Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I genuinely don't understand why people were talking about 220-250 being a par score to chase.

Because of the dry pitch and the fact we've got Swann I think.

Personally I think 250 absolute minimum. This run chase will be won/lost in the MIND as much as it will be on the pitch. Whatever the total we'll need a couple of early wickets to get into their heads and make them wobble. Tomorrow has the potential to be PANT-WETTINGLY exciting.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Personally I think 250 absolute minimum. This run chase will be won/lost in the MIND as much as it will be on the pitch. Whatever the total we'll need a couple of early wickets to get into their heads and make them wobble. Tomorrow has the potential to be PANT-WETTINGLY exciting.

Spot on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Strauss is a dreadful co-commentator

Far too plummy for Sky

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yes, 250 absolute minimum, I won't disagree with that or anything you've said. I still think 280 will be around par for Australia on a warm cloudless day on a pitch that is actually holding up well. That's why I think we need 300. A lead of 220 would have looked well short of competitive though.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Yes, 250 absolute minimum, I won't disagree with that or anything you've said. I still think 280 will be around par for Australia on a warm cloudless day on a pitch that is actually holding up well. That's why I think we need 300. A lead of 220 would have looked well short of competitive though.

The highest 4th innings run chase at Trent Bridge is currently 284 (Eng vs NZ in 2004), whereas the highest in an Ashes test is 189 (Eng in 1977), so it's understandable that 220 was considered par/competitive.

This is one crazy game though, so I won't be happy with less than 350, just in case!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Broad is a cheat.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Strauss is a dreadful co-commentator

Far too plummy for Sky

Strauss is an all round good guy. When he quit he should have written for the papers. Very sad to see him prostitute himself on Sky.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That evens up the the missed stumping and the Trott decision from yesterday as far as I'm concerned. Now he just needs to make it count like Agar did.

Terrible sportsmanship, but don't believe for a second that any of the aussie team would've walked in that situation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Broad should have walked.

HKFC, I told you he was a twàt.

Other than Gilchrist, no Aussie has ever walked, besides, this evens up the Trott debacle.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Broad not walking is the final ingredient required to make this a classic Ashes Test match.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I genuinely don't understand why people were talking about 220-250 being a par score to chase.

Because:

1) Australia's batting isn't good (as they showed in the 1st innings - Agar won't get 98 again)
2) The pitch on Day 4 and 5 will assist Swann and it will keep low. Statistically, teams don't win tests in England chasing more than 250 in the 4th innings.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Other than Gilchrist, no Aussie has ever walked, besides, this evens up the Trott debacle.
Not convinced by that, to be honest. And I have to say, the difference between this and the two other poor decisions is that the batsman knew perfectly well that he'd hit it. He simply should have taken the decision away from the umpire.

TMS are saying Broad's acting was brilliant. I didn't think so - it was written it was all over his face, but as I've said before, Broad is a renowned cock and this shows it.

Anyway, I think this message on cricinfo sums it up for me:
"Well deserved punishment for fooling around with their reviews! DRS is meant to correct howlers like this, and not to be used as high stake gambles! Serves Clark right!"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dirty cheat
He will live to regret that

Like Atherton does every day when he is not busy with Sky commentaries or writing for the Times ....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because:

1) Australia's batting isn't good (as they showed in the 1st innings - Agar won't get 98 again)
2) The pitch on Day 4 and 5 will assist Swann and it will keep low. Statistically, teams don't win tests in England chasing more than 250 in the 4th innings.
So you're convinced - you'd settle for a lead of 260, some 10-40runs above par?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here