Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I don't usually watch England friendlies or qualifiers & said to Jnr that I'll only watch it if Dunk plays. I spent 90+ minutes thinking 'please don't mess up' (not that I thought he would) & felt stupidly proud from the moment he was in the starting line up. When I watch England games I don't actually take much notice of how players 'play', I just take notice of any goals. I watched Dunk every time he had the ball, his presence & confidence on the pitch was amazing, there was no fear (I think Walker clapped him for one of his passes, which I thought was a bit patronising). I can't explain how much I wanted him to score a header from a corner! :lolol:
I've spent 24 hours thinking 'holy s**t, Dunk has played for England & was fantastic'. From Withdean to the England team, he's one of our own. Crazy, crazy, crazy things we're seeing with our team at the moment. I seem to be in a perpetual state of wtf & I'm loving every moment.

:bloom:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I'm honestly fed up with Southgate constantly selecting Maguire to play. I don't why he does it, surely it has to do with favouritism? It should've been a new face, Tomori or Colwill; they would have some minutes during this international break.
Then, the coach proceeds to blame us for all the slack Maguire is receiving? It's simply because he isn't good enough, but what makes it worse is that he is blaming an inept defender who conceded an own goal on everyone else, but it is Southgate's fault!
I'm really pleased for Dunk, but also feel slightly annoyed that our defender had so many missed opportunities for other centre-backs who just aren't good enough.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'm honestly fed up with Southgate constantly selecting Maguire to play. I don't why he does it, surely it has to do with favouritism? It should've been a new face, Tomori or Colwill; they would have some minutes during this international break.
Then, the coach proceeds to blame us for all the slack Maguire is receiving? It's simply because he isn't good enough, but what makes it worse is that he is blaming an inept defender who conceded an own goal on everyone else, but it is Southgate's fault!
I'm really pleased for Dunk, but also feel slightly annoyed that our defender had so many missed opportunities for other centre-backs who just aren't good enough.
It's narcissism. Southgate has to prove he was right. Not doing Maguire any favours at all now, just trying to prove a point. Pathetically

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be honest, my first thought when Kane was hooked and was taking off the arm band was, 'Go on, hand it to Dunk! - he's played like a captain, superbly looking after both the CBs who played alongside him'. Actually quite disappointed that didn't happen - although deep down of course I knew it was never going to happen!

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Just as a side note, this cap means that he has surpassed legends Peter Ward and Tommy Cook (1), and equalled Bobby Zamora's number of England caps (2). One more, and he will have equalled that of Steve Foster (3), which is the record number of England caps for a current Brighton player.

I think this is significant because Dunky is quite possibly the greatest Albion player of all time - the greatest Albion legend - regardless of how this historic season plays out for us/him.
definitely the best if you consider the high level of contribution over so many years....

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
definitely the best if you consider the high level of contribution over so many years....
I was in the England end last night, what a privilege to be there on such a momentous ocassion for our club. Got a heads up that Lewis would be playing earlier in the day and spent most of the afternoon torn between 'proud as punch' and 'please don't f*ck it up'. I was kicking and heading every ball with him but I needn't have worried because, a couple of wayward passes aside, he played a blinder. It was incredibly satisfying to hear so many travelling England fans praising him afterwards as we made our way back into town. Would love to see a Stones / Dunk pairing.......

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You've got your facts mixed up somewhere there - Dunk only started 4 regular season league matches under Garcia.
Yes, indeed. It was Hyppia that started using Dunk regularly. Also @Curious Orange is right about Poyet but it was in the first season in the Championship that he played regularly. The Greer, El-Abd, Upson domination of the CB position was in the 12/13 season.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm going to give the waistcoatwanker some credit. Fair play for allowing England to play differently in the first half last night. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a speech prepared about how he should be praised for trying despite it failing.

If we look at the two recent games, England were so much better when Maguire was not on the pitch. Funny that. Must be a coincidence. Lewis getting so much love on social and real media tells its own obvious story.

The waistcoatwanker's use of Maguire backfired badly. He will say he was supporting his trusted player but I believe he really wanted Maguire to outshine Lewis.

Where I am going with this is the waistcoatwanker will be too pig-headed to change his ways. I fear he will revert to type and pick his next squad within his comfort zone. We all know the rest. 🤬

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just as a side note, this cap means that he has surpassed legends Peter Ward and Tommy Cook (1), and equalled Bobby Zamora's number of England caps (2). One more, and he will have equalled that of Steve Foster (3), which is the record number of England caps for a current Brighton player.

I think this is significant because Dunky is quite possibly the greatest Albion player of all time - the greatest Albion legend - regardless of how this historic season plays out for us/him.

Bobby Zamora never got any England caps as a Brighton player. He got 2 while playing for Fulham.

It’s Ben White that Lewis Dunk is now level with on 2 caps while playing for Brighton.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Probably get another 4 good years out of him or so. NSC would break if the club he supports (Chelsea) came to us with £50m for him in January and Tony took it. 😜

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Found myself reading about Dunks career on the back of this thread. Here's a summary:

2003 - Played for Wimbledon as a boy until they were liquidated, then joined BHAFC U12s.
2006 - Offered contract by Palace, but declined due to school commitments
2009 - Signed a scholarship with Albion, then went on loan to Bognor aged 18.
2010 - Signs 2 year professional contract and makes his first team debut v MK Dons under Gus Poyet at Withdean.
11/12 - First season in the Championship, injuries to El-Abd & Elphick allowed him to establish himself in the first team. He was nominated as young player of the year award, just losing out to Zaha. Called up to England U21s but never made an appearance.
12/13 - Falls behind in the pecking order to Greer and El-Abd.
13/14 - Falls behind the pecking order even further under Garcia, with Upson signing. Loaned to Bristol City.
14/15 - New 4 year contract under Hyypia. Re-establishes himself. Finished the Albions top scorer for the season.
15/16 - Transfer speculation included a £4m bid from Fulham, and linked with Newcastle, Everton and Palace. He ended up signing a 5 year contract and captaining the club for the first time under Hughton.
16/17 - Linked away again to Palace and WBA. Signs a new 5 year contract and wins promotion to the Premier League forming a new key partnership with Duffy. Named in Championship team of the year.
17/18 - Ever present in Premier League. Runner up Player of the Year to Gross
18/19 - Wins first England cap. Runner up player of the year after Duffy
19/20 - Potter makes makes him club captain. Wins player of the year award.
20/21 - Wins Players' Player of the Year award
21/22 - Had a little go in goal after Sanchez went sent off
22/23 - Captains BHAFC into Europe for the first time, and our highest ever finish.
23/24 - Wins 2nd England cap. The story continues.

What a legend.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Wow, even marca, Spain's national sports paper ....6.5 million Twitter followers is printing dunk stories

An entire article based on a joke tweet from the club, trying to bait engagement from Real Madrid fans in support of Bellingham.

This from Spain's most prestigious and famous sports publication. It's nice to see the plummeting levels of modern journalism are not just a UK phenomenon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Found myself reading about Dunks career on the back of this thread. Here's a summary:

21/22 - Had a little go in goal after Sanchez went sent off
Not for the first time, either. he finished a Championship game at the Amex in goal as well.

And you missed:

17/18 - Sets a new Premier League record for most own goals scored in a single season (4) :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here