[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Southgate's record is second only to Sir Alf Ramsey's. That's fact.

People's arguments against him would be much better served if they acknowledged and accepted that. They would be even better served if they didn't try and beat him with the we should be winning trophies with the squad he has and he's only beaten weak teams, he loses to every good team he plays.

Guess what? We never win trophies and we've failed miserably with better players, better teams and better squads. And beating weak teams and losing to better ones is also what we've done for as long as I can remember. Apart from 2006 - 2016 where we couldn't even beat the shit teams.

Yes, southgate has his failings - strange squad selections, conservative team selections, tactically limited - and yes, if he was more tactically astute and brave he might have achieved more than he has but what he has achieved is something that no one else other than Ramsey has so he's doing something right.

Admit that, acknowledge it and then talk about his failings and what he could do better. Or, alternatively, just talk embarrassing bollocks.
Everything I’ve being trying to say over about ten posts but in one succinct and accurate missive. Thank you :bowdown:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

People's arguments against him would be much better served if they acknowledged and accepted that. They would be even better served if they didn't try and beat him with the we should be winning trophies with the squad he has and he's only beaten weak teams, he loses to every good team he plays.

Guess what? We never win trophies and we've failed miserably with better players, better teams and better squads. And beating weak teams and losing to better ones is also what we've done for as long as I can remember. Apart from 2006 - 2016 where we couldn't even beat the shit teams.

Yes, southgate has his failings - strange squad selections, conservative team selections, tactically limited - and yes, if he was more tactically astute and brave he might have achieved more than he has but what he has achieved is something that no one else other than Ramsey has so he's doing something right.

Admit that, acknowledge it and then talk about his failings and what he could do better. Or, alternatively, just talk embarrassing bollocks.
Wise words

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

I have read every post on this thread and have to say that the vast majority of people posting, whichever side they are, on really do want the best for their country but they are looking at different ways of doing it. I find it incredibly laudable that some are so committed and fervent in their support for the team but i also completely understand why some see it differently and are focused on another track.
I get what you are saying about Southgate and that it is definitely not all bad and his opponents need to recognise that, but surely those same fervent supporters should be concerned that quite a lot of others are completely losing faith in him and his methods and style of play. Even to the extent of not only not watching our national team play but also some even hoping we lose matches! They are not saying that because they hate England but because they truly see that as the only way to get rid of GS.
I am satisfied that reading your whole post you at least see why GS has his doubters but to my way of thinking when it has reached the stage when some football fans cannot bring themselves to watch competitive qualifying matches then surely that must be it for him.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Yes, southgate has his failings - strange squad selections, conservative team selections, tactically limited - and yes, if he was more tactically astute and brave he might have achieved more than he has...
...and, because of this, he has to leave - Southgate OUT!

He can manage the German national team as that is now available ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cjd

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Makes me think what Pep or RDZ could do with this England squad. Sadly, that will not happen any time soon. Maybe Pep might be tempted 20 years from now as he nears retirement.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I’m not defending Southgate as a tactical genius. He isn’t. I’m making a factual point that we were a penalty kick away from a trophy and beaten by a side with far better players in our last two tournaments.
Fair enough. But this is not an achievement, its something to be critical off IMO.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Felt so sorry for Lewis last night, yes Ok so he has won his vaunted 2nd cap and some would say that is the most important thing, but l wonder how he felt when the likes of a Manchester United reserve, and, surprise surpise, a Palarce centre back got into the team ahead of him.

I hope he found the padding on the bench comfortable, because there was no way he was going to be called into action.
He hasn't won his second cap.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
There’s another game mid week. He’ll probably feature in that.

He was never going to start last night. This was arguably our 2nd toughest qualifier, so probably not the time to throw a new player into the mix. Maguire, for all his shitness for Man U, has rarely let England down.

Attachments

• 20230910_192135.jpg
    20230910_192135.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230910_155522.jpg
    20230910_155522.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 47

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

All merited, except when you consider that If I had taken the reigns with the options available over the last decade, I could have done a better job picking players out of a hat. The Italy game was and is still unforgivable, sitting back against a paraplegic defence and losing in the manner we did. Watch it back if you ever want an unedifying experience of why Southgate was and is still patently out of his depth. It's worse on a second viewing believe me, as I have done it.

England have done well despite the man, not because of him. As ever, I hope to be proved wrong in yet another tournament (if we get there).

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
You’ve just described every England campaign since 1966.

No, I don’t think we have a right to win because “land of hope and glory”.

Southgate got further than Robson and Venables.
What has wanting to win got anything to do with ‘Land of hope and glory’? My issue is that he has had some of the best chances to win a trophy since ‘66 and has blown it Big time. The national teams when both of 5hose above were England managers were much, much stronger than now.
southgate has arguably the better players against much poorer opposition and screwed it up. End of.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

you’ve basically said that he hasn’t won anything because of his ‘ strange squad selections, being tactically limited and not being brave enough’. Damming praise indeed.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

You’ve missed the point. Many people are simply expressing the view that they don’t like his team selections nor his style of play. You are choosing to address (aggressively) only those handful of people talking about his results.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I’m not defending Southgate as a tactical genius. He isn’t. I’m making a factual point that we were (a penalty kick away from a trophy and) beaten by a side with far better players in our last two tournaments.
That isn't a factual point. That is a personal opinion.
I think that our selection of players is about the same quality as Italy's and France's squad, if not slightly better than the former nation.
Also, I find it interesting that you've left out Southgate's other managerial involvement in a major tournament, when we lost to Croatia in the 2018 World Cup - did they have far better players?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think that our selection of players is about the same quality as Italy's and France's squad, if not slightly better than the former nation.
Also, I find it interesting that you've left out Southgate's other managerial involvement in a major tournament, when we lost to Croatia in the 2018 World Cup - did they have far better players?
There’s lies, there’s damned lies and there’s statistics !
The internet is full of people assertively claiming opinion as fact.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Southgate is like a peeling bit of wallpaper,the FA know it's there but instead of getting rid of it and changing the whole room they just keep looking at it wishing it would just go away.

This gif sums up how I view the difference between Dunk and Maguire,Southgate is possibly the only bloke left on the planet that prefers the Harry the brown dog approach.

puppy fail GIF

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Which England players start in this team and who do they replace? And France were world ranked ahead of us - that’s a fact.

B5081B61-6BE2-43A5-BEE9-6F7DDAD898F6.jpeg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You’ve missed the point. Many people are simply expressing the view that they don’t like his team selections nor his style of play. You are choosing to address (aggressively) only those handful of people talking about his results.
You can’t half tell you’re a teacher sometimes. Are you this precious with everyone or just on the internet?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Which England players start in this team and who do they replace? And France were world ranked ahead of us - that’s a fact.

View attachment 166270
Bellingham would have got in, and possibly Kane for Giroud and Kyle walker at RB, but that's it. There was no doubt that man-for-man they had a better team than us that night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports