[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Jamal Lescelles
Mason Holgate
Ben Godfrey
Conor Coady
Michael Keane
James Tarkowski
Tyrone Mings
Ezri Konsa
Eric Dier

English Centre backs that over the years I have had fans of on twitter swearing are much better than Lewis Dunk.

Sure there’s more of them.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Jamal Lescelles
Mason Holgate
Ben Godfrey
Conor Coady
Michael Keane
James Tarkowski
Tyrone Mings
Ezri Konsa
Eric Dier

English Centre backs that over the years I have had fans of on twitter swearing are much better than Lewis Dunk.

Sure there’s more of them.
Harry Maguire?

None of them are fit to lace Lewis' boots, by the way.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't it about time Jules B stopped Souness's inconsequential ramblings and let someone else get a word in edgeways?
Poor anchorman skills. Channel 4 must do better. Post match was just constant repetition about how good Bellingham is, Dunk's name wasn't mentioned and there was no dissection of why England had improved so much in the space of 3 days. BBC and Neville / Carragher light years ahead in terma of analysis.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Poor anchorman skills. Channel 4 must do better. Post match was just constant repetition about how good Bellingham is, Dunk's name wasn't mentioned and there was no dissection of why England had improved so much in the space of 3 days. BBC and Neville / Carragher light years ahead in terma of analysis.

Already posted. I suspect the manager has seen the light which is why he has been so defensive.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Got plenty of praise during the match and in the moments after the final whistle by the commentary team. His performance has not gone unnoticed.
Except of course by waistcoat man who thought Mings, Michael Keane, and Connor Coady are better players.
Oh and if course Harry Maguire
So we all know what happens next
Dunk stays in the squad (maybe) but doesn’t get another England game. Colwill, Stones, Guehi, Tomori, Mings and Maguire all ahead of him in waistcoat mans pecking order.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Just shows their ignorance really. He’s always been a great passer of the ball, short and long, even under CH.

The Dunk and Duffy partnership has probably done him no favours, and the reason for the completely inaccurate stigma attached to him. Yes he likes a block, mainly because he was forced to do about 15 of them a game under Hughton.

Shameful that this was his second cap. I feel more annoyed than if he had simply not been called up, again. Still, I’m sure Southgate will revert to type.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Already posted. I suspect the manager has seen the light which is why he has been so defensive.

"He was always regarded as a bit of a bruising centre-back, great at defending his box and not much else."

Lines like that annoy me and you see it a lot. I posted the other day about the misperception many fans had/have of Dunk due to their first being introduced to him in the Hughton years in the PL. But did no one watch him in the Championship? And even when heading, blocking and clearing was his MO alongside Duffy in the top flight, it was plain to see he had the passing ability.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
"He was always regarded as a bit of a bruising centre-back, great at defending his box and not much else."

Lines like that annoy me and you see it a lot. I posted the other day about the misperception many fans had/have of Dunk due to their first being introduced to him in the Hughton years in the PL. But did no one watch him in the Championship? And even when heading, blocking and clearing was his MO alongside Duffy in the top flight, it was plain to see he had the passing ability.
Yea, I just basically posted the same.

The sheer inaccuracy of that statement boggles the mind.

Jimmy Grimble

Agree with the above. It’ll be easy for lazy pundits to say RDZ has got Dunk playing that way but the truth is he has always had that passing ability in his locker.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
It’s a real shame all the talk is about Bellingham’s performance with the pundits, otherwise we could be talking about a MOTM performance from Dunk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
So many chips on shoulders this morning, focusing on the wrong part of that Sky Sports piece.

Shouldn't we be focusing on the important take? "He simply can't be dropped after a faultless display in a fiercely competitive environment. This wasn't Gibraltar at home. Opportunity taken. Dunk deserves to keep the shirt."

Last edited:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Yea, I just basically posted the same.

The sheer inaccuracy of that statement boggles the mind.
I don't think it is inaccurate though - he's stating that he was perceived as a blocker by the general public, which is absolutely correct, albeit entirely inaccurate to those who've actually watched more than highlights.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"Maguire became just the second substitute to score an own goal for England, after Eric Dier against Australia in May 2016."

(BBC Sport Match Stats)

Dier Maguire.

Less of a list, more of a general comment.
Those two and Mings keeping Dunk out of the England squad. Farcical.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I thought Dunk was superb, dominant and will improve with a run of games….BUT a better header from McGinn would have made it 2-2 and the outcome could have been very different. Luckily for Dunk McGinn is Scottish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports