[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jamal Lescelles
Mason Holgate
Ben Godfrey
Conor Coady
Michael Keane
James Tarkowski
Tyrone Mings
Ezri Konsa
Eric Dier

English Centre backs that over the years I have had fans of on twitter swearing are much better than Lewis Dunk.

Sure there’s more of them.

It would be nice to have a list of centre backs with the number of caps Waistcoat has given them. Leaving Dunk out for some of his choices has been unforgivable.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
It is scary to think how a national team manager could overlook a player of Dunks ability for so long when you think of those that have been used.
The whole dynamic of the England attacks last night were transformed by Dunks incisive passing,I can't remember anyone else playing CB for England doing this,I could be wrong but I simply can't remember, it's not beyond the realms of possibility Southgate picks Maguire next month and if he does play him over Dunk then he's certainly not fit for his job.
Well played Dunky.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I clearly have. And for Newcastle. And for Spurs. And for England.

I think the issue is a lot of English fans haven't seen what Bellingham did for Dortmund.

If you've got a bit longer:

And that's all as a teenager, playing multiple positions, sometimes as captain for one of the biggest teams in Europe.

Gazza's best league goal return was 9. Bellingham got 8 last season and has 5 in 4 games already for Madrid. It's hard to compare players but I'd back JB to have a bigger impact and certainly more longevity.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Great performance from Bellingham and Dunk.
A very unlike Southgate performance in that it was was faster paced with much more one touch passing. If this is how we continue to play then we might actually win something, however bringing Maguire on at half time was just stupid. What was Southgate thinking?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It is scary to think how a national team manager could overlook a player of Dunks ability for so long when you think of those that have been used.
The whole dynamic of the England attacks last night were transformed by Dunks incisive passing,I can't remember anyone else playing CB for England doing this,I could be wrong but I simply can't remember, it's not beyond the realms of possibility Southgate picks Maguire next month and if he does play him over Dunk then he's certainly not fit for his job.
Well played Dunky.
This all day long, it is plain for everyone to see this is the way forward if England want to move to the next level and win something.
The influence on the way Dunk and we play was so clear last night, the way Dunk just put his foot on the ball waiting for Scotland to come at him, looking for the next incisive pass through the middle or down the flanks, he was immense and gave us so much more.

If Southgate does not start him for the next qualifying game, we might as well not bother going to Germany, because he is not willing to embrace new ideas, just stay stuck in a turgid mindset. Let us not kid ourselves Scotland were woeful for 85 minutes though, they may have made us look better than we actually are.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
IMG_4057.jpeg

says it all!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
"He was always regarded as a bit of a bruising centre-back, great at defending his box and not much else."

Lines like that annoy me and you see it a lot. I posted the other day about the misperception many fans had/have of Dunk due to their first being introduced to him in the Hughton years in the PL. But did no one watch him in the Championship? And even when heading, blocking and clearing was his MO alongside Duffy in the top flight, it was plain to see he had the passing ability.
People have probably forgotten he was part of Poyet's team that played possession football, or that Gus gave him his debut up at Milton Keynes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It would be nice to have a list of centre backs with the number of caps Waistcoat has given them. Leaving Dunk out for some of his choices has been unforgivable.
Not sure nice is the word.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Congratulations to Lewis Dunk. Terrific performance and made the step up look effortless.

In terms of Gazza v Bellingham. It's a tough one as we haven't seen anywhere near the peak of Jude Bellingham yet and with Gazza, it's all what might have been.

I'm prepared to say, that if Gazza had no mental health and alcohol demons, had steered clear of injury and had more positive guidance off the field he would had to the better career as he has more skill than Bellingham. But clearly, those things aren't the case and i'm always mindful that we won't see Jude's full talent blossom for another full world cup cycle yet.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think the issue is a lot of English fans haven't seen what Bellingham did for Dortmund.

If you've got a bit longer:

And that's all as a teenager, playing multiple positions, sometimes as captain for one of the biggest teams in Europe.

Gazza's best league goal return was 9. Bellingham got 8 last season and has 5 in 4 games already for Madrid. It's hard to compare players but I'd back JB to have a bigger impact and certainly more longevity.

Judging by his maturity and seemingly being well advised, Bellingham will almost certainly have a much bigger impact and longevity than Gazza. Have to remember however that peak Gazza was literally a 4 week period in the summer of 1990 and he was an absolute joy to watch. And although he had a decent season with Spurs straight after, the distractions of fame and that knee injury meant it was neve replicated over the long-term.

If Bellingham can match the level Gazza reached in 1990 over the course of the next 5 tournaments, then us England fans are in for a treat.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Judging by his maturity and seemingly being well advised, Bellingham will almost certainly have a much bigger impact and longevity than Gazza. Have to remember however that peak Gazza was literally a 4 week period in the summer of 1990 and he was an absolute joy to watch. And although he had a decent season with Spurs straight after, the distractions of fame and that knee injury meant it was neve replicated over the long-term.

If Bellingham can match the level Gazza reached in 1990 over the course of the next 5 tournaments, then us England fans are in for a treat.
Yes, a player to build a team around for a decade!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well played Dunky.
Stones has an excellent range and is forward thinking. We missed Stones as much as Dunk in Poland. Objectively Stones is our best CB but we all know Lewis is the next off the rank.

The two of them together would be perfect and he simply has to try it when both are fit. Maguire should be in the bin now.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I've watched Dunk since the Withdean years and loved him but I'll put my hands up, while tremendous always for us, I thought he wasn't quite up to International standards (re speed, being turned, sometimes bullied). I thought getting one England cap was an amazing achievement for him. After seeing him vs Scotland (ok, an overrated and hyped Scotland currently) I join the gang that is feeling he has actually missed out, England has missed out - he should have had many other caps and maybe with a better footballing CB like him we could have won something already rather than a couple of near misses.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bellingham was deservedly MOM.

But as with the Albion, England have great attacking flair, and the reason we looked good last night and not on Saturday, the key to unlocking it is Lewis Dunk. For the first time ever, England showed glimpses of being Brightonesque

Second name on the England teamsheet from now on. :thumbsup:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So, it appears that the rest of the footballing world now know what Brighton fans have known for the past 3 years- Dunk is the man Englands defense should be built around.

Maguires appearance just proved how superior England are without him. The whole dynamic changed, and at one pointy I swear I saw Dunk having to monitor what Maguire was doing rather than soley concentrate on his own job. There was a point when Maguire was standing in the corner of the box, looking bewildered as the rest of the England team played the game further up the pitch trying to avoid using him

The next matches are in November I believe. We have had a Dunk Masterclass, and a Magure disasterclass. Who will get the nod in the next competitive game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports