Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Agreed. Much more entertaining seeing batsmen out for low scores but hitting out at everything and losing.

Point taken. But Boycott took utter mind-numbing boredom to another level. I'd rather lose than see that conceited, rug head tw*t lay a bat on everything.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Point taken. But Boycott took utter mind-numbing boredom to another level. I'd rather lose than see that conceited, rug head tw*t lay a bat on everything.

Well it depends on what you want. Test cricket was always about not losing first and winning next. I would much prefer us to grind out a draw than lose going for it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As an aside Darren Gough was on Sky Sports test match program this evening...he’s quite large now ..maybe i’m Being harsh

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Maybe our bacon will be saved by the rain that is forecast for the Warwicks area tomorrow?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd back us with a top 7 like this in their primes.

1.Cook
2.Atherton
3.Compton
4.Trott
5.Thorpe
6.Collingwood
7.Russell

You are forgetting Banger and The Judge.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Too aggressive for my liking, they actually played shots.

I prefer my batsman to have zero back lift and employ a good leave.

The Jack Russell leave was a thing of beauty.

Calling Keith Fletcher

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Quite poor really to have a visiting team 120-8 on the first day of the first test, to find yourself trying to bat out the day come day 5 to get a draw.

Questions must be asked of Roots captaincy, he is our best player but I’m just not convinced he’s the right man, sympathy for the fact we’ve been a bowler down but doesn’t excuse the way we let them off in the first innings. Even if we salvage a draw the belief this test will give the Aussies is of most concern.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was against the West Indies some 60 years ago.

I'm not sure that's a useful example: there was a lot of pad play against Ramadhin and Valentine, something that's not possible these days thanks to the change in LBW law and DRS

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
But I recall Boycs batting on every day of a 5 day test. It was beyond dire. Many Test matches back in the day were often effectively stalemates, not draws. Cricket in the 1960s and 70s was dying; brilliant that it can fill grounds.
And when Boycott went into his self imposed exile in the mid 70s, it just happened to be when Lillee & Thomson were in their prime. Probably would have been the only time I would have enjoyed watching him bat.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Look, it's quite easy today. We trundle along at 3 or 4 an over for the morning and afternoon sessions, without losing a single wicket, then after tea go into World Cup/T20 mode and smash the ball all over Edgbaston to go 1-0 up

:flypig::jester::flypig:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Look, it's quite easy today. We trundle along at 3 or 4 an over for the morning and afternoon sessions, without losing a single wicket, then after tea go into World Cup/T20 mode and smash the ball all over Edgbaston to go 1-0 up

:flypig::jester::flypig:

Hmmmm.....I agree.....oink, oink......brace yourself for a limp surrender. Anything else is bonus territory. This is a truly terrible England batting side at Test level. Mindset all wrong. Most have techniques that you could drive a no.47 bus through. This is what you get when the executive decide that one day cricket is the priority. Win the World Cup, lose the Ashes ( I know its early...but the signs aren't good )
p.s This is an ordinary Aussie side. Very ordinary.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Quite poor really to have a visiting team 120-8 on the first day of the first test, to find yourself trying to bat out the day come day 5 to get a draw.

Questions must be asked of Roots captaincy, he is our best player but I’m just not convinced he’s the right man, sympathy for the fact we’ve been a bowler down but doesn’t excuse the way we let them off in the first innings. Even if we salvage a draw the belief this test will give the Aussies is of most concern.

.....and we were 189-2.......and 282-4......... ( Buttler/Bairstow/Ali.... all went predictably cheaply )
Root hasn't got a clue. Smith is ultra talented but there was no strategy to bowl to him. No thought given. Siddle and Lyon allowed to add 162 runs for the last two wickets! Edgbaston is supposedly our fortress but if we crumble today, that will be a massive momentum swing.
p.s If Root is our best player, he needs to start batting like Smith, knuckle down and be 140 not out at close.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

The reason is simply Smith.
We cannot get the man out until he makes a big score.
Until that changes, we will struggle to beat them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here