[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The international break brings out the worst in many of us it seems (including me). Can't wait for the Albion to get back in action.
That's because it is a pointless and hopeless experience these days.

Maybe it's just that international football is no longer important. There are no great international teams anymore, the ones that win are functionable, the rest shit. The last World Cup was so dull. These tournaments used to mean so much.

I don't think it's just the UK, its global. Its only club football that matters anymore.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
How does poor squad selection equate to poor coaching ability (my question to you)?

I disagree with his squad selections, but his sin is logical - trust those you know best.

None of this has to do with how he coaches.

As for Potter, as others have said, a club manager sees his players every day and schools them accordingly. For an England manager to 'coach' it has to be a very simple mantra that can be picked up again in brief intense periods punctuated by long absences.

Southgate has show that by and large he can instill a simple, easily recapitulated rubric. And to do this he will of course reach for players well versed in it. Any coach trying something different is on a hiding to nothing, with little chance of any consistency, especially if he always selects based on club form.

Taking all that into account I see no evidence whatsoever that Potter would do a better job.
You are right, it doesn't. I understand the points that you are making.

Potter was only a suggestion, as he has had experience in the Premier League and succeeded with Brighton, but you have caused me to realise that you cannot replicate that style of football in such a short period of time, and perhaps the simplest instructions are needed.

That has really changed my mind about it, and I have started to acknowledge these ideas, but there is still a problem of squad selection (which we all realise) and, my major issue, the style of football we play (there is no creativity or ambition) which is completely boring, and I simply can't watch it for 90 minutes - however I do realise this is not the case for others, and is more of a personal choice.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So basically no one really has any viable candidates who are proven serial winners to replace Southgate?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Wow that's long. One hell of a defense for a clearly inept manager too.

If you work at the FA I guess I'm just going to have to enjoy laughing at England continuing to fail. I've come round to finding it particularly funny and really quite enjoyable.
Yeah, far longer than I imagined! Especially as it's essentially different ways of saying the same thing.

As for laughing at England failing, that's the nub of it isn't it?

You like England failing and so will use any stick you can to beat as much enjoyment out of it. And that @Neville's Breakfast is what I'm talking about.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Maybe it's just that international football is no longer important. There are no great international teams anymore, the ones that win are functionable, the rest shit. The last World Cup was so dull. These tournaments used to mean so much.

I don't think it's just the UK, it’s global. It’s only club football that matters anymore.

I don't think it's just the UK, its global. Its only club football that matters anymore.
Maybe it’s more about us.

Languishing in the lower regions of the EFL we had little exposure, interest, access (call it what you like) to the stars in the top leagues and international set up. None of our players were anywhere remotely near the international arena (unless we had a Cypriot in the squad- Alexi Nicolas?) so we carried on watching mark morris, Derek Allen, Ross Johnson, etc and just accepted that the England players were far superior players but the Albion was our team and we would support them to the end, regardless of ability.

Watching England was a nice break from our battles just to survive.

Many of us now consider ourselves to be “more knowledgeable” because we regularly watch Dunk, Mitoma, Gross, etc plus other hyped up world superstars every two weeks. But are we? We watch and comment through whichever lens suits us and in this case we are watching from a pro Albion (Dunk) anti Palace (Southgate) lens.

Clearly the FA has other ideas.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
So basically no one really has any viable candidates who are proven serial winners to replace Southgate?
Probably not re proven winners, plenty with better tactical nouse though. Southgate was a failed club manager, so the bar is pretty low for a better choice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Probably not re proven winners, plenty with better tactical nouse though. Southgate was a failed club manager, so the bar is pretty low for a better choice.

But tactical ‘nous’ still doesn’t mean much does it, or prove you can always win games ‘you should win’

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Southgate has gone very deep into competitions argument is the one thing you cannot argue with, congratulations Gareth.

Gold Medal Good Job GIF by StickerGiant

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
...that would take the job.

Still nothing is a sure thing. Look at Pep in the champions league and how many attempts that took, with some terrible tactical decisions in knockout games along the way.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Second Ronay piece since the Ukraine game.

The fact is England do have other options in Maguire’s position. Stones is a world-class footballer and a sure thing if he’s fit. Guéhi played well in Poland and has great junior England pedigree. Lewis Dunk is an excellent defender in a tactically cutting-edge Premier League team.

How bad could it be? Would anyone really begrudge the odd missed header in return for a much-needed surge in energy, mobility, passing skills, and the referred positives through the rest of the team?

Southgate was ruthless in cutting away the good old boys at the start of his time in charge. He has been impressively bold in giving young players a chance. For all the fond memories, the loyalties repaid, the cosy tournament moments, it is surely time once again to wield that scythe.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Walker quoted this morning as saying “Me and Gareth have a good relationship off the field.”
England managers should have No relationship with players off the field. No wonder it’s the same of lot getting caps.
Wow. There's some debatable, subjective stuff on this thread, And then there's this,

Firstly Walker is the best of four World Class right backs. One of the quickest players in the world, right back for a team that did the treble last season and scorer of our equaliser on Saturday. He's hardly being picked because he's Southgate's mate.

Secondly all coaches, club or national need to have a working relationship with their players, and with some players it goes much deeper than others. Look at De Zerbi last season greeting Soloman and Mudryk when we came up against them, and them reciprocating. Do you think Adam Lallana would say he had a bad relationship with De Zerbi? It's not going to be with all 30/35 possible picks but key players absolutely need it and Walker is a key player, unless you think he shouldn't be starting?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't need proven serial winners. Just need some one who doesn't get sacked from Middlesborough, not a FA puppet, doesn't fail at every tournament and doesn't reward players who don't play for their clubs
Every England manager since Ramsay has failed at every tournament. Name me the one who won't.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wow. There's some debatable, subjective stuff on this thread, And then there's this,

Firstly Walker is the best of four World Class right backs. One of the quickest players in the world, right back for a team that did the treble last season and scorer of our equaliser on Saturday. He's hardly being picked because he's Southgate's mate.

Secondly all coaches, club or national need to have a working relationship with their players, and with some players it goes much deeper than others. Look at De Zerbi last season greeting Soloman and Mudryk when we came up against them, and them reciprocating. Do you think Adam Lallana would say he had a bad relationship with De Zerbi? It's not going to be with all 30/35 possible picks but key players absolutely need it and Walker is a key player, unless you think he shouldn't be starting?

We need to get someone Capello back who had no relationship with players because that worked so well

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bellingham would have got in, and possibly Kane for Giroud and Kyle walker at RB, but that's it. There was no doubt that man-for-man they had a better team than us that night.
Italy as definitely the more frustrating one.

We played well against France and I would argue actually quite bravely - we took the game to them. We were simply beaten by the better side.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s quite funny really as you can compare Englands ‘big failures’ with our own last season right ?

Italy = Charlton in the league cup
France = Man Utd in the FA cup

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports