Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England - Ukraine Qualifier & Scotland Friendly

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone know when squad announced for this? I can see the squads for the qualifiers back in June were announced 3 weeks earlier, and given the Ukraine game is 9th Sept, we're almost 3 weeks out.

Surely Dunk will be in this time, especially with Mings out? Outside chance for Solly?

I wouldn't care generally - especially given the club season has just started - I just really want to see Dunk getting a few more caps, he more than deserves it.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Southgate at the game today, timely enough.

Squad announcement must be imminent?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Before yesterday's trouncing of Everton, Villa wore prematch 'TY' t-shirts to send a supportive message to Mings.

Meanwhile it's just been announced that John Stones is ruled out until after the forthcoming international break.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66567715

With another CB out, his form and Albion's success, one would think there's a fair chance Dunk's going to be called up again.

9th September - Ukraine (A)
12th September - Scotland (A) - 150th Anniversary Heritage Match

Not that I suspect many Albion fans really want an international break at the moment with how we're playing, but them's the breaks.
Added in from another thread.

SURELY Dunk is in this time?!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was just about to start a thread on this.

The defenders in the last squad were...

Trent Alexander-Arnold
Marc Guehi
Harry Maguire
Tyrone Mings
Luke Shaw
John Stones
Kieran Trippier
Kyle Walker
Levi Colwill

...with Colwill only called up because of Dunk's withdrawal.

Mings and Stones are both definitely out so Lewis can't miss out again, can he? I appreciate this is Gareth Southgate we're talking about...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd love to see March called up. Would do wonders for his confidence
Got to have half a chance after the last 2 games.

Consistently adding goals to already strong performances now.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bouncing this.

Does anyone know when the bearded wonder is due to announce his squad. Can't find any dates anywhere.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bouncing this.

Does anyone know when the bearded wonder is due to announce his squad. Can't find any dates anywhere.
I'm baffled that there isn't any noise around this yet. As mentioned earlier, the squad for the last set was announced 3 weeks prior, whereas we're 2 weeks away now and still not even a whisper.

Could March's utility mean an outside chance of making the squad? It's tricky because the wings/wide spots are arguably where we have the most talent;

Saka
Grealish
Foden
Bowen
Rashford(ish)
Maddison
Eze

Sure there's probably others.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

I'm baffled that there is noise around this yet. As mentioned earlier, the squad for the last set was announced 3 weeks prior, whereas we're 2 weeks away now and still not even a whisper.

Could March's utility mean an outside chance of making the squad? It's tricky because the wings/wide spots are arguably where we have the most talent;

Saka
Grealish
Foden
Bowen
Rashford(ish)
Maddison
Eze

In a weird twist of fate, RDZ as Solly’s manager has probably given him less chance of making the England squad than Potter as his manager.

Under Potter, Solly was becoming an exceptional LWB where you could argue there’s a spot for him in a Southgate team which plays wing backs.

Under RDZ, he is an exceptional right winger but Saka should be undisputed in that position for England. Arguably Foden ahead of him too, not that he should be played as a right winger.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm baffled that there is noise around this yet. As mentioned earlier, the squad for the last set was announced 3 weeks prior, whereas we're 2 weeks away now and still not even a whisper.

Saka
Grealish
Foden
Bowen
Rashford(ish)
Maddison
Eze

That squad was announced for games a couple of weeks into the close season. It was more than likely announced earlier than normal because players called up needed to know in case holiday plans etc needed changing. Once players have been told they are in the squad there seems to be little point delaying the announcement to the public as it would just leak anyway.

I’d expect the squad to be announced sometime next week before the weekend games going into the international break. That’s the more normal way of doing things.

Edit - I’ve done some searching and it appears it squad will be announced 2pm on Thursday 31st August.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In a weird twist of fate, RDZ as Solly’s manager has probably given him less chance of making the England squad than Potter as his manager.

Under Potter, Solly was becoming an exceptional LWB where you could argue there’s a spot for him in a Southgate team which plays wing backs.

Under RDZ, he is an exceptional right winger but Saka should be undisputed in that position for England. Arguably Foden ahead of him too, not that he should be played as a right winger.
My thinking is Solly's ability to play RM, LM, LWB and let's be honest probably RWB make him a good shout for a utility player in case of injuries on the flanks?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My thinking is Solly's ability to play RM, LM, LWB and let's be honest probably RWB make him a good shout for a utility player in case of injuries on the flanks?

Great for a tournament, but not really useful for qualifiers

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Southgate just doesn't understand RDZ's game. It confuses him.

Then again, Southgate has the look of a baffled and surprised man most of the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here