England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Worst review ever! What was Pattinson thinking? Absolutely plum.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Missus is on holiday this weekend and I was planning a good Ashes session on Saturday or Sunday ! Not looking too rosey at the moment

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1-19 (Watson), 2-19 (Cowan), 3-22 (Clarke), 4-53 (Rogers), 5-108 (Smith), 6-113 (Haddin), 7-114 (Siddle), 8-114 (Starc), 9-117 (Pattinson).

Woeful. HILARIOUSLY woeful.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cook needs to learn from this. Everything about yesterday morning suggested England should bowl. Okay, the pitch looked dry, but it did have some cracks with some green and it was cloudy overhead. Beefy said as much at the time 'great toss to lose'. Regardless of conditions, I just felt we had more to lose batting than we did bowling. It would have been a brave decision, but it would have been a statement of intent and a positive move. My only reservations about Cook are that he always seems to captain from a position of defence. I guess I still miss Vaughan's inventiveness and creativity in captaining the side.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Cricinfo: Swann to Agar, no run, big appeal here, first for caught behind, which is turned down, and then for a stumping as the ball turns past Agar's bat. The third umpire, Marais Erasmus takes a very long time over this one. Agar dragged his foot out of the crease but it's one of those ones where at the point the bails came off, it was hard to be sure if any of Agar's foot was grounded behind the line. Chances are he was out, but the footage wasn't quite conclusive enough and I can understand Erasmus giving Agar the benefit of the doubt.

Generous towards the turd umpire. That was OUT.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Cook needs to learn from this. Everything about yesterday morning suggested England should bowl. Okay, the pitch looked dry, but it did have some cracks with some green and it was cloudy overhead. Beefy said as much at the time 'great toss to lose'. Regardless of conditions, I just felt we had more to lose batting than we did bowling. It would have been a brave decision, but it would have been a statement of intent and a positive move. My only reservations about Cook are that he always seems to captain from a position of defence. I guess I still miss Vaughan's inventiveness and creativity in captaining the side.

I take your point but equally, he would have been thinking Finn & Swann would be a handful on a cracked, turning pitch on days 4 & 5. It's not Cook's fault that England batted so poorly, with a bit of application they could have ended the day 300-5. Rule of thumb is to look down rather than up as a captain in this scenario and the pitch does look like it is going to deteriorate. Had it been a batting paradise & the overhead conditions were as they were yesterday, I would have been more inclined to bowl first to take any sort of advantage from atmospheric conditions before cashing in on days 2 & 3.

This is from someone who ususally feels that England are guilty of erring on the side of caution too frequently.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Bowl him a yorker, England never bowl yorkers at tail enders.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Finn is being classic Homer Simpson.....bowl it short, doh!....bowl it short, doh!....bowl it short, doh!....bowl it short, doh!....bowl it short, doh!....bowl it short, doh!....bowl it short, doh!....

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Stop bowling short. What the hell is going on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports