[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I want to defend Southgate for the reasons many on here are. His results have been (relatively) good and he’s clearly good at the emotional side of it. But there’s no doubt he’s tactically limited. A better tactical manager might have beaten both Croatia and Italy. Foden must start, and Henderson should be nowhere near the starting eleven.

Southgate would be a very good person to have around, just nowhere near the footballing side of things

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Southgate isn't as good as RSZ, and England are not as good as any of the EPL top 8. That includes us. Fact.
Yep. Fact. Well, d’uh.

Teams that are made up of the best of all internationals are better than a team made up of people born here SHOCKER. And every top 8 coach is better than Southgate and will be better than the next England coach and the one after that. Even POOTER who would give them a whole three days to learn a rotating 3-2-2-2-1 formation with Sterling as some kind of inverted centre back, and all the words to Bizet’s Aria of Michela.

:moo:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Which ones? Brazil and Spain have always played a certain way (Spain are actually more boring to watch than us), Italy are so all over the place that they didn’t qualify for the tournament after the one they won and France have played the same way for decades and have a way better group of players than us.

That’s not to say Southgate is a particularly innovative coach. He obviously isn’t. It’s all safety first quite clearly and I’ve said that on here before. But it gets results. His qualifying and major tournament results are better than any of his predecessors going back to Alf Ramsay. Given our world ranking is normally outside the top four that’s about right.

That doesn’t mean he’s beyond criticism. Selecting Henderson yesterday was mental and while Maguire knows the system he was poor too. Pickford is awful with his feet. I just see it as a bit more balanced than most of NSC. I see a coach who got us to a final, not a bloke in a Palace shirt.
I agree with you. Southgate’s results in qualifying and major tournaments speak for themselves. Those of us old enough get very nostalgic about the Robson 1990 and Venables 96 teams, but when you look at the teams we actually beat in those tournaments, the outcome of 2 semi finals doesn’t look as impressive.

Southgate isn’t perfect, but I certainly prefer his principles of trying to play the best team as opposed to just picking the best 11 English players available. 6 years of SGE trying to shoehorn Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes into the same 11 was very frustrating.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He should've walked after that game, and most would have given him credit for the achievement etc and he might have even got a PL job eventually.

We have regressed so much in the following two years, it's actually painful to watch. We are at risk of losing another 'golden generation' of talent with nothing to show for it, and it's all down to his godawful tactics. I wouldn't even say the cohesiveness that he initially brought into the team is still there anymore- most of our players look like they despise playing for England again, and those performing well for their clubs put in absolute stinkers tonight (Saka, Bellingham and Rice for example. Rashford was also appalling when he came on but not sure he really counts as 'in-form').

He offers absolutely nothing anymore. Slow, dull, caveman football with no identity or strategy. If he had any decency he would just step aside.
If Big Sam was still the manager and England played like they did yesterday then those currently defending Southgate would be on the opposite side of the debate. * Yes, Southgate seems like a nice bloke but that doesn’t make him a progressive football manager.

*clearly Southgate fans are a dwindling band outside of his mates in the media and the FA who are still very risk averse.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You’ve just described every England campaign since 1966.

No, I don’t think we have a right to win because “land of hope and glory”.

Southgate got further than Robson and Venables.
You are opposing something that doesn’t exist. Where are you seeing this ‘entitlement from land of hope and glory.’ You are the only one that has mentioned it. People are just saying they don’t enjoy watching England under this manager and they would LIKE a different one.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My group are out in Poland and talk of a lot of fans being fed up in the stands. Could be an interesting atmosphere on Tuesday. Although given the tiny allocation the sweaty socks gave us I doubt it’ll be heard.

If Southgate goes, who gets the job ? I’m struggling for candidates

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Give it to Potter. f***ing hell, we all know that we played some great football under GPott but could not put the ball in the net. The best striker in world football is at the sharp end of England. I’m sure Potter has learnt a lot since taking Boehly’s shilling.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
England are dull to watch. We have a ridiculous amount of talent and we are nowhere near maximising it. Southgate is a lovely bloke, he successfully de toxified the England team but he is past his sell by now. Too much loyalty to average players, a side that plays at the speed of a slow motion action replay and with his attitude to Qatar and Henderson Gareth is now stepping down from that moral high ground he once proudly occupied. Thanks for all you have done Gareth, but your time is up.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Give it to Potter. f***ing hell, we all know that we played some great football under GPott but could not put the ball in the net. The best striker in world football is at the sharp end of England. I’m sure Potter has learnt a lot since taking Boehly’s shilling.
Not the worst call

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think full strength England side would get in the top 4.
I think you’re probably right if they had the same preparation. Having a full pre-season schedule and training with the same squad 5-6 days a week is always going make it easier to create some sort of synergy than the situation National managers have of 2-3 days worth of training sporadically throughout the year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you’re probably right if they had the same preparation. Having a full pre-season schedule and training with the same squad 5-6 days a week is always going make it easier to create some sort of synergy than the situation National managers have of 2-3 days worth of training sporadically throughout the year.
I’d love GP to get the job just to see how @Guinness Boy mojo would rise or fall as an England fan :lolol:

I’d also be interested to see if I could get mine back and if any Albion players would feature. I think Dunk was pretty cold towards him when we played Chelsea wasn’t he?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You are opposing something that doesn’t exist. Where are you seeing this ‘entitlement from land of hope and glory.’ You are the only one that has mentioned it. People are just saying they don’t enjoy watching England under this manager and they would LIKE a different one.
Nah, definite vibe of should be beating “teams like”.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’d love GP to get the job just to see how @Guinness Boy mojo would rise or fall as an England fan :lolol:

I’d also be interested to see if I could get mine back and if any Albion players would feature. I think Dunk was pretty cold towards him when we played Chelsea wasn’t he?
I don’t think national team management would play to Potter’s strengths at all. He needs day-in-day-out contact with players and a bit of time and patience for his methods to produce results. He wouldn’t get either with a national team, and certainly not the latter from the English fans and press!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I reckon the FA will chase Pep for a few months, then give up and give it to Graham Potter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I reckon the FA will chase Pep for a few months, then give up and give it to Graham Potter.

Pep is contracted until 2025, no chance he leaves early - or without Man City presumably being paid a decent compensation.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I don’t think national team management would play to Potter’s strengths at all. He needs day-in-day-out contact with players and a bit of time and patience for his methods to produce results. He wouldn’t get either with a national team, and certainly not the latter from the English fans and press!
No International manager gets the time to ‘coach’ their elite players. What they need is a coach who’ll play to their side’s strengths and, if their strength is great attacking players, provide a platform for the side to do just that. Potter would have Rice in the Biss holding role (no double f***ing pivots) and then have some of the best English attacking players in a generation go and create chance after chance. The difference between England and his Albion would be forwards who can take a chance. Wouldn’t be many clean sheets (maybe wet ones), but we’d score a hatful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports