[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
His qualifying and major tournament results are better than any of his predecessors going back to Alf Ramsay.

I feel like I want to scream every time I read this sort of thing. The squad he has at his disposal are some of the most talented players in the world. He should be WINNING TROPHIES with this team.

I refuse to accept he's done a good job, because his tactical ability has been exposed every time we've come up against equals. International football is a piece of piss in qualifying and in the group stages. When it really matters we play horrible, slow, defensive football and we fail.

Potter would win things. I'm convinced of it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There’s another game mid week. He’ll probably feature in that.

He was never going to start last night. This was arguably our 2nd toughest qualifier, so probably not the time to throw a new player into the mix. Maguire, for all his shitness for Man U, has rarely let England down.
That may be true, but he was far more likely to let England down playing in the 2nd toughest qualifying game, surely.
And let's be honest he did.
Marking his centre back partner for their goal and picking up a yellow for a pointless lunge at their keeper.
Lack of game time and confidence was fully on display.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The worry for the Albion is that Dunk gets minutes against Scotland, f*cks up for the winning goal and it affects his confidence. I feel sure he will start because either he'll do well and Southgate will look like a tactical genius or he'll do badly and Southgate will say "Now do you see why I pick Maguire?"

But either way I don't see Dunk getting many more caps under Southgate. Stones and James will be back, Colwill is above him in the pecking order too.

As for the football De Zerbi ball is not something that this England squad are capable of playing. It takes hours and hours on the training pitch to reach the required level of understanding, and many of the players don't have the football intelligence of the likes of Gross and March.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hopefully it will be an opportunity for Lewis to talk to the idiot and suss out if it‘s worth his while hanging around for a second cap. He could be having a few days off instead of playing Southgateball in training, though I suspect the faint chance of getting some game time is worth his while.
I don’t think they will have that conversation. There are times when players that coaches are reluctant to play still step in because of injury or suspension. Dunk would be daft to pass up that faint possibility and doesn’t come across as a diva.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don’t think they will have that conversation. There are times when players that coaches are reluctant to play still step in because of injury or suspension. Dunk would be daft to pass up that faint possibility and doesn’t come across as a diva.
Yes l agree, l don't think that Lewis is the sort to throw his toys out of the pram. Plus of course Southgate won't be manager forever, although whether Lewis will still warrant a place in the squad when A.N.Other takes over, is another matter.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Dunk's inclusion is nothing more than an emergency sticking plaster. Let us not forget that not only has Tyrone Mings got a shitload of caps under Southgate but the likes of Michael Keane and Conor Coady have also reached double figures too. Credit to Lewis for answering the call after 6 years of insult.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I feel like I want to scream every time I read this sort of thing. The squad he has at his disposal are some of the most talented players in the world. He should be WINNING TROPHIES with this team.

I refuse to accept he's done a good job, because his tactical ability has been exposed every time we've come up against equals. International football is a piece of piss in qualifying and in the group stages. When it really matters we play horrible, slow, defensive football and we fail.

In the Euros we were penalty kicks away from winning a trophy.

As for the World Cup below is the French team that beat us. Of our players Kane and Rice get in it. Maybe Walker. Bellingham v Dembele is a coin toss.

We have a lot of good players but not many great ones. Too many of our good players also play in the same positions I.e. right back or attacking midfielder.

D27A6053-88D7-455B-8B6A-A50CF3264BF5.jpeg

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

As for the World Cup below is the French team that beat us. Of our players Kane and Rice get in it. Maybe Walker. Bellingham v Dembele is a coin toss.

We have a lot of good players but not many great ones. Too many of our good players also play in the same positions I.e. right back or attacking midfielder.

View attachment 166243
Should have won in 90 mins as we were ahead and just tried to defend a 1-0 which was a bit of a bottle job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Should have won in 90 mins as we were ahead and just tried to defend a 1-0 which was a bit of a bottle job.
I’m not defending Southgate as a tactical genius. He isn’t. I’m making a factual point that we were a penalty kick away from a trophy and beaten by a side with far better players in our last two tournaments.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

To be fair to Southgate, it’s virtually impossible to do for England because of the historical pressure of being abysmal at penalty shoot-outs. It will take generations, perhaps centuries to overcome the ‘fear’ that strikes every England player when they step up to the spot. We’ve seen this terrified response for decades now.

To win a tournament, England need to avoid penalty shoot outs. Perhaps take a leaf out of De Zerbi’s book. He is perhaps the bravest manager in the world and does not do draws.

But, would a manager using De Zerbi or Potter tactics have enough time with the players to drill them into the sort of complex and instinctive tactics teams like us and Citeh employ? Almost certainly not.

International football is dead to me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Potter hasn’t won anything apart from promotion in the Swedish pub league with plenty of money thrown at his squad. The guy was massively overrated by many on here.

If football management is genuinely his passion he should get hold of a championship club and win promotion he needs to feel what it’s like to win something in a stronger league than what was on offer in Sweden.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The worry for the Albion is that Dunk gets minutes against Scotland, f*cks up for the winning goal and it affects his confidence. I feel sure he will start because either he'll do well and Southgate will look like a tactical genius or he'll do badly and Southgate will say "Now do you see why I pick Maguire?"

But either way I don't see Dunk getting many more caps under Southgate. Stones and James will be back, Colwill is above him in the pecking order too.

As for the football De Zerbi ball is not something that this England squad are capable of playing. It takes hours and hours on the training pitch to reach the required level of understanding, and many of the players don't have the football intelligence of the likes of Gross and March.

View attachment 166243
Lost to an OAP Italy side who failed to qualify for the World Cup after and are struggling to qualify for this one and we played at home

We were on top for 30 minutes and he sat on his hands as we drop further and further back, then he subbed off Rice who was the only one breaking forward.

The Euros was pretty much fixed for us to win

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Potter hasn’t won anything apart from promotion in the Swedish pub league with plenty of money thrown at his squad. The guy was massively overrated by many on here.

If football management is genuinely his passion he should get hold of a championship club and win promotion he needs to feel what it’s like to win something in a stronger league than what was on offer in Sweden.
Just because he hasn't won anything doesn't mean he's a bad coach, Brighton haven't won any trophies recently but we aren't a sh*t squad are we?

Honestly, I'll like to see someone else in the coaching role. I enjoyed the football under him at Brighton, and hope he could replicate the same with England, of course he struggled at Chelsea but what other options are there? I just want to enjoy watching England play FFS because right now, it isn't doing it for me.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Lost to an OAP Italy side who failed to qualify for the World Cup after and are struggling to qualify for this one and we played at home

We were on top for 30 minutes and he sat on his hands as we drop further and further back, then he subbed off Rice who was the only one breaking forward.

The Euros was pretty much fixed for us to win
That French team were bang average, so were Argentina. The overall standard of sides in both the last Euro's and World Cup was not particularly good in my opinion (and I've avidly watched every tournament since 1974).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In Bellingham, Rice and Foden, we have a genuinely elite midfield but Southgate plays Hendo. I despair.

And, surely, if you're going to play Henderson, it's as part of double pivot with Rice, allowing Jude to play higher up the pitch. But a flat-looking midfield with Bellingham pushed out on the left is just madness. Maddison on the wing too :cry:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Just because he hasn't won anything doesn't mean he's a bad coach, Brighton haven't won any trophies recently but we aren't a sh*t squad are we?

Honestly, I'll like to see someone else in the coaching role. I enjoyed the football under him at Brighton, and hope he could replicate the same with England, of course he struggled at Chelsea but what other options are there? I just want to enjoy watching England play FFS because right now, it isn't doing it for me.
Potter was crap for long periods the season before he left we didn’t win a game for half a season, that simply won’t wash at international level. Chelsea went through the same misery not that I’m upset about that 🤣

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Southgate's record is second only to Sir Alf Ramsey's. That's fact.

People's arguments against him would be much better served if they acknowledged and accepted that. They would be even better served if they didn't try and beat him with the we should be winning trophies with the squad he has and he's only beaten weak teams, he loses to every good team he plays.

Guess what? We never win trophies and we've failed miserably with better players, better teams and better squads. And beating weak teams and losing to better ones is also what we've done for as long as I can remember. Apart from 2006 - 2016 where we couldn't even beat the shit teams.

Yes, southgate has his failings - strange squad selections, conservative team selections, tactically limited - and yes, if he was more tactically astute and brave he might have achieved more than he has but what he has achieved is something that no one else other than Ramsey has so he's doing something right.

Admit that, acknowledge it and then talk about his failings and what he could do better. Or, alternatively, just talk embarrassing bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports