Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pep is contracted until 2025, no chance he leaves early - or without Man City presumably being paid a decent compensation.
I totally agree - but the FA will want to be able to evidence that they “tried”.

Here’s a wild card - Mourinho. Getting a bit older, good at tournament/one off matches.

Not saying I’d want him but I could see it kinda suiting. But then not sure if it fits personality wise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No International manager gets the time to ‘coach’ their elite players. What they need is a coach who’ll play to their side’s strengths and, if their strength is great attacking players, provide a platform for the side to do just that. Potter would have Rice in the Biss holding role (no double f***ing pivots) and then have some of the best English attacking players in a generation go and create chance after chance. The difference between England and his Albion would be forwards who can take a chance. Wouldn’t be many clean sheets (maybe wet ones), but we’d score a hatful.
It took us two years to understand Potterball and even then we missed way more chances than we scored

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I totally agree - but the FA will want to be able to evidence that they “tried”.

Here’s a wild card - Mourinho. Getting a bit older, good at tournament/one off matches.

Not saying I’d want him but I could see it kinda suiting. But then not sure if it fits personality wise.
I’m not sure appointing Mourinho would address people’s concerns over Southgate.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Felt so sorry for Lewis last night, yes Ok so he has won his vaunted 2nd cap and some would say that is the most important thing, but l wonder how he felt when the likes of a Manchester United reserve, and, surprise surpise, a Palarce centre back got into the team ahead of him.

I hope he found the padding on the bench comfortable, because there was no way he was going to be called into action.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What an utter waste of Lewis's time

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Felt so sorry for Lewis last night, yes Ok so he has won his vaunted 2nd cap and some would say that is the most important thing, but l wonder how he felt when the likes of a Manchester United reserve, and, surprise surpise, a Palarce centre back got into the team ahead of him.

I hope he found the padding on the bench comfortable, because there was no way he was going to be called into action.
No cap for sitting on the bench.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

But he hasn’t won a 2nd cap has he? Don’t you have to get on the pitch to get a cap?

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I don’t think national team management would play to Potter’s strengths at all. He needs day-in-day-out contact with players and a bit of time and patience for his methods to produce results. He wouldn’t get either with a national team, and certainly not the latter from the English fans and press!
I understand your point, but if we really want to progress then something ought to change.
I like Gareth Southgate, he has done well and brought the team to higher levels, but we need someone who can bring us another step further - winning a trophy.
It is great to beat the countries who are ranked below you but I would like to see an experimental manager who can tactically outclass the better squads, just like De Zerbi and his brand of football, it is time to turn this England squad into legends!

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Dunk was never going to start yesterdays game.The rail toothed palace wanker is always going to stick with McGuire , he virtually said as much when making his excuses for picking a player with no game time. The game against the jocks will be the one where he gets some minutes on the pitch……. From the 85th to the 90th knowing Southgate

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Southgate’s biggest achievement has been turning an absolutely depressingly shit side into a more competent but wholly mediocre one. Tactically the team needs progression and evolution, but unfortunately I have zero confidence that the FA have thought about Southgate’s succession carefully.

Potter will probably end up being the next manager because he is the obvious choice. I can write the script of how that will go already. It’s boring, it’s predictable and worst of all its safe.
It would be better under Potter though, much better. I'd start wanting to see them win rather than hoping for losses so that Southgate pisses off

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep. Fact. Well, d’uh.

Teams that are made up of the best of all internationals are better than a team made up of people born here SHOCKER. And every top 8 coach is better than Southgate and will be better than the next England coach and the one after that. Even POOTER who would give them a whole three days to learn a rotating 3-2-2-2-1 formation with Sterling as some kind of inverted centre back, and all the words to Bizet’s Aria of Michela.

:moo:
And yet people expect more.

:shrug:

It is what it is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Get this RSZ guy in, then. Is he one of these Sidemen I keep hearing about?
I have now corrected my typographical error. Too many caipirinhas. I thank you.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I didn't realise that, in which case it's even a bigger waste of time than l thought then.
There’s another game mid week. He’ll probably feature in that.

He was never going to start last night. This was arguably our 2nd toughest qualifier, so probably not the time to throw a new player into the mix. Maguire, for all his shitness for Man U, has rarely let England down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It took us two years to understand Potterball and even then we missed way more chances than we scored.

..................because we didn't have the players to put away those chances! England would be a different case.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Hopefully it will be an opportunity for Lewis to talk to the idiot and suss out if it‘s worth his while hanging around for a second cap. He could be having a few days off instead of playing Southgateball in training, though I suspect the faint chance of getting some game time is worth his while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here