England to win the World Cup in 2022?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As for what he said, the main thrust is good - he wants to set up an FA Commission to establish how we can improve in the long run. It is what comes out in the findings and whether the good ideas are implemented that will determine long term prospects for England.

I'm not optimistic. Howard Wilkinson produced a great report with some unpalatable findings two decades ago, but the FA just ignored him. If we are in the same position in 2022 as we are now, it really ought to be time the government stepped in to protect the game from the fückwittery we see and from being used as a plaything of people like Russian/Arab oligarchs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But on your assumption you are making a caste iron decision on players at a relatively young age.

If there were more opportunities for young English talent throughout the leagues then you would be surprised how many decent players who otherwise wouldnt be given the opportunity today might flourish, even going on to the international stage.

But that's always been the case. If someone is a late developer then they'll come through: look at Stuart Pearce and Ian Wright, they didn't come into league football until their 20s and both went on to play for England.

I simply don't accept there's someone playing for Scunthorpe or Accrington who's good enough to play for England - if players are any good, they'll be found out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I simply don't accept there's someone playing for Scunthorpe or Accrington who's good enough to play for England - if players are any good, they'll be found out.
I actually think it is possible that some lower league players never get to play to their potential - look at how Adam El Abd went from utter liability under Thicky, to "best defender at the club" under Gus in just a few short weeks.

However some only have themselves to blame. If some of them broadened their horizons by playing abroad - even in the lower leagues - they might unlock this potential. I think Paul Lambert is the best example of this dramatic fullfillment of potential, when moved from bog standard Scottish player at Motherwell to highly regarded playmaker when Borussia Dortmund spotted something in him.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe I've got the wrong idea of these football competitions but shouldn't we be aiming to win them all ? Isn't that the point of entering ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I actually think it is possible that some lower league players never get to play to their potential - look at how Adam El Abd went from utter liability under Thicky, to "best defender at the club" under Gus in just a few short weeks.

I'm sure there are a few but I don't think they're that numerous. Yes, AEA improved but remember that he was a fringe player when we were last in this division (pre-Poyet) and now, post-Poyet, he's a, er, fringe player. I'm not denying that he's a better player but he's not that much better.

However some only have themselves to blame. If some of them broadened their horizons by playing abroad - even in the lower leagues - they might unlock this potential. I think Paul Lambert is the best example of this dramatic fullfillment of potential, when moved from bog standard Scottish player at Motherwell to highly regarded playmaker when Borussia Dortmund spotted something in him.

That's what I said earlier - I'm sure that more young players would benefit from a move like this

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sure there are a few but I don't think they're that numerous. Yes, AEA improved but remember that he was a fringe player when we were last in this division (pre-Poyet) and now, post-Poyet, he's a, er, fringe player. I'm not denying that he's a better player but he's not that much better.
He is! He's MILES better. He used to get destroyed in league one with his constant backing off to onrushing forwards, and general cluelessness on the ball - he was only in the side because there was no competition. Then after Thicky got sacked, El Abd became a regular the very next season under Poyet in a side that won the title with ease!

My point was that sometimes you're never going to see a player reach his potential without a change of manager, which led me to that second point you agreed with. i.e. go and find that manager by moving abroad

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The important point of that speech is that he's admitting that we have no realistic chance of winning in 2014 or 2018. So, assuming we qualify, is there any chance next year that we can lose all the "with our world-class players we're one of the favourites" jingoistic claptrap that usually accompanies an England World Cup campaign? (Along with the associated opposite over-reaction that we're 'shit' when the pre-tournament hype is exposed as wishful thinking).

Just watch the football, and I bet you that with the pressure off an unrated England side will do just as well as some of their more over-hyped predecessors - with the added bonus that people will be pleased with something like getting to the quarter finals as opposed to seeing it as a failure!

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Would like to see England win a world cup, but we don't really have a lot of quality in the existing team , aside from Rooney and perhaps Gerrard. If Hodgson thinks he can win a world cup with players like Tom Cleverly and Phil Jones he's dreaming.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5924038 said:
:lolol:

So what does everyone think of Dyke's speech then?

Sadly I have it all before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I torally agree with your Lambert comments. But, the UK comfort zone on silly wages or a foreign challenge on lesser income is the reality for most. Hhmmmmm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He is! He's MILES better. He used to get destroyed in league one with his constant backing off to onrushing forwards, and general cluelessness on the ball - he was only in the side because there was no competition. Then after Thicky got sacked, El Abd became a regular the very next season under Poyet in a side that won the title with ease!

My point was that sometimes you're never going to see a player reach his potential without a change of manager, which led me to that second point you agreed with. i.e. go and find that manager by moving abroad

I believe he was a champions league winner with Dortmund as well.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Stumpy Tim

England do have some decent players coming through. Wilshire, Gibbs, Sterling, Shaw, Will Hughes, Loftus-Cheek, Lundstram, Rossiter, Chalobah & (dare I say it) Poyet are all top talents. The key is them getting regular game time - Half of those players are getting regular game time to be fair.

For a Premier League team, it makes much more financial sense to take young British kids into their academies than gamble on foreign talent. Unfortunately, 11 year old Spanish kids are technically better than 11 year old English kids. I personally think the Premier League gets a bum rap... it would be less risky for those clubs to stuff their academies with English kids who will have parents around to support them. Unfortunately our kids aren't good enough so the clubs look abroad.

As an aside, Loftus-Cheek is a TREMENDOUS name. I would love him to be the England captain to lift the World Cup, just for comedy value

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Maybe I've got the wrong idea of these football competitions but shouldn't we be aiming to win them all ? Isn't that the point of entering ?

This was my immediate thought when I heard his speech and you're the first to mention it. It'll just give all involved...players and management....reasons for failure in 2014 2016 2018 and 2020 as everything is geared towards this target.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I was born in 1965, I still firmly believe that in the current climate England will only win the World Cup once in my lifetime.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
At least I can say that I saw it in 1966. I was out delivering the Argus on the Knoll estate which was like a ghost town. Got back home to watch the extra time.

I would love to see it again before I die but have my doubts..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As for what he said, the main thrust is good - he wants to set up an FA Commission to establish how we can improve in the long run. It is what comes out in the findings and whether the good ideas are implemented that will determine long term prospects for England.

I have heard all this hot air before. Which FA bod was it who used the term 'root and branch report'? Did we ever see this? No. Besides, it is not rocket science. You only need look to the numerous simple foreign models to see how it is done. Or look to the cycling team, or Team GB. I have said time and time again nothing will be done whilst the FA, Premier League and FL are all pulling in different directions. You need a coherent joined up strategy at the very least. Not the chaotic system we currently have. The big English clubs are all foreign owned. Most Prem clubs have foreign managers, and most of the rest are also foreign owned...why the **** do they care about English players and the national team? The Premiership is too busy eating itself to bother about nuturing young English talent. And I do wonder what the hell they teach at places like Upton Park and Stoke and Sunderland...it certainly isnt football.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You all know my views on this shambles so I will dip out and not bore you anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports