Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England test squad

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Root probably but TBH him at 4 is about the only thing working in the batting at the moment. Wouldn’t totally object to Stokes at 3.

Suspect Broad and Anderson will feature this summer. Although my ticket for the Oval starting to feel like it might be a farewell test…

Agree Stokes is a possible but 3 is clearly one of the biggest problems because at present it’s up for grabs and there’s no-one grabbing!

monkeymz

Sep 27, 2011
as good as broad and Anderson have been for england there is a time to stop and now is as good a time as any now. The rest are the good enough dunno so why not try others might find a couple of gems

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
as good as broad and Anderson have been for england there is a time to stop and now is as good a time as any now. The rest are the good enough dunno so why not try others might find a couple of gems

Disagree. Anderson was our best looking bowler in Australia. He’s getting better (more economical) with age and offers expert control. He plays if he’s fit as he’s part of the strongest 11 IMO. Also provides the younger bowlers a model to develop from.

I can see why they were rested for this tour though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maybe ... but he's also 35 this summer and after 22 tests has an average of 27. That maybe ok for a young batter finding his feet, but he's scarcely one for the future

1. Malan is the ONLY England batsman to be averaging in the 30s in 2021 (34.22). Root is out on his own at 61, the rest are in the 20s or worse.

2. England are happy to play bowlers in their mid/late 30s but not a batsman?

3. Mike Hussey scored 10 of his 19 test centuries from age 34 onwards.

You can make a good case for Malan having been our second best batsman over the past year or so.

West Indies bowlers will be licking their lips.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Another Ashes - another embarrassing hammering.

England women given a right hiding too. All the energy, flare and excitement seemed to have been sucked from the squad. Ultra defensive throughout. Weird selections.

Hopefully the coach will get kicked out like the men did with Silverwood and we can have an Englishwoman leading England Womens Cricket. Charlotte Edwards CBE.

"Lottie" knows what it takes to win the Ashes having won 3 Ashes series and captained England to T20 & ODI World Cups. Head coach at Southern Vipers & Southern Braves and assistant head coach at Adelaide Strikers. The outstanding choice.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Disagree. Anderson was our best looking bowler in Australia. He’s getting better (more economical) with age and offers expert control. He plays if he’s fit as he’s part of the strongest 11 IMO. Also provides the younger bowlers a model to develop from.

I can see why they were rested for this tour though.

The only thing I'd question is, does he have a positive impact on the squad? Personally I think he's a bit of a twunt and I'm not sure he's highly thought of as a character when you hear some of the comments about him. Still a fantastic bowled but the character, dunno? Obv I could be, and probably am, completely wrong.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
I thought this was a thread asking for players

My mistake.

I've got a career village batting average of 8 with two fifties.

Number 6 it is then. I'll pack.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
1. Malan is the ONLY England batsman to be averaging in the 30s in 2021 (34.22). Root is out on his own at 61, the rest are in the 20s or worse.

2. England are happy to play bowlers in their mid/late 30s but not a batsman?

3. Mike Hussey scored 10 of his 19 test centuries from age 34 onwards.

You can make a good case for Malan having been our second best batsman over the past year or so.

West Indies bowlers will be licking their lips.

Bowlers in their mid-30s have a long and excellent test career, Malan hasn't

Hussey started for Australia at a relatively late age but hit the ground running, by the time he'd played 22 games, he had hit eight centuries

As I said, you can give someone time - Steve Waugh took a long time to get going, but he was in early 20s, someone at 34 hasn't got time on his side

Of course, he may back for the summer but it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here