Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Been working all day and only just got back. Haven’t read the entire thread so apologies if this has been said dozens of times already.

I wonder what Dunk makes of The Waistcoat Guy after being brought up on a diet of RDZ.

Seriously.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
It reminds me of Chris Hughton and how after his great achievements with Brighton, he was sacked for a more progressive style of play under Graham Potter, which was very controversial at the time - however we are now reaping the rewards under Robert De Zerbi.

It feels like progression is needed for England under a different manager like Graham Potter, albeit debatable, but these sacrifices must be made if we really want to reach the top with an amazing squad IMO.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Been working all day and only just got back. Haven’t read the entire thread so apologies if this has been said dozens of times already.

I wonder what Dunk makes of The Waistcoat Guy after being brought up on a diet of RDZ.

Seriously.
It’s a good question but it’s not comparing apples and apples. RDZ gets every day with us. Southgate gets 10 days every 2-3 months

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Potter will not make a good national coach. He thrives on bringing through and developing youth. If he was good with developed world class talent he would have succeeded at Chelsea and we know how that went. Also his tactical style takes a lot of drilling of players which isn't possible with the limited time afforded to a national manager.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Potter will not make a good national coach. He thrives on bringing through and developing youth. If he was good with developed world class talent he would have succeeded at Chelsea and we know how that went. Also his tactical style takes a lot of drilling of players which isn't possible with the limited time afforded to a national manager.
To be fair, he wasn't given much of a chance at that toxic club. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had he stayed on for the rest of the season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
so you are happy being the perennial plucky loser because that is what you with Southgate.
You’ve just described every England campaign since 1966.

No, I don’t think we have a right to win because “land of hope and glory”.

Southgate got further than Robson and Venables.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When a team defends resolutely we have no real answer, despite a plethora of exciting talent

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We weren't really good in the last one. 2 good group wins against dismal opposition in Iran and Wales were the high points.

Drab draw against the United States, rode our luck in the early stages against R16 Senegal, and beaten by France in the QF.

Par for the course for England, but nothing more than that really.
There ya go…

Very unlucky against France - dismantled Iran - Wales is always so tough and did them a treat - really tricky last 16 game we absolutely bossed with a canter - really unlucky against France where big moments went against us. Funny how people see it - but that’s football. The general view on here though is so negative and odd… The Argies won 2 pen shootouts and lost their first game - fine margins in tourno football…

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Southgate got further than Robson and Venables.

Wonder what they are up to these days ?

0_Jerome-Flynn.jpg

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
But we have beaten Ukraine. :shrug:

Win at home, draw away, qualify. It’s not rocket science.

Should the land of hope and glory be winning every game ???
I don't think anyone is saying we should win every game. Most are saying theyre sick/bored of tired old team selections, limp football and lack of in-game ability to change a game. Its a bit like spurs fans at the moment - finally rid of the dirge football they've watched for years and 'got their Tottenham back' playing under a dynamic, exciting, forward thinking manager. Southgate is none of those. It's just awful shit football including players that shouldn't be in the squad let alone starting 11.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But we have beaten Ukraine. :shrug:

Win at home, draw away, qualify. It’s not rocket science.

Should the land of hope and glory be winning every game ???
Agreed 1-1 is a decent result away from home against Ukraine. Most other 'bigger' nations wouldn't be bothered by that. I really don't know why so many folk think that England should beat everyone home and away bar a small group of nations.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When a team defends resolutely we have no real answer, despite a plethora of exciting talent
England have got a decent team. Top ten in the world I'd say. But they are not the invincible team that some believe they should be. It's easy to forget other nations have quality teams too.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I try not to post on these threads as the comments seem totally bizarre to me. Like football and follow a club = follow your country. There’s no club v country - that’s just how it is. Nothing like a major tourno and annoyingly for many we’ve been really good in the last three 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
I do agree, but my frustration with England / Southgate is that we should be SO much better than we are. I desperately want England to win, but Southgate is clearly putting all his eggs in one basket and hoping that his mates that have got him to a semi and a final before will finally come good, without giving any shit whatsoever about anything beyond Summer 2024. If it works then fine, I’d take us not qualifying for a tournament for ten years if we actually won one. But if we don’t win it next Summer it is going to feel like we are back to square one again.

He is clearly a limited manager who’s done a cracking job in getting the players playing as a proper team, which is more than a string of top managers have managed in the past. But it all feels so fragile- don’t win it next year and he will be another failed England manager who will go on to have a disastrous couple of club management stints, before taking over the under 21’s or taking Dan Ashworth’s old role. Football has changed with the likes of RDZ coming through, and Southgate is miles behind the curve.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
There ya go…

Very unlucky against France - dismantled Iran - Wales is always so tough and did them a treat - really tricky last 16 game we absolutely bossed with a canter - really unlucky against France where big moments went against us. Funny how people see it - but that’s football. The general view on here though is so negative and odd… The Argies won 2 pen shootouts and lost their first game - fine margins in tourno football…
One man's negative and odd is another's realistic and understandable. But it's always been a game of opinions.

With a FIFA ranking at the time of 5, England beat Iran (20) and Wales (19), but failed to beat the United States (16).

We could easily have been a goal or two down against Senegal (18), but turned it round after a nervy first 25-30 minutes.

France (4) were the first and only side we played ranked above us as well as being the holders. And England lost.

So I'm still sticking with the view that it wasn't really good. It wasn't a disaster and certainly no disgrace, but no more than predicted.

We didn't lose to lower ranked teams, but didn't beat the only team we played that was higher. Par for the course.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
One man's negative and odd is another's realistic and understandable. But it's always been a game of opinions.

With a FIFA ranking at the time of 5, England beat Iran (20) and Wales (19), but failed to beat the United States (16).

We could easily have been a goal or two down against Senegal (18), but turned it round after a nervy first 25-30 minutes.

France (4) were the first and only side we played ranked above us as well as being the holders. And England lost.

So I'm still sticking with the view that it wasn't really good. It wasn't a disaster and certainly no disgrace, but no more than predicted.

We didn't lose to lower ranked teams, but didn't beat the only team we played that was higher. Par for the course.
Yeah that's what we do every tournament with Southgate. Generally beat teams we're supposed to and lose convincingly against teams equal or slightly better than us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here