England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Do they? Siddle - their number 8 - has an average of 15. That's very poor for a number 8.

I thought that too, but the wise sages on test match special were adamant yesterday that they can all bat. I don't think their tail is any better than ours though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Let's look at 8, 9, 10 and 11.

Pattinson averages 29, Starc averages 32, Siddle averages 15, and Agar obviously averages 98 but I'm not going to claim that will continue!

On the opposite side, Broad averages 24, Swann averages 23, Finn averages 12, and Anderson averages 10.

Considering England are widely thought of as a benchmark in Test cricket for batting right down the order, I would say it is fair to suggest Australia's tail is not too shabby either.

It's not so much averages with your tail, their often in under huge pressure, or when runs need to be scored fast.

High scores is a good judgement on a players batting ability:

Pattinson 42 Siddle 51 Starc 99

Broad 169 Swann 85 Finn 56 Anderson 34

D

Deleted member 18477

KP you absolute prat!

A ball doing nothing! Absolutely nothing and you go and do that!

All we needed was a little patience. Hopefully cook hits 150 off 300-400 or so balls and bats the proper test way which is whats needed!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
KP you absolute prat!

A ball doing nothing! Absolutely nothing and you go and do that!

All we needed was a little patience. Hopefully cook hits 150 off 300-400 or so balls and bats the proper test way which is whats needed!!

I think that is very harsh.

If you don't show some adventure, you give the bowling team the opportunity to bowl and field what and where they like.

Clearly England have a plan that Cook will play patient, but in order for him to do that at his pace, the other batsman has to score some runs.

KP had to look to punish the bad ball, otherwise the bowlers can bowl what they like, have to apply some pressure back.

Cook will want to bat the entire innings so it's up to the guys at the other end to score when they can.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If you don't show some adventure, you give the bowling team the opportunity to bowl and field what and where they like.

Clearly England have a plan that Cook will play patient, but in order for him to do that at his pace, the other batsman has to score some runs.

KP had to look to punish the bad ball, otherwise the bowlers can bowl what they like, have to apply some pressure back.

Cook will want to bat the entire innings so it's up to the guys at the other end to score when they can.

Agreed.

D

Deleted member 18477

Yes normally I'd agree. Best part of 3 days play though. On this occasion when the game is tough, really tough even the best stroke players need some patience. Even if it was to see it through to lunch. Now the Aussies are fully in control. Momentum error for England that's my point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Look on the positive side if 3 or 4 of the other batsmen can score 60+ plus a Cook ton and we will be ok and in a position to win. Sorry spoke too soon didnt realize Cook was also out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surprise surprise, the going gets tough and Pietersen and Cook get out. Bottler Bell will be next. We are paying for the fact that the one batsman we have with the brain to play the innings that is required here went yesterday.

You are so tediously predictable.

They had just EASED past the hundred partnership. In what respect was the 'going tough'?

Batsmen do get out. Its a fairly inevitable part of the game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
What kind of total gives England a chance? 200?

The way Aussies batting crumbled in the first innings I reckon we'd fancy our chances if they hace to chase anything over 175.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Just need a good solid innings out of Bell the rest should follow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports