[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lovely to hear John Holder in the " Ask The Umpire " lunch break confirm that the Umpire should ( and did ) award 6 runs in the World Cup Final when the ball came off Stoke's bat and went for 4 overthrows... so that's it ! We Won !

I heard him say 5!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is starting to sound like a football crowd... and it's only Friday afternoon :facepalm:

".... long to reign over YOU"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
100 partnership for Burns 65* and Root 38* (34.2 overs, RR2.91) :clap2:

England 122-1 (41.4 overs), trailing by 162

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I heard him say 5!

He also clearly said that the ball was live so Stokes had every reason to go for the second run and that it would have been impossible for the Umpire to check for a possible run-out. players running down the pitch and estimate at what point in the second run the ball was released by the fielder.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If you start this again here, there will be thread BANS! :laugh:

He also clearly said that the ball was live so Stokes had every reason to go for the second run and that it would have been impossible for the Umpire to check for a possible run-out. players running down the pitch and estimate at what point in the second run the ball was released by the fielder.

:wrong:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Root and Burns giving a foundation to lessen the Ist Innings deficit from the inevitable middle order collapse.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've never seen anything like it.

Has someone drugged the umpires?

One of the pundits on 5-Live yesterday was bemoaning the terrible standard of umpiring on Day 1, saying that as the best umpires are invariably English and Australian, we should consider using them alternately in Ashes tests, and trust their professional impartiality.

Not for me Clive. It would just add a whole new layer of potential controversy if they made a few duff calls against the other side. I'd prefer to put up with incompetence rather than potential accusations of bias. At least their errors usually get corrected on review anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One of the pundits on 5-Live yesterday was bemoaning the terrible standard of umpiring on Day 1, saying that as the best umpires are invariably English and Australian, we should consider using them alternately in Ashes tests, and trust their professional impartiality.

Not for me Clive. It would just add a whole new layer of potential controversy if they made a few duff calls against the other side. I'd prefer to put up with incompetence rather than potential accusations of bias. At least their errors usually get corrected on review anyway.
Indeed. At least we have DRS to fix the mistakes, let's not bring the possibility of bias into the game.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Montgomery Burns must have scored half his runs with edges through the slip region today, very fortunate.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Montgomery Burns must have scored half his runs with edges through the slip region today, very fortunate.

It's a real bonus that England have to build on. He's not really a Test opener for me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It's a real bonus that England have to build on. He's not really a Test opener for me.

His technique is bizzare that’s for sure, but everyone will forget all the fortune and the fact he should have been LB if he makes a century. It must be said England have had some utterly outrageous luck today

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Joe Root 53* (110 balls, 6 fours) :clap2:

His 42nd in Test cricket, with 16 hundreds.

England 148-1 (47.1 overs), trailing by 136

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It must be said England have had some utterly outrageous luck today
The edges, and one decision (which the Aussies had no interest in reviewing, because it didn't look out)?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Root... drives softly straight back to Siddle who grabs it with one hand :nono:

JE Root c & b Siddle 57 (119b 6x4 0x6)

154-2 (50 overs), trailing by 130

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports