around goes around.

Well, I am not sure how you mean that, but I have played cricket for over 45 years at all levels including county schoolboy level, sussex league and east Sussex league as well as friendly and evenings etc and I can say hand on heart that I have NEVER not walked when nicking it behind irrespective if the umpire gives it or not.

I have played ian game recently where a colleague who obviously hit it, said to me afterwards.." I took one for the team as we needed the runs". I told him he was wrong and I stick by that.

It's a game after all.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
So you're convinced - you'd settle for a lead of 260, some 10-40runs above par?

260 is doable but not easy. Rather get 280-300. Depends if Anderson bowls like the first innings, and if Agar can bat like he did again in my opinion. Anderson's all time wicket taker at Trent Bridge now isn't he?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So you're convinced - you'd settle for a lead of 260, some 10-40runs above par?

Well clearly I wouldn't settle for that with a lead of 242 and 4 wickets still to go, but I think Australia will struggle to get 250+, so I think we've almost done enough.

In terms of psychology, if Bell can reach his ton tonight that would be a blow struck for England. I think Australia would have hoped Bell's mindset might have made him vulnerable, so to come up with this innings is a huge boost for us.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Well, I am not sure how you mean that, but I have played cricket for over 45 years at all levels including county schoolboy level, sussex league and east Sussex league as well as friendly and evenings etc and I can say hand on heart that I have NEVER not walked when nicking it behind irrespective if the umpire gives it or not.

I have played ian game recently where a colleague who obviously hit it, said to me afterwards.." I took one for the team as we needed the runs". I told him he was wrong and I stick by that.

It's a game after all.

Exactly it's only a game no ones going to die. :D

Stumpy Tim

It's a game after all.

There's a huge difference between Sunday league cricket, and the Ashes - the pinnacle of English cricket. England have been very hard done by in this test, and to an extent this evens it up.

As others have said, I don't blame Broad at all. Clarke has been using his appeals in ridiculous fashion and gets what he deserves

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I had a 4 o'clock meeting and left the cricket with England 226/6 and still in a spot of bother. My meeting ends at 5.15, I click the Cricinfo tab with baited breath, half-expecting 250ao and to my amazement see the Desktop score bar showing 301/6 - marvellous scenes!!

I just hope Bell doesn't go mad trying to get his ton and give his wicket away here before the close.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

How many test matches did you play?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Broad not walking is the final ingredient required to make this a classic Ashes Test match.

Seriously, a good bit of needle. It's been a classic; absolutely engrossing stuff right from the start.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's a huge difference between Sunday league cricket, and the Ashes - the pinnacle of English cricket. England have been very hard done by in this test, and to an extent this evens it up.

As others have said, I don't blame Broad at all. Clarke has been using his appeals in ridiculous fashion and gets what he deserves
I don't have any sympathy for Clark or the Aussies really. It's just that I don't like to see blatant cheating in the cricket.

As everyone has said, the real lesson to be learned here to use your reviews sensibly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lead now goes over 250. At this juncture England 3/10, Aussies 7/2.

Australia will be desperate for a wicket before the close.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
No sympathy for Australia re: Stuart Broad. If you use up your referrals early in the day making frivolous/speculative LBW challenges then you have no cause to cry in your beer if you get a snorter of a decision that you can't then ask the third umpire to overturn. The referrals system is there in part to deter teams from making referrals that are wasting everybody's time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So if he's the prossie for being on Sky, I guess that makes you the dirty old man for paying for it.

Harold.............

You know full well that I don't have Sky.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ian Bell, before this match, Eng vs Aus in England - very ordinary reading;

8 matches, 311 runs, Avg 20.73, H.S 72 at the Oval, 0 100s, 4 50s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here