Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England. Tomorrow style of play ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
More of how we played against Italy. We may have lost but I thought we played quite well and I enjoyed the match. We are not going to come anywhere near winning the thing so let's at least try and entertain on our way out the door.

Absolutely this. Same 11, just bring Rooney back into the middle playing just behind Sturridge, and use Sterling's pace out on the left. Jobs a good-un :thumbsup:

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
I don't get why we still bother with Rooney, he's nowhere near world class, up until Rodriguez got injured he had the same amount of goals as Rooney but still we give Rooney chance after chance, he isn't good enough and there is no reason to move Sterling ( who was class against Italy) just to accommodate Rooney, although I know he won't Roy should drop him, any decent striker would've buried that chance.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
More of how we played against Italy. We may have lost but I thought we played quite well and I enjoyed the match. We are not going to come anywhere near winning the thing so let's at least try and entertain on our way out the door.
Agreed. By England's standards of the last World Cup, maybe even the one before, that was a BRILLIANT performance against a nation who historically have always been much stronger than us. I was dreading it before the game, thinking that we were going to produce our usual dire World Cup performance and ruin the opening week, but that was refreshingly different. Yeah you could argue that it's 'all about results' and ultimately we got nothing from it, but as you say we're rank outsiders, so that performace was MUCH better than watching England labour to a typically sterile 0-0 draw as per usual.

I'd settle for the same bright performance tonight, yes even if it results in defeat. (But actually I don't think it will).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't get why we still bother with Rooney, he's nowhere near world class, up until Rodriguez got injured he had the same amount of goals as Rooney but still we give Rooney chance after chance, he isn't good enough and there is no reason to move Sterling ( who was class against Italy) just to accommodate Rooney, although I know he won't Roy should drop him, any decent striker would've buried that chance.

I can understand the frustration with him, but it's worth remembering:
* Sir Alex Ferguson - arguably the best manager Britain has produced - always thought he was worth parting with £200k a week for.
* We don't see what he does in training.
* He was played out of position on Saturday, but nevertheless according to the stats, he ran further than anyone else on the pitch. He's proper fit.

I agree with you, we haven't seen anything like what we would hope from him - but then nor had Argentina with Messi. Until this world cup.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has got to combat the fact that he made a mistake taking Shaw instead of Cole as Baines cannot do his prime job to defend as was shown against Italy. With Cole there he could have taken Henderson off and pushed Baines into a left midfield role with Cole at the back.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

He has the highest number of goals, and the highest number of assists, in the Hodgson England era. Do you honestly think Rodriguez, to take your example, would have that stat if he'd have played instead of Rooney?

Rooney is quality. He isn't in the same league as the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, but he would get in the squad of every football team on planet Earth. How many other players do we have that would do that? Certainly less than 11, so therefore he should play.

scooter1

How soon is now?
You obviously didn't watch the Italy game. We had a very clear, defined style of playing. Looked pretty bloody good too.
Thy had a gameplan against Italy, not a style of play. Are they trying the same game plan tonight, because Italy and Uruguay play very differently and tonight England are poor. They don't look a team with a style of play, just individuals wearing the same kit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here