Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When it is considered "umpire's call", at the very least I don't think it's fair the appealling team loses a review.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When it is considered "umpire's call", at the very least I don't think it's fair the appealling team loses a review.

Indeed. Had the umpire given it out, it would have stayed OUT on review. Technically he WAS out.

People might bear this in mind before whining TOO much about the Agar stumping decision...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Much of the above confirms my suspicion that video umpires or referees in no way remove the controversy from tight decisions; rather it just shifts it onto another umpire/referee. It would be the same in football: the Warnocks/Allardyces of this world would moan at the video ref just as much as they do at the proper ones now. Plus it takes a lot of the excitement out IMHO. Not a fan, personally (although it's worked well at the tennis).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Much of the above confirms my suspicion that video umpires or referees in no way remove the controversy from tight decisions; rather it just shifts it onto another umpire/referee. It would be the same in football: the Warnocks/Allardyces of this world would moan at the video ref just as much as they do at the proper ones now. Plus it takes a lot of the excitement out IMHO. Not a fan, personally (although it's worked well at the tennis).

Its not there to avoid or prevent the controversy of tight decisions though, its to correct clear umpire errors (if you have a review left of course)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What no score update?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Its not there to avoid or prevent the controversy of tight decisions though, its to correct clear umpire errors (if you have a review left of course)

Exactly, it's there to prevent absolute howlers, which in the main it does.

Hawkeye can never be 100% accurate because it is predicting what would have happened, hence the inbuilt margin for error.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dearie me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here