Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Wouldn't panic just yet. These two are more than capable of hanging around for a while, and Prior in next.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What kind of total gives England a chance? 200?

Absolute minimum chase to set I think, who knows with this match, but I'd fancy the Aussies to chase anything up to 250, but there would be a lot of pressure beyond that.

Someone needs a century (stating the absolute obvious!!)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wouldn't panic just yet. These two are more than capable of hanging around for a while, and Prior in next.

Sadly 'hanging around' is actually what is required, and is not the strong point for either of these two. Would be far happier if Trott or Cook were still there at one end.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ian Bell's test stats put him up there with some of England's greatest ever batsmen. Yet I rarely get that air of confidence with him that he'll play a knock that could turn the match England's way.

Great players play memorable innings at key times. This really is his opportunity to shape the match and the series. The ball is old and he has time, but we'll need him there for the next new ball - THAT will be the crucial stage.

Projecting forward, we might have a lead at that point of 130 - so nowhere near enough, and if he's not there you fancy the Aussies to bowl us out for a lead of around 200.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That must be one of the WORST reviews in history. What an absolute DICK!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For those of us at work with nothing but this thread, who reviewed what and why was it bad?

Thank you please.

Pattinson appealled for an lbw against Bairstow, that hit in line with leg stumped, and would have missed the stumps by at least six inches.

It used up Australia's final review. Hopefully that will come back to haunt them later, and England can restore some balance.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Still even at the moment... England will probably set up a tricky 230/250 chase, and it will end up being close probably.

Oh and that review was BRILLIANT. I may have just clipped leg on the set of stumps next it to it, shocking stuff, could cost them when the umpire turns down a clear edge/plum lbw later on!

England deserve to win but are in serious danger of losing, we'll still win the series though as over 5 tests England's superiority will show.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So at lunch we're effectively 92/4 and the bookies have us and the Aussies dead level, both at odds of 20/21.

This is so close where every run starts to become ever more valuable. From this position I think the Aussies would definitely take a chase of 200, and I think we'd take 250 to defend, so a par lead is around 225. We really need another 150 runs in order to start feeling good about the situation, so to do this we need to bat until the end of the day. Can we get through the new ball after lunch?

The thing about the Ashes is that every session is so vital. I hope Andy Flower is drilling into the batsmen to come the importance of being patient and reducing risk. With this Aussie bowling attack the bad balls will come.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another tight session, then. With every even session, the next session becomes ever more important and the new ball is due in the next one. A lot rides on what happens then.

Overall I agree with what they said on TMS - if this was a boat race, Australia would be half a length ahead.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pattinson appealled for an lbw against Bairstow, that hit in line with leg stumped, and would have missed the stumps by at least six inches.

It used up Australia's final review. Hopefully that will come back to haunt them later, and England can restore some balance.

It was like a broken pencil - pointless

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
What kind of total gives England a chance? 200?

200 may be enough (I hope)

Cook's dimissal ball jumped out of the rough that Swann can bowl into all innings long to all of Australia's 5?? left handed batsman.

Save for an incorrect TV stumping decision the Aussies would have been all out for 120 in the first innings, as well.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Time for Matt century.

time for matt prior to save us

These!

Here's hoping we won't get to see him for a while, but Matty P is more than capable of a quick-fire knock to pile the pressure back on the Aussies. He's obviously also capable of getting out to a loose shot for not many, but I have a feeling he'll produce in this innings!

Cracking test, this!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think we're going to need everyone to chip in with a score here. I can't see anyone getting close to 3 figures, especially as the new ball is due soon.

The longer it goes on the more the pitch is going to help Swann, I wouldn't fancy facing him on day 5 on this wicket. Unfortunately I don't think the match will last that long. If they bowl us out before stumps this evening we're buggered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here