[Football] England squad announcement - Lewis Dunk RECALLED!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk be selected for England today

• yes

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • no

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Do we simply have to accept that the level of tactical coaching to compete at the top club level (which we now have the pleasure of watching on a weekly basis) requires hours each day for weeks on end to achieve.

Something national coaches will not be able to achieve. And sticking 11 of 'your best' out there is all any national coach can do :shrug:
Yes but 11 of the best players for the system that will win the game

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Not a great point. I guess half the Ukrainian squad are fighting the Russians next week.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well then.
  • Waistcoatwanker is coming to the end of his reign.
  • Hodgson is around to no longer than the end of the season.
  • Waistcoatwanker plays turgid football.
  • Waistcoatwanker does not like change.
  • Beaky likes a perceived 'box office' story.
  • Beaky likes cautious managers.
Waistcoatwanker will be their next manager won't he? :lolol:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Well then.
  • Waistcoatwanker is coming to the end of his reign.
  • Hodgson is around to no longer than the end of the season.
  • Waistcoatwanker plays turgid football.
  • Waistcoatwanker does not like change.
  • Beaky likes a perceived 'box office' story.
  • Beaky likes cautious managers.
Waistcoatwanker will be their next manager won't he? :lolol:
It’s nailed on isn’t it. Brilliantly so.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Do we simply have to accept that the level of tactical coaching to compete at the top club level (which we now have the pleasure of watching on a weekly basis) requires hours each day for weeks on end to achieve.

Something national coaches will not be able to achieve. And sticking 11 of 'your best' out there is all any national coach can do :shrug:
Yeah, to a degree. Surely the team need a plan though ? I didn’t see one in the 1st half. Awful given the quality of players and poor opposition.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think whichever clown wrote this was smoking some strong stuff during that game. Wish I was.

TS and R5 tonight, are very very protective of the players and GS. Apparently the crowd noise was intimidating and the players/GS were concerned about Ukrainian’s counter attack as the game wore on. For example, Stuart Pearce … I guess a close mate of GS’s.

Airbrushing over half the players not turning up. Aside from perennial easy target Hendo. Saka, Bellingham, Rice, Chilwell offered absolutely nowt.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I guess there’s only me and @Sheebo left but I’m English and I support the national team. I don’t just suddenly start my interest when they get to the quarter finals of a big tournament and all my mates are suddenly off to the pub, faces painted. I want us to win qualifiers and friendlies too. I’ve got mates who follow England everywhere, a mate who lost an eye in Turkey following England.

I watched us under Hyypia, Case, Hinshlewood. Hopeless coaches selecting hopeless players. At no point did I post “come on Barnet / Port Vale / Blackpool you can beat this shit”.

I’m sure you’ll get loads of trendy likes, but ultimately devoting yourself to a club cause beyond your own nationality and culture leads to where Newcastle fans were last night, decked in Saudi shirts and cheering on bloodthirsty princes.
I try not to post on these threads as the comments seem totally bizarre to me. Like football and follow a club = follow your country. There’s no club v country - that’s just how it is. Nothing like a major tourno and annoyingly for many we’ve been really good in the last three 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well, we all view club/country differently. I’ve always only been interested in England at tournaments. It’s all about the pub and the atmosphere. It’s all about the big occasion. Not a new thing with Southgate. It’s not to be trendy. That’s just a defensive insult aimed at something people don’t like. Given all of that I don’t watch many England games pre tournaments. Saw the first half tonight and thought it was crap. Honest take. What I enjoy about football is competing in the English pyramid and England aren’t in it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
TS and R5 tonight, are very very protective of the players and GS. Apparently the crowd noise was intimidating and the players/GS were concerned about Ukrainian’s counter attack as the game wore on. For example, Stuart Pearce … I guess a close mate of GS’s.

Airbrushing over half the players not turning up. Aside from perennial easy target Hendo. Saka, Bellingham, Rice, Chilwell offered absolutely nowt.
I find it odd that many who correctly call out entitlement in the Premier League also think England should beat #TeamsLike Ukraine. They were as close to home as possible and are everyone’s second team. They have £100 million transfers in two players. A draw away from home given where we were in the table at the start is fine.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I try not to post on these threads as the comments seem totally bizarre to me. Like football and follow a club = follow your country. There’s no club v country - that’s just how it is. Nothing like a major tourno and annoyingly for many we’ve been really good in the last three 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
We weren't really good in the last one. 2 good group wins against dismal opposition in Iran and Wales were the high points.

Drab draw against the United States, rode our luck in the early stages against R16 Senegal, and beaten by France in the QF.

Par for the course for England, but nothing more than that really.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find it odd that many who correctly call out entitlement in the Premier League also think England should beat #TeamsLike Ukraine. They were as close to home as possible and are everyone’s second team. They have £100 million transfers in two players. A draw away from home given where we were in the table at the start is fine.

I suspect there are many here, who love England, but were gutted by the team’s performance and choice of substitutes.

Mine was a personal story as our family includes a Ukrainian refugee, I was desperate for them to get a result.

You are right, Ukraine were way better than being lazily lumped in with say Balkans national teams. Admirably and bravely they didn’t play a low block of 11 defenders.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely scandalous that we play like that with the players at our disposal. Cant wait to Southgate's gone but I don't trust the FA when it comes to hiring the next manager.

Assuming that multi-multi millionaire PL managers wouldn’t touch the job, instead loving their £15m a year and weekly fame, who would they recruit? The FA might not trust an overseas coach again.

Potter doesn’t deserve it imho.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Absolutely scandalous that we play like that with the players at our disposal. Cant wait to Southgate's gone but I don't trust the FA when it comes to hiring the next manager.
Potter probably lined up to replace Southgate after Euro's hence the reason why he's declined two job offers, so we'll be in for much of the same.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
As we do for every tourno …. then come away empty handed. He can’t beat the better teams. The annoying thing for me is that We have stood still, we play the same way as we did when he first started. Turgid, risk averse bollocks. when we play in red we look just like his middlesbrough side. Football has moved on, sadly he hasn’t.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Much like Brighton under Hughton in the final season, England are a highlights only team. Rubbish to watch, no idea and totally out of date management. It's not good enough, but we might get lucky with another favourable group draw and then maybe nick a shootout win before a noble defeat. And change of manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports