Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Flags

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have a question, why do people write “England” on an English flag?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There was a time when they were almost exclusively right wing, if you look at footage of Italia 90 most of the flags out there with fans were union jack's, they became somewhat acceptable in the late 90s but have once again become a right wing flag predominantly which is why there are so few about compared to other tournaments in the past 25 years.

I agree. I find myself often sighing when I see the England flag flown. I shouldn't really. It's not like I feel any shame at being English, I don't. And many who fly it have no association with its downside (some doubtless on here).

But It's the way in which it has been hijacked by groups I don't want to be associated with. So I find myself distant.

The Union Jack started to phase out at Euro 96. The Sun taking the lead with all its handouts.

Thankfully the Sussex flag has no such connotations. Happy to fly that !

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I agree. I find myself often sighing when I see the England flag flown. I shouldn't really. It's not like I feel any shame at being English, I don't. And many who fly it have no association with its downside (some doubtless on here).

But It's the way in which it has been hijacked by groups I don't want to be associated with. So I find myself distant.

The Union Jack started to phase out at Euro 96. The Sun taking the lead with all its handouts.

I think the Union Jack may start to become more common again.
I saw a few being waved our last match and it looked fantastic.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I used to put an England flag on my car during Summer tournaments . There were loads of them about everywhere. It was obvious we were celebrating football, not being right wing extremists.
I hardly go about now, so I don’t And the only England flag I have seen was on old boy’s mobility scooter .
I don’t think it is due to being PC..... people are just not enthused about this tournament or the team.
That could change if we get beyond the quarter finals of course.

We flew the Sussex flag on Wednesday & drank some local beer �� too

Last edited by a moderator:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
No sign of your snowdog, but yes, I would love to wave my England flag. Please can you tell me where I can get the version that says I'm supporting England because it's my country and I'm proud of it and am supporting our team without being falsely identified by judgemental stereotyping c***s as a right wing, fascist, homophobic, racist nazi?

I'll await answers in the bear pit, where this is surely bound - those judgemental so-and-so's who delight in calling out people they've wrongly stereotyped get pretty narked, in my experience, when they get called out for what they are themselves. It's one of the things that I am reluctantly ashamed of about my country at the moment - the number of people out there who actually seem to want us to be ashamed of our country and ashamed of waving our flag to support our teams.

Do you ever think that maybe, just maybe, it's you that has the problem? What a ridiculous rant.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Out of interest, do you just ban one of his accounts or all of them?

Just the one. It’ll be interesting to see if those accounts get up to any tricksy stuff in relation to this matter. If they do, they’ll go for good.

el punal

cecbbaa078ab306273d3b84148733b44.jpg

My office/shed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect! The Cross of St.George - the National flag of England. Not adorned with ENGLAND written across it in case some thick tw*t didn’t realise it’s . . . . well, the flag of ENGLAND, not some monstrosity advertising tat like Carlsberg, JJB Sports or other such nonsense, not with blue(!) lions rampant in each of the four quarters representing the THREE lions. Just keep it simple!

On the other hand, by all means have your club name written across the horizontal band, or the club badge decorating the top left quarter - after all, you are proudly representing club and country and not promoting some sleazy marketing gimmick.

There, rant over! I shall now sit down in my comfy chair with my pipe and slippers. En avent England! :drink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So have the people who want you to be ashamed of your country succeeded in their cunning plan by making you ashamed of your country?

Maybe you could foil them by not being ashamed of your country?:shrug:

No, I'm proud of my country, just ashamed that it contains fvckwits that want us to be ashamed of it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Love seeing the flags from the smaller and non-league teams up at England matches.

Here's my current favourite:

National.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the Union Jack may start to become more common again.
I saw a few being waved our last match and it looked fantastic.

Who's last match? Hopefully not an England game as the Union flag is the British flag, not England's. Great for the Olympics or British and Irish Lions Rugby though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here