[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Ah! The person who has never managed a men’s team, admits that she has little if any knowledge of male fitness and conditioning, has never managed in EPL or any top league in the world, doesn’t know any of the current squad or young players coming through the system, has never worked with the current coaches, etc, etc but has done well in women’s football.

A shoe in!
My issue with Southgate is tactics. He’s uber conservative and that means you have to be very lucky to win things. I’ll take her tactics over Southgate.

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I think Southgate's biggest problem is that he hasn't figured out what he has yet - whilst England have had some world class players over the last 20 years who would definitely be considered in the top 20-25 players in the world (Rooney, Gerrard, Kane, Ferdinand, A. Cole, etc) we now have a truly generational talent in the most important position on the pitch who is still a teenager (Bellingham). Any discussion about the England team should start with playing Bellingham in his best position. Once you grasp this, you realise you are forced to drop Henderson and Maguire.
This in a nutshell.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
To have a closer look at him in a training camp ?

A bit like Alzate going to America , but then being loaned out
I mean it’s not as if dunk doesn’t play week in and week out in the premier league. If he’s still undecided then why call him up?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good. So you'd sack Southgate for losing a major final on penalties in a tournament that you feel he should have won, and replace him with a manager who lost a major final in 90 minutes in a tournament they should have won.
Wow. A tournament we should have won? That would be the same England that entered the tournament having lost half the Euro winning team prior to the tournament and then had to contend with further injuries and suspensions during the competition. Completely disingenuous comment.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ah! The person who has never managed a men’s team, admits that she has little if any knowledge of male fitness and conditioning, has never managed in EPL or any top league in the world, doesn’t know any of the current squad or young players coming through the system, has never worked with the current coaches, etc, etc but has done well in women’s football.

A shoe in!

Well, if the shoo fits...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Southgate is an excellent England MANAGER, and a dull, limited England COACH. He's great at shaking hands, giving bland non-controversial interviews, building solid relationships with clubs, etc.

In kids football, a team will often have a manager and a coach. There will be one Dad (other genders of parent/ guardian are available) who knows a bit about football - probably played to a reasonable level - who takes training, and instructs the players during games. Then another parent who is really keen - a bit of a BEAVER - who 'manages' stuff - books pitches, attends the dull League meetings, sends out all the emails to arrange transport, etc.

Gareth Southgate is ONE of these two blokes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wow. A tournament we should have won? That would be the same England that entered the tournament having lost half the Euro winning team prior to the tournament and then had to contend with further injuries and suspensions during the competition. Completely disingenuous comment.

Sorry that’s ridiculous. Spain had a second string squad because 12 of their squad who had been regulars refused to play for the coach.

Player for player we had a squad who played for top clubs, Spanish players ? Not so much

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
PP offering a very generous (playcard offer) of 10/1 on a Scotland win! Might be worth a nibble.
I'm not a betting man but that seems great value. Its at hampden, they're in great form and I don't think England give as big a shit about it as the Scots probably do. I'd have all three results as being fairly equal so 10-1 seems crazy.

Although I've just seen you've said playcard offer. I have no idea what that is. Does it affect things?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think Southgate's biggest problem is that he hasn't figured out what he has yet - whilst England have had some world class players over the last 20 years who would definitely be considered in the top 20-25 players in the world (Rooney, Gerrard, Kane, Ferdinand, A. Cole, etc) we now have a truly generational talent in the most important position on the pitch who is still a teenager (Bellingham). Any discussion about the England team should start with playing Bellingham in his best position. Once you grasp this, you realise you are forced to drop Henderson and Maguire.

I agree. However, what is Belligham's best position?

He's excelling for Madrid as a no.10 but for Dortmund he often played deeper, as an 8 or even a 6 (CDM). For England, Rice is the obvious 6. We're blessed with many candidates for the 10 role (Maddison, Foden, Grealish, Bellingham), so I'm leaning towards playing Jude as the 8. He could play all 3 roles to a very high standard and I don't buy into the idea that he's wasted further back. Control and quality in the middle of the pitch is what England have often lacked over the years.

As an 8 he wouldn't be restricted anyway with Rice offering cover behind him. Perhaps it would make sense to have a fullback on one side that can tuck into midfield, a la Veltman/Gross, ensuring JB can get forward. Colwill could do that from LB or Stones from RB. Would that be too tactically complicated given the limited time on the training pitch at international level?

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I gave you a directly comparable example with a yes/no answer possibility. I can only assume you don't want to compare the two because it would either expose a contradiction in your opinion or you don't really care about the women.
Why should we compare them?
They've both done well with their respective England squads, and we should credit them for it.
Through Wiegman's managerial masterclass, the women's team won their first major trophies in EUROs 2020 and it was great to watch them at the AMEX!
Whereas Southgate has brought the men's team to their first EUROs final as well as two good cup runs.
Just acknowledge both their successes, instead of forcing a debate as to who is better.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Sorry that’s ridiculous. Spain had a second string squad because 12 of their squad who had been regulars refused to play for the coach.

Player for player we had a squad who played for top clubs, Spanish players ? Not so much
Factually, I don't think you're right there. The Spanish team still boasted a good number from Barcelona, including the best woman player in the world - Aitana Bonmati. The Spanish team was significantly better than England in the final, to the extent that I wondered if Southgate had replaced Wiegman for the game. Especially when the substitutions were made.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Both teams had to overcome adversity to reach the final and both teams should be commended for that. Spain were simply the better side on the day and were worthy champions. Sadly an achievement overshadowed by the ingrained misogyny of the Spanish FA. I would not say that is a reflection on Wiegman's qualities as a manager at all.

Using that result as a stick to beat the critics of Southgate is disingenuous in my opinion.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree. However, what is Belligham's best position?

He's excelling for Madrid as a no.10 but for Dortmund he often played deeper, as an 8 or even a 6 (CDM). For England, Rice is the obvious 6. We're blessed with many candidates for the 10 role (Maddison, Foden, Grealish, Bellingham), so I'm leaning towards playing Jude as the 8. He could play all 3 roles to a very high standard and I don't buy into the idea that he's wasted further back. Control and quality in the middle of the pitch is what England have often lacked over the years.

As an 8 he wouldn't be restricted anyway with Rice offering cover behind him. Perhaps it would make sense to have a fullback on one side that can tuck into midfield, a la Veltman/Gross, ensuring JB can get forward. Colwill could do that from LB or Stones from RB. Would that be too tactically complicated given the limited time on the training pitch at international level?

Something like ……..

----------Ramsdale

--Walker Dunk Colwill Chilwell

------------Rice

Saka Bellingham Foden Grealish

----------- Kane

Would be a very very tidy side. Sure Rice would need some help, but like you say a one goes, one sits policy, with either full back or wingers would work nicely and might help to life the air of apathy currently over the national side

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Something like ……..

----------Ramsdale

--Walker Dunk Colwill Chilwell

------------Rice

Saka Bellingham Foden Grealish

----------- Kane

Would be a very very tidy side. Sure Rice would need some help, but like you say a one goes, one sits policy, with either full back or wingers would work nicely and might help to life the air of apathy currently over the national side

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. When we have the ball, one of the fullbacks pushing on to create an overload down one side. The other tucked in.

In the defensive stage, Bellingham dropping in alongside Rice.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. When we have the ball, one of the fullbacks pushing on to create an overload down one side. The other tucked in.

In the defensive stage, Bellingham dropping in alongside Rice.
I mean, seriously??? Can you imagine Southgate doing anything so obviously creative and attack minded?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports