Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England may play some home games elsewhere than Wembley

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it? It seems to be UEFA's favourite stadium by a long way.

The construction was farcical, but I think it's a fantastic stadium.

It's a great stadium but not really needed IMHO. And the fact the owners are scratching around trying to find an anchor tenant speaks volumes. What makes you say it's UEFA's favourite? I agree they have won the European Championships finals package but after another nation strategically withdrew they were up against no one. I agree they've had a few other finals but so have other nations. It's not a stand-out favourite at all.

I feel it's better for England to move around the country and play outside London. You do not need a home stadium for the national team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This situation is farcicial.

The FA have built a stadium to host the national team at a vastly inflated price that they can't afford, then they get ready to offer a key tenancy to a rival sport while the national team "goes pikey" and hits the road.

Where is the strategy in this thinking? Surely those that have paid vast amounts for Wembley debentures have done so in the expectations they'll be getting to see England play at Wembley? Or will they be incentivised to convert to NFL?

And how will "going pikey" affect England's chances of qualifying for major tournaments? You'd expect that by tearing up the pre-Wembley routine and staying in different hotels all around the country that would be unsettling. A day out at Wembley is a big treat for many football fans, particular families. That aspect would be lost too.

I totally admire the NFL and the successful way they run their sport, from maintaining genuine competition via salary caps and the Draft system to marketing their sport overseas, the razzmatazz, the use of cameras to ensure practically all decisions reached by officials are correct. They make the FA and FIFA look like amateurs by comparison.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Wembley to put simply is the envy of the rest of the World, it is a truly breathtaking stadium.

I do agree though that it makes sense to allow England to play to the population around the country, last time it was a roaring success and wasn't just confined to the larger clubs. The likes of Ipswich, Derby and Southampton all got to stage games.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany :bla::bla::bla:

It does actually. The current world champions, Germany, use a variety of grounds for home fixtures.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
It's a great stadium but not really needed IMHO. And the fact the owners are scratching around trying to find an anchor tenant speaks volumes. What makes you say it's UEFA's favourite? I agree they have won the European Championships finals package but after another nation strategically withdrew they were up against no one. I agree they've had a few other finals but so have other nations. It's not a stand-out favourite at all.

I feel it's better for England to move around the country and play outside London. You do not need a home stadium for the national team.

Two Champions League Finals in the last four years. Semi Finals and Final of Euro 2020.

It's the second largest capacity of any stadium sports in Europe. They love it because they can charge what they like and know they'll fill it.

I do agree that England should go on the road and play, at the very least, friendly games away from London. But I do think a capital city, especially a Global top 5 city like London, should have a national stadium.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The FA have built a stadium to host the national team at a vastly inflated price that they can't afford, then they get ready to offer a key tenancy to a rival sport while the national team "goes pikey" and hits the road.

Where is the strategy in this thinking? Surely those that have paid vast amounts for Wembley debentures have done so in the expectations they'll be getting to see England play at Wembley? Or will they be incentivised to convert to NFL?

And how will "going pikey" affect England's chances of qualifying for major tournaments? You'd expect that by tearing up the pre-Wembley routine and staying in different hotels all around the country that would be unsettling. A day out at Wembley is a big treat for many football fans, particular families. That aspect would be lost too.

I totally admire the NFL and the successful way they run their sport, from maintaining genuine competition via salary caps and the Draft system to marketing their sport overseas, the razzmatazz, the use of cameras to ensure practically all decisions reached by officials are correct. They make the FA and FIFA look like amateurs by comparison.

When England were on the road they still qualified for the major tournaments. I think it was Euro 2008 they returned home for.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When England were on the road they still qualified for the major tournaments. I think it was Euro 2008 they returned home for.

Wembley is one of the things that differentiates international football from the treadmill of domestic and European football. Is a player more or less likely to retire from the England set-up if we stop playing at Wembley and start playing at St. James's Park and Villa Park? Right now, I couldn't blame James Milner, Glen Johnson, Phil Jagielka or even Wayne Rooney if they jacked it in to focus on keeping their place in their club sides.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Some years ago I did the Wembley tour and was surprised to learn that it was designed with double sized changing rooms. We were told that it would enable them to host NFL games among other things. This has always been the long game as far as Wembley is concerned. The relatively short NFL season could easily be accommodated. They are planning for when the debentures run out. It also has the 4 biggest restaurants in London, I heard.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
It is all to do with pricing. If it is £10 a ticket for San Marino it would be a sell out.
With the good stadiums in this country did we really need a national stadium. Take football to the masses.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

There is no competition, with half of the season gone & no relegation half of the teams have 8 meaningless games AND the owner can shift the team from its roots at the drop of a hat. Disgusting protectionist & selfish behaviour, respectively not forgetting the hundreds of head/neck injuries. Horrible way to run a sport & why the rest of the World ain't bothered

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally I think its a good idea to put the Englnd team on tour.

Whats the point in a half empty wemberley against Norway? Play it at St James Park to a full house.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I went to San Marino once,**** all there bar a cable cart

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is no competition, with half of the season gone & no relegation half of the teams have 8 meaningless games AND the owner can shift the team from its roots at the drop of a hat. Disgusting protectionist & selfish behaviour, respectively not forgetting the hundreds of head/neck injuries. Horrible way to run a sport & why the rest of the World ain't bothered

No competition? In the 22 seasons of the Premier League there have only been 5 winners, of which Man Utd have won 13 (Arsenal 3, Chelsea 3, City 2, Blackburn 1). Since 1998 only 5 sides have finished in the Top 2 places.

Contrast that with the NFL - in that same 22-year timespan there have been 22 different sides compete in the Superbowl, 13 different winners with no side winning more than 3 titles, and 6 different winners in the last 6 years.

The rest of the world ain't bothered? 3 sell-out matches this season at Wembley, so 250,000 fans through the turnstiles suggests otherwise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally I think its a good idea to put the Englnd team on tour.

Whats the point in a half empty wemberley against Norway? Play it at St James Park to a full house.

You mean the Sports Direct Stadium?

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea

Those that have permanent Wembley seats are on a 10 year lease, it runs out in 2017.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Listening to talkspite today, a presenter asked for 'alternative' venues and Danny Murphy (I think) said ours. Wasn't sure he was serious at first, but the presenter treated it that way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

im curious which of these points do you think would or could improve our Football, considering the well troden arguements against?

not that im against the NFL, this isnt about them so much as incompetence at the FA that they've ended up having to go begging to a foriegn sport to pay the bills, for a stadium most probably could happily live without.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here