England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I still maintain England would have been better off with 5 bowlers in their side - Bresnan for Bairstow.

And can anyone explain why Broad has just come on to bowl his first over today? If he's fit enough to bowl now then how come not an hour ago?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What odds on this 18 year old debutant number 11 getting a TON?

And can anyone explain why Broad has just come on to bowl his first over today? If he's fit enough to bowl now then how come not an hour ago?
Yes, this. I couldn't believe it when he was given the ball. Utter twattery from Cook and Broad.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Botham's fault - Predicted 10-0 over both series - my arse!

You can always rely on some fight from an Aussie team. This kid is making the best bowlers we have look very poor.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Well done Australia! 100+ stand for the last wicket ... making our bowlers look like Sunday afternoon amateurs.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If only the third umpire had made the CORRECT decision...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I still maintain England would have been better off with 5 bowlers in their side - Bresnan for Bairstow.

Flower send his teams out 7 bats/4 bowlers. He got badly burnt the last time we played 5 bowlers & I don't think he'll be going back to it. An injured bowler is the big risk but England have in the past benefited greatly from the improved batting strength.

I'd imagine that whilst Broad is fit to bowl, they would rather have not risked him in the first innings if they didn't need to. They now need to (they nearly didn't), seems pretty sensible to me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Flower send his teams out 7 bats/4 bowlers. He got badly burnt the last time we played 5 bowlers & I don't think he'll be going back to it. An injured bowler is the big risk but England have in the past benefited greatly from the improved batting strength.

I'd imagine that whilst Broad is fit to bowl, they would rather have not risked him in the first innings if they didn't need to. They now need to (they nearly didn't), seems pretty sensible to me.

I totally disagree. Matt Prior is already a 6th batsman without having to play Bairstow, and Broad, Bresnan and Swann are pretty decent 7, 8 and 9. In fact you can argue that Broad and Swann are much more capable of delivering more runs that they actually do. I think Broad at 7 will deliver more 40s and 50s and less 20s-25s.

England have gotten away with it because of the number of short series, or their reliance on Swann on turning wickets. However, a 5-test Ashes series played in fine weather under constant pressure is a big ask for 4 bowlers. It is just a matter of time before we come unstuck.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree - Cook is far too conservative as a captain.
Except when reviewing his own dismissals, in which case it's always worth wasting a review on the off chance that the umpire made a mistake.

Cook is a shìt captain. Good job for him that our team is half decent.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Piss poor from us, joke

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I totally disagree. Matt Prior is already a 6th batsman without having to play Bairstow, and Broad, Bresnan and Swann are pretty decent 7, 8 and 9. In fact you can argue that Broad and Swann are much more capable of delivering more runs that they actually do. I think Broad at 7 will deliver more 40s and 50s and less 20s-25s.

England have gotten away with it because of the number of short series, or their reliance on Swann on turning wickets. However, a 5-test Ashes series played in fine weather under constant pressure is a big ask for 4 bowlers. It is just a matter of time before we come unstuck.

I don't disagree with the theory but there is no way Broad is a Test Match 7. Bresnan perhaps. Flower won't play 5 bowlers unless one of them could be played as a batsman alone, that's his theory not mine.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1-19 (Watson), 2-19 (Cowan), 3-22 (Clarke), 4-53 (Rogers), 5-108 (Smith), 6-113 (Haddin), 7-114 (Siddle), 8-114 (Starc), 9-117 (Pattinson).

Woeful. HILARIOUSLY woeful.

Posted just after the 9th wicket fell.

I therefore take FULL responsibility for this. :facepalm:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Blimey! An hour or so of the session being lame and all of a sudden we have a shit captain, rubbish selections/tactics from the management... have we lost the Ashes already?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
England need to get this innings closed very quickly after lunch, or we might see an early collapse when we bat again.. that's the way it tends to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports