Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I have just heard him say that we can’t make too many changes for the friendly with Scotland! I despair, honestly. If you can’t try things now when can you? People have accused him of being cautious but this is a whole new level. How on earth does anybody else get experience if you don’t make changes? We are doomed I tells yah.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The discussion is about Southgate not Wiegman.
I gave you a directly comparable example with a yes/no answer possibility. I can only assume you don't want to compare the two because it would either expose a contradiction in your opinion or you don't really care about the women.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Would not hold out hope for Southgate to get the best out of Foden
"He doesn’t [play centrally] for his club,” Southgate countered. “Presumably there is a reason for that."

More than one reason Gareth, none of which are Jordan Henderson.

1694506674196.png

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I gave you a directly comparable example with a yes/no answer possibility. I can only assume you don't want to compare the two because it would either expose a contradiction in your opinion or you don't really care about the women.
I watch women’s football as I do Rugby and Cricket. Gender has nothing to do with it and is a very cheap shot.
But as you brought up Wiegman. I would have her as England’s men’s manager at a drop of a hat. Women’s world and euro football is a lot more competitive than the men’s game at the moment and she has actually won a trophy. She’s tactically astute and gets the best out of her players. She also willing to change things and take risks.

Southgate has effectively said you can’t really take risks in friendlies. Well if you can’t then … when?

Never has an England manager got so little, out of such a good crop of England players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I watch women’s football as I do Rugby and Cricket. Gender has nothing to do with it and is a very cheap shot.
But as you brought up Wiegman. I would have her as England’s men’s manager at a drop of a hat. Women’s world and euro football is a lot more competitive than the men’s game at the moment and she has actually one a trophy. She’s tactica astute and gets the best out of her players. She so willing to change things and take risks.

Southgate has effectively said you can’t really take risks in friendlies. Well if you can’t then … when?

Never has an England manager got so little, out of such a good crop of England players.
Good. So you'd sack Southgate for losing a major final on penalties in a tournament that you feel he should have won, and replace him with a manager who lost a major final in 90 minutes in a tournament they should have won.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Good. So you'd sack Southgate for losing a major final on penalties in a tournament that you feel he should have won, and replace him with a manager who lost a major final in 90 minutes in a tournament they should have won.
you would be replacing a losing manager with one who actually won a tournament. One who is tactically better and more astute.

She made two finals, beating one of the best teams in the world and losing to one of the best up and coming teams in the world.

Southgate blew a final against arguably the worse Italian teams in years.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I know this isn't a constructive comment, but good lord, this thread has become a depressing read. I can't wait for real football to start again this weekend.
as it should because watching England isn’t a pleasant experience at the moment. These games should be moving England on, in the same way RDZ has moved us along, but sadly not. Southgate still thinks it’s 2008 and he’s in Middlesbrough.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I have just heard him say that we can’t make too many changes for the friendly with Scotland! I despair, honestly. If you can’t try things now when can you? People have accused him of being cautious but this is a whole new level. How on earth does anybody else get experience if you don’t make changes? We are doomed I tells yah.

Crazy. If Dunk doesn’t feature at any point against Scotland then I think it’s probably time for him to tell Southgate to stop bothering him. I mean seriously, what is the point of him even being there?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
you would be replacing a losing manager with one who actually won a tournament. One who is tactically better and more astute.

She made two finals, beating one of the best teams in the world and losing to one of the best up and coming teams in the world.

Southgate blew a final against arguably the worse Italian teams in years.

Might as well hire the Greece manager from Euros 2004

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Crazy. If Dunk doesn’t feature at any point against Scotland then I think it’s probably time for him to tell Southgate to stop bothering him. I mean seriously, what is the point of him even being there?

To have a closer look at him in a training camp ?

A bit like Alzate going to America , but then being loaned out

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But as you brought up Wiegman. I would have her as England’s men’s manager at a drop of a hat. Women’s world and euro football is a lot more competitive than the men’s game at the moment and she has actually won a trophy. She’s tactically astute and gets the best out of her players. She also willing to change things and take risks.

Ah! The person who has never managed a men’s team, admits that she has little if any knowledge of male fitness and conditioning, has never managed in EPL or any top league in the world, doesn’t know any of the current squad or young players coming through the system, has never worked with the current coaches, etc, etc but has done well in women’s football.

A shoe in!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I know this isn't a constructive comment, but good lord, this thread has become a depressing read. I can't wait for real football to start again this weekend.
You're not wrong. This is going to f**k with my OCD all day.

1694508685987.png

@Bozza ? BOZZA? BOOOOOZZZZZAAAA!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Might as well hire the Greece manager from Euros 2004
I have to agree with @Deportivo Seagull

You have to possess that "killer instinct" which the successful managers have, I don't see that in Southgate and I doubt he's going to win any trophy.

Do I think Wiegman could replace him? Probably not, since it is completely different between the genders.

I think that Southgate has done well, his next aim should be winning a trophy as he has took us so far, but I don't think he can achieve it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Dunk and Colwill tonight is such an obvious thing to do this evening. We need to be looking at Maguire alternatives - he will barely get on the pitch this season - there is a tried and tested partnership waiting to be blooded and it really doesn't matter if it goes wrong as it is a friendly. On that basis, Harry will play.

Southgate has done a lot right with the culture of England which is a world away from when BFS left but the games against Croatia and Italy (I wouldn't include France in that though) exposed his lack of in game management. In the Italy game, Mancini just pushed 10 yards up the pitch and Croatia lumped it to the big man in extra time (against Kyle Walker at CB) and both times he just stood there with his hands in the waistcoat. Finishing Saturday with Henderson, Rice and Gallagher on the pitch is a case in point that nothing has really moved on in thinking.

DJ Chi

Mar 10, 2023
I think Southgate's biggest problem is that he hasn't figured out what he has yet - whilst England have had some world class players over the last 20 years who would definitely be considered in the top 20-25 players in the world (Rooney, Gerrard, Kane, Ferdinand, A. Cole, etc) we now have a truly generational talent in the most important position on the pitch who is still a teenager (Bellingham). Any discussion about the England team should start with playing Bellingham in his best position. Once you grasp this, you realise you are forced to drop Henderson and Maguire.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Dunk and Colwill tonight is such an obvious thing to do this evening. We need to be looking at Maguire alternatives - he will barely get on the pitch this season - there is a tried and tested partnership waiting to be blooded and it really doesn't matter if it goes wrong as it is a friendly. On that basis, Harry will play.

Southgate has done a lot right with the culture of England which is a world away from when BFS left but the games against Croatia and Italy (I wouldn't include France in that though) exposed his lack of in game management. In the Italy game, Mancini just pushed 10 yards up the pitch and Croatia lumped it to the big man in extra time (against Kyle Walker at CB) and both times he just stood there with his hands in the waistcoat. Finishing Saturday with Henderson, Rice and Gallagher on the pitch is a case in point that nothing has really moved on in thinking.
Absolutely this. For him to say now is not the time to experiment is almost laughable beyond belief. As you say, there is a tried and tested CB partnership available to him, but I’d put my house on it not being tried.

If a manager is not going to try something different in a friendly match, then when the hell is he going to try?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here