Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I take your point but equally, he would have been thinking Finn & Swann would be a handful on a cracked, turning pitch on days 4 & 5. It's not Cook's fault that England batted so poorly, with a bit of application they could have ended the day 300-5. Rule of thumb is to look down rather than up as a captain in this scenario and the pitch does look like it is going to deteriorate. Had it been a batting paradise & the overhead conditions were as they were yesterday, I would have been more inclined to bowl first to take any sort of advantage from atmospheric conditions before cashing in on days 2 & 3.

This is from someone who ususally feels that England are guilty of erring on the side of caution too frequently.

This could be one of those pitches that just dies as the test match goes on. First day may well end up having been the best day to bowl...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And this sort of dilema is why I love the game!

Hindsight is a great thing, but I just wanted us to bowl first morning. I thought it might have been just me, but felt partially vindicated when Botham said the same thing. Anyway, done now, but the ball doesn't look like it's doing anything now, which should actually be positive for our 2nd innings...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sod this, back to the Tour for me, this is getting embarrassing now.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I do wish Botham would stop whining. He's such a boring old twathole. The Aussie kid's playing brilliantly, got to give him credit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here