England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Same problems, top order batsmen aren't doing their jobs so it falls to the mid and lower order to get them out of the proverbial. Prior does a great job and and plays the only way he knows, which is ok when the runs are on the board. If it wasn't for Matt we would be a lot worse off.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed, now is definitely not the time for slashing. But I do think there needs to be a focus on scoring runs rather than occupying the crease. The Sky commentators seem to be constantly banging on about spending time at the crease, but we're not going to bat out a draw here, so at some point there definitely comes a time where hitting out (a bit) is the best option. It's not yet though.

Fair, yes.

I didn't really mean JUST occupy the crease. What I meant was 'bat properly'. Broad, particularly, but also the three to come, all have the ability to play straight, and play properly. Jimmy Anderson has played some fabulous drives in his time.

Obviously when Swann tees off, its hugely entertainning - in the right circumstances.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fair play to England, I'd have taken 73-2 in that session at the start.

If we can bat through the last session we'll be 250 ahead, which has to be the aim now.

I think 250 will be enough, 200 could be. It's definately tough going for the batsmen.

What isn't in doubt is we are set for some more absorbing cricket in a compelling test match.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think 250 will be enough, 200 could be. It's definately tough going for the batsmen.

What isn't in doubt is we are set for some more absorbing cricket in a compelling test match.

I'd be worried if we only had 200. As TCB has said earlier, he's a bit hit-and-hope, but Shane Watson could break the back of that in a session, if he comes off.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Here we go again - day 3 evening session about to start. Another big session.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
250-300 will surly be enough with our bowling attack. Bell obviously needs to stay in bat for the rest of this innings though, still a long way off 250-300 (lead).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
we need nearer a 300 lead in my opinion
I agree. There really isn't much wrong with this pitch, except for the ball keeping low once every ten overs. So like you, I think we need to eek out another 100 runs from these last 4 wickets. I genuinely don't understand why people were talking about 220-250 being a par score to chase.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When Stuart Broad takes a comfortable single, he moves exactly like one of the stormtroopers in the original Star Wars films.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
260 for 6, slowly getting there.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Watson has only gone for runs from 2 deliveries in 10.2 overs so far.

Impressive!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
TMS classic capers. Bloers refers to himself as "blowjob" and doesn't understand why everyone else in the commentary team is in bits. :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lead of over 200 now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports