Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England team: New Golden Generation?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rio Ferdinand was on the radio talking about the "Golden Generation" team that he was a part of. He claimed that the main problem was that the best shape for them would have been a three man mid-field with one central striker but that would have involved dropping one of Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen or possibly David Beckham and that the managers at the time didn't have the stomach for the private and public fall out.
True, plus there used to be club " cliques" at times. It was well known that the Liverpool and I United players did not mingle.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Rio Ferdinand was on the radio talking about the "Golden Generation" team that he was a part of. He claimed that the main problem was that the best shape for them would have been a three man mid-field with one central striker but that would have involved dropping one of Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen or possibly David Beckham and that the managers at the time didn't have the stomach for the private and public fall out.

The problem with that era was picking the wrong manager, Sven was the worse England manager ever. Playing Scholes on the left and that whole debate about Gerrard and Lampard couldn't play together. What a joke!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Sadly. I've heard it all before. England lucked out in the WC, until they met someone half decent.

Southgate is overrated too.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pickford is gash. Has to be Tom Heaton or Dean Henderson, surely? As soon as Henderson is recalled by Man Utd to replace De Gea, Southgate will pick him as there has always been a bias towards players of big clubs. And of course they're always right - the way Tyrone Mings has slammed the door shut on all Villas opponents to guarantee their Premier league spot for next season is case in point. How very shrewd of Southgate to pick him ahead of Coady and Dunk. :wanker:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It looks a solid lineup, but the one thing i think it's missing is a bit of 'bite' in midfield. Each great team has had something of an enforcer to break up the play. There's a buttload of talent in that team, but not sure how they'd cope when the opponents resort to kicking lumps out of them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Pickford is gash. Has to be Tom Heaton or Dean Henderson, surely? As soon as Henderson is recalled by Man Utd to replace De Gea, Southgate will pick him as there has always been a bias towards players of big clubs. And of course they're always right - the way Tyrone Mings has slammed the door shut on all Villas opponents to guarantee their Premier league spot for next season is case in point. How very shrewd of Southgate to pick him ahead of Coady and Dunk. :wanker:

Pickford isn't gash. He has never let his country down. He was great in the world cup. Henderson may prove to be better. I hope so.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think we generally agree that Pickford would be a weakness in that team, and Henderson and Heston look tone a better bet, but, I think Ramsdale, Bournemouth’s keeper should be considered. He’s young and English, he looks to have the potential to be a very good keeper.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
I think we need to utilise the team that Klopp has built at Liverpool, keep the links of players than know each other.

GK - Pickford
RWB - TAA
CB - Gomez
CB - Dunk (but realistically Maguire)
LWB - Chilwell
CDM - Henderson
CM - Oxlade-Chamberlain
CM - Maddison
RW - Rashford
ST - Kane
LW - Sterling

Subs
- Henderson
- Walker
- Stones
- Foden
- Grealish
- Sancho

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It looks a solid lineup, but the one thing i think it's missing is a bit of 'bite' in midfield. Each great team has had something of an enforcer to break up the play. There's a buttload of talent in that team, but not sure how they'd cope when the opponents resort to kicking lumps out of them.

Footballs not like that anymore, the hardman enforcer is a thing of the past

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
How about the captain of the Premier League winners and Champions League holders?! Jordan Henderson is a quality player and should be the first midfielder on the team sheet at the moment.

Foden is massively exciting and will be a crucial part of the side sooner rather than later. The only problem for him with England will be playing for inferior managers and with inferior players.

Hopefully with another season of premier league football Dean Henderson will be ready as he does look the real deal but has made some mistakes this season. Nick Pope is also a good option. I don’t think Heaton is the answer at all and the sooner Pickford isn’t first choice the better.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Hmm, not sure. I just think it's less blatant. There are still some properly cynical teams in Euro qualifying and in the Premier League. Opponents much more likely to share the hacking duties (we did against Traore at the Amex, though I'm not sure whether this was tactical or we just couldn't get near him). This will increase now there's more subs

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How about the captain of the Premier League winners and Champions League holders?! Jordan Henderson is a quality player and should be the first midfielder on the team sheet at the moment.

Foden is massively exciting and will be a crucial part of the side sooner rather than later. The only problem for him with England will be playing for inferior managers and with inferior players.

Hopefully with another season of premier league football Dean Henderson will be ready as he does look the real deal but has made some mistakes this season. Nick Pope is also a good option. I don’t think Heaton is the answer at all and the sooner Pickford isn’t first choice the better.

Agree about Jordan Henderson. There are better international midfielders, but he must be a better bet than Loftus-Cheek or anyone else we have. I think we have a number of promising attacking midfielders. Not too sure about the defensive ones coming through. Rice? hmmm, not yet

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hmm, not sure. I just think it's less blatant. There are still some properly cynical teams in Euro qualifying and in the Premier League. Opponents much more likely to share the hacking duties (we did against Traore at the Amex, though I'm not sure whether this was tactical or we just couldn't get near him). This will increase now there's more subs

These cynical teams rarely, if ever, win tournaments though. The most recent and successful was the Argentina side which got to the WC final in 2014. In the final they tried it on with Schweinstiger but he kept his cool and collected the free kicks. You need a midfielder with a steady head, not someone to dish it out themselves. Even more so with VAR

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I'm not suggesting having someone that it a flat-out enforcer or nutter in the Vinny Jones/David Batty mould, but someone that can put their foot in and tackle, make their presence known and mix it up a bit. I agree that football has moved on from those times.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm not suggesting having someone that it a flat-out enforcer or nutter in the Vinny Jones/David Batty mould, but someone that can put their foot in and tackle, make their presence known and mix it up a bit. I agree that football has moved on from those times.

Batty was a little better than that, but I know the point you're making

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here