[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
1. Phillips is a lucky boy to be starting and doubly lucky that Maguire is in the team to take all the flak that might have otherwise come his way.
2. I hope this is an indicator Hendo is on the way out. There was a time not so long ago when he would have started this game.
3. Does anyone else think Trippier at left- back is a good idea? Not for me Clive. Disaster waiting to happen with Slabhead alongside him. Dunk and Colwill was the way to go.

Trippier at left back is an area we can be got at, he's not a great defender.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Happy Dunk isn't playing.
It was fairly obvious that the B team was selected for Australia.

I heard a theory that Southgate will keep the faith with the old guard until we're qualified and will then look to see who he wants in the first team for the tournament.

Seemed plausible, but only because sticking with the likes of Maguire and Philips is mental based on current form.

I hope we win, but I will have a wry smile if Maguire is shown up as not good enough at this level anymore.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I just hope that we are more upset about this than Dunk himself. He must wonder just what the hell he has to do. Easy for me to say but if it had been me as this stage in my career I would have told him to stuff it and have a few days R&R And make sure I was ok for my club.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Dunk outplaying Maguire at club and international level… so of course Maguire starts. What is this weird loyalty to a terrible player?!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I just hope that we are more upset about this than Dunk himself. He must wonder just what the hell he has to do. Easy for me to say but if it had been me as this stage in my career I would have told him to stuff it and have a few days R&R And make sure I was ok for my club.
I think Dunky has done enough to make the squad for the Euros.
As long as he keeps making the squad and performing when called on, he will be happy.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
yup, how he keeps just turning up for him I don’t know. Most of us would tell Southgate to do one

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah, bollox, enough is enough. Let’s get stuffed. 3 or4 nil to Italy would be great.
As a Mexican I question your heritage. Sei una pecora travestita da lupo?

:wink:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What's amazing is how Southgate keeps picking out of form players and not get called out.

He'll complain about not having competition for places, but he's got loads of competitition.

Palace fans must be fuming as well Guehi is way better than Maguire.

At least he has dropped Henderson. Even Southgate knows he can't pick a midfielder playing for a mid-table Saudi club. There are blokes playing in the Isthmian League who are getting better match practice.

Did someone write that Henderson played in front of a crowd of 987 the other night? Hilarious!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Actually quite happy Dunk not starting. Need him ready for City on Saturday.
Also, would be very happy if Gross sits on the bench for Germany in the early morning as well.
As for Maguire, it is perverse that he thinks by going against popular opinion he is taking tough decisions. It is clear as per Henderson and Phillips Southgate is mistaking what loyalty is. Loyalty would have been quietly suggesting to Maguire in the Summer he should find a club who would play him and give him chance to prove he is worthy of a place in the England squad.
Is Southgate the Thick Lizzie of football management? Time will tell. If it all goes krunk tonight...

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I would be interested in hearing Southgate's thoughts on why Maguire is considered a better option than Dunk at this time in an important game.
The interviewer did not ask that :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports